Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:09:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Report on use of Pardus 2008 for one monh in office environment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Report on use of Pardus 2008 for one monh in office environment  (Read 1557 times)
william5

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 17:52:27 PM »

Hi,

I am the only Linux user in a small office with various desktops and laptops running Windows XP. I have two laptops on my desk (a Fujitsu Lifebook series and a Medion system) and they communicate between themselves and the Windows computers (file exchanges, etc.) I have been a fan of Linux for 5 years now and I have been looking for the Linux system that does 'everything' that we need in a professional office, is easy to install, is easy to use and, most importantly, keeps doing that for a long time. Most Linux distros that I have used work fine initially, but after heavy daily use something suddenly stops working, or the the system does not want to start one morning. And I have tried around 15 systems, including the well-know ones. Even Ubuntu has that problem, I found. It is a great system, but after a few weeks of heavy use, it began to show problems that I cannot solve. The forums are not always helpful for finding solutions to such kind of problems.

The purpose of this message is to list the problems which I have seen so far with PARDUS 2008. Several have been reported by others as well and some have been reported as bugs. Yes, I find Pardus 2008 the best and most stable system for general professional use (so far), but there are still some problems, which I have not been able to solve.

- The compact-flash dirve on my Fujitsu is not seen by Pardus 2008 and having the CF disk inserted delays booting by  3 minutes.
- My soundcard on the Medion (a Realtek system) does not work; also reported by others; reported as bug by others; the Intel card on my Fujitsu works fine, however.
- I have two wireless internet connections, one at work (encrypted) and one at home (non-encrypted); Pardus 2008 has difficulties connecting to the right one when I move the Fujitsu system between home and work. The other laptop stays in my office at work and connects perfectly to the same wireles signal every morning.
- I like Abiword for a word processor, but it is nowhere to be seen in the repositories, it seems. Any ideas? Abiword does not download as an easy to install package from its own website.
- I cannot tether my AT&T 8525 PDA to the laptops with Pardus 2008, as the required software (svn) does not want to compile properly. It does that very well in Ubuntu and Sabayon, which I also have on my Fujitsu. It gives me internet connection with up to 600 kbps download speed in cases where there is no wireless signal around. Pardus 2008 would be a great system if I got this to work on the Pardus 2008 partition also.
- There is a bug in the pisibul version for Pardus 2008, also reported by others. As a result, it does not work.
- Firefox 3.01 freezes often, especially when you want to play an animation (also reported by others). I have never seen that same effect in other distros. One can stop the freeze by hitting Ctrl-Alt+Esc, but this problem needs to be corrected.
- Why Pardus uses the pisi format for packages is a mystery to me. There is no other Linux system that dos that, to my knowledge. The use of the package manager is very easy, but installing *.deb or *.rpm or tar balls is not so eay. Why not use synaptic (apt-get) that many other distros use? It is much easier and it enables you to install non-official packages from dozens of repositories. Pardus 2008 has only two repositories.

Thes are some of my experiences with Pardus 208 which is my system of choice now. I would really like comments or suggestions.

william5
=====

miltonjohn2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 18:48:13 PM »

did you try Kanotix, too?Huh?
Its debian-stable-based and a good support with a very good hardware-detection....
william5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 20:02:31 PM »

did you try Kanotix, too?Huh?
Its debian-stable-based and a good support with a very good hardware-detection....

No, I did no try that one. My philosophy was initially - being a newbie in Linux land - to try all the big names first, Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, etc. How well are they suited to really replace Windows XP? None of them really performed well and consistently over a lenghty period of time of heavy use in an office. Since there are more than 500 Linux distros available, I then kept watching Distrowatch.com and tried every new one that came out (in at least the RC or final version). I was hoping to find what I would call a 'jewel'. I believe I found two, Sabayon 3.5 and Pardus 2008. All others were incomplete, did not recognize hardware well, or began to show defects soon after use. I am now comparing Sabayon 3.5 vs. Pardus 2008 head-to-head and Sabayon seems to be the loser. Although it is very comprehensive, it has given me some problems forcing me to re-install it three times. Pardus has remained perfectly stable with only the minor irritations I mentioned in my previous post. With a little additional polishing it can easily become the best Linux in the business, I feel.   
miltonjohn2
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 20:23:41 PM »

kanotix is a jewel as well... but i switched to pardus cause of some bugs and kano is a perfect developer so kanotix on Etch is still RC.... Wink
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:58:07 AM »

With hardware problems the name Medion pops up on every forum. This is not strange because it is not realy a brand but the name of Aldi computers, and they use just the cheapest hardware with no help to the Linux community.
Also card readers hare a problem on all distro's. I hope a bug report can solve most of the problems.
Welcome, good to here that Pardus is youre system of choice!!

For freedom...
Andreas
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:06:05 AM »

I hope a bug report can solve most of the problems.

Completely my opinion, because I wrote a lot of Bugs and many Bugs are now fixed. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
dnelub

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:25:20 AM »

It is great report. I hope developers will take in considiration because I have some same problems  Wink Meanwhile it is good to hear Pardus 2008 goes over the other....
william5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 15:31:39 PM »

I hope a bug report can solve most of the problems.

Completely my opinion, because I wrote a lot of Bugs and many Bugs are now fixed. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas

Good to hear that you agree, Andreas. How do we get hold of these bug fixes such as pisibul and the Firefox freeze. I do not see them in the package manager yet.

william5
=====
Andreas
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 15:41:57 PM »

How do we get hold of these bug fixes such as pisibul and the Firefox freeze. I do not see them in the package manager yet.

At fist you must give the developers time.

Second you should create a Bugzilla account here

Subsequently you should add your Mail address under the concerned Bug.

Then you will informed about pieces of news.

Greetings
Andreas

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 15:50:14 PM by Andreas » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: