Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:01:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  RealPlayer
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RealPlayer  (Read 4057 times)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2008, 19:33:29 PM »

Hi everybody,

I wish RealPlayer11 were included in the repository.
A pisi package is already available and works fine for me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 14:41:51 PM by Eren.Turkay » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 20:15:47 PM »

RealPlayer has vulnerabilities and it's really hard to maintain. Instead of packing and dealing with RealPlayer, it was deleted from repositories. I suggest that you use VLC as it is more secure and useful.

Additionally, please do not trust 3rd packages distributed with rapidshare (or other way) by 3rd person. When you install RealPlayer, you will not be aware of vulnerabilities it has in the future and one day, someone can use these vulnerabilities to break your computer Smiley
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »

I suggest that you use VLC as it is more secure and useful.

See also my bugreport: http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=7905

I cant say that VLC enriched my Pardus experience, it just crashes Firefox on certain moments. I would say it is just in the testphase.

For freedom...
dnelub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

Hi william,

I dont know what you are using for listening music in Pardus 2008 but I think mediaplayer plugin in repo will be your solution. I am using it and dont have any problem. Just in case I check the website that you mentioned in the bug report, it works very well.

take care...
Andreas
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »

@ Willem

Without the VLC-plugin for Firefox all works fine by me and I can listen all streams from http://www.nederland.fm/ very well.  Wink

I have only installed the mediaplayer-plugin.

Greetings
Andreas

Edit: Sorry, I mean the gecko-mediaplayer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:58:20 AM by Andreas » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »

RealPlayer has vulnerabilities and it's really hard to maintain. Instead of packing and dealing with RealPlayer, it was deleted from repositories. I suggest that you use VLC as it is more secure and useful.

I use RealPlayer to play some RealMedia streams Mplayer fails to read. I will give VLC a try.

Additionally, please do not trust 3rd packages distributed with rapidshare (or other way) by 3rd person.

It was not distributed with rapidshare by a third person, it is distributed with rapidshare by me, as I can't remember the original website that provide it.

When you install RealPlayer, you will not be aware of vulnerabilities it has in the future and one day, someone can use these vulnerabilities to break your computer Smiley

OK.

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

RealPlayer is not free software. You already have MPlayer, SMPlayer, VLC, format converters, and plugins.

Are we commited here with free software or not? There are still a lot of things to do, but the develpment model of GNU/Linux is good. So will also be good for applications. We must support GPLv3, open formats, and open standards.

Cheers!  Smiley

http://boycottnovell.com/

I suppose you don't listen to mp3 files, do not watch movies in Windows format, do not use proprietary nvidia or ATI 3D drivers, never watch flash web animations or movies...

Pardus try to provide both ease of use and Libre software philosophy, not just philosophy at the expense of usability. For that you have Fedora and a few others Linux distributions.

atolboo
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »

I have only installed the mediaplayer-plugin.
mediaplayer-plugin. Huh? I can't find anything with this name.
Is this gecko-mediaplayer and/or flashplugin?
Andreas
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »

Is this gecko-mediaplayer and/or flashplugin?

I mean the gecko-mediaplayer. Sorry. that was a mistake of me. Wink

Andreas
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

Hello,

the pisi-package of RealPlayer 11.0 you find in the users-Repo. Wink

http://paketler.pardus-linux.org/users-2008/

I edit the Thread as solved.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 13:07:42 PM by Andreas » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 13:23:58 PM »

PhiX,

Before sharing music or videos you can convert to non-patented formats, you can promote the use of ODF in your incoming emails, you can use GPLv3, ...

I underdstand what you are saying, but it's irrelevant in my case, because :

1) It's not about sharing my files, it's about playing multimedia streams provided by a website ;

2) ODF is not a multimedia format and is not related to RealPlayer whatsoever;

3) Sometimes RealPlayer is the only program that can play certains RealMedia streams.

PS : Thanks, Andreas, for the information.

Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 14:41:21 PM »

Hello,

the pisi-package of RealPlayer 11.0 you find in the users-Repo. Wink

http://paketler.pardus-linux.org/users-2008/

I edit the Thread as solved.

Greetings
Andreas

Andreas, this repository is not handled by Pardus developers and there is no security policy it. Package makers for this repository are not aware of security bugs of their packages and I suggest that you don't use and suggest it to users Smiley

For example, GTK1 (which is *officially* not supported) is in this repository and no-one maintains it. Also, GTK1 may contain security bugs..
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 14:43:55 PM »

I edited the topic to delete "solved". The solution for this topic is not adding a repository and installing RealPlayer. We can't just suggest users to add a repository and install unmaintained application(s), it may harm their systems..
Andreas
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 14:51:33 PM »

Hello Eren,

I can`t understand, what the Pardus developer have against the Users-Repo.

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 15:18:55 PM by Andreas » Logged
miltonjohn2
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 16:18:07 PM »

Andreas, this repository is not handled by Pardus developers and there is no security policy it. Package makers for this repository are not aware of security bugs of their packages and I suggest that you don't use and suggest it to users Smiley

For example, GTK1 (which is *officially* not supported) is in this repository and no-one maintains it. Also, GTK1 may contain security bugs..

Thats why eren dont like the Users.org repo! No maintainers in specific!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 17:35:14 PM by Andreas » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: