Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:51:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [solved]Can't get resolution right after installing nvidia driver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]Can't get resolution right after installing nvidia driver  (Read 2050 times)
thecdn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008, 16:31:15 PM »

After being away for a week I ran a large update on Saturday and upon reboot pardus went to the command line. I logged in and ran 'startx' and it said there was a mismatch between the version of the nvidia driver and the kernel - sorry, don't recall the exact error.

I didn't how to address this so I just simply did a reinstall. On first boot it came up with the proper resolution - 1600x1200 - but when I installed the nvidia driver through tasma, it booted into 800x600. I tried several times with the same result.

After another clean install I ran 'pisi up' from the command line to update the kernel first, then tried the tasma route, same result. Then I did another clean install, ran 'pisi up', installed nvidia-new from the command line, rebooted, ran nvidia-xconfig, and still 800x600. Then I edited xorg.conf to change the res to 1600x1200, saved it, rebooted, and the change didn't stay! Xorg.conf still show 800x600 even after I edited and saved it.

Right now I've got a fully updated pardus with nvidia-drivers-new installed (installed and tried nvidia-drivers as well) with a resolution stuck at 800x600 that I can't change through either tasma or manual editing of xorg.conf

Any ideas as to what I can do to get my resolution back to 1600x1200 with an nvidia driver installed?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:46:01 AM by Andreas » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 17:43:31 PM »

Hello,

after update new Kernel and new nvidia-drivers I had the same problem.

Than I installed the nvidia-drivers-new for my Graficcard and configurate it after install by Tasma.

Tasma > System > Display-Manager

My resolution is 1024 x 768 and after reboot all was o.k.  Smiley

You can change the resolution with "KRandRTray". Did you try it?

Greetings
Andreas
CaptainCookie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 22:51:18 PM »

Just in case X won't start again:

While in GRUB, press f3 and select 'failsafe'. This way, Pardus will select the VESA driver. This way you can reconfigure your card properly, or at least get in KDE Smiley You also don't need to reïnstall Pardus.

thecdn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »

Ok, did another install from scratch (I know I don't have to, but it's just as easy for me as I'm in no rush). This time without updating anything I installed the nvidia-drivers-new through tasma and it worked with the proper resolution - 1600x1200.

Then I got out of X with a ctrl-alt-f1 and ran 'pisi up' which updated everything including the kernel and the nvidia drivers.

Now, when I try to start pardus, I get:

"API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 173.14.09, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.12. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA components have the same version."

I just saw on the Arch forum some people who use NVIDIA having problems after the latest round of updates and one proposed solution was reverting to earlier versions of both the kernel and nvidia drivers.

Does anyone have any simple or elegant ideas to fix this issue here?
andrewb
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 15:22:42 PM »

Just to report that I'm having the same problem after the 78 updates from last week. I used the "History Manager" (fantastic!) to roll back a week and am now happily running Pardus at the correct resolution once again.

However, "Package Manager" wants to update 78 packages again (of course).  I haven't fully experimented, but many of the updates want to install the new kernel as a dependency, which seems to be at the root of the problem.  I think I'll just leave any updating until a fix is found.

Should this be reported as a bug?
Andreas
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 17:05:57 PM »

Should this be reported as a bug?

Hello,

you can write a bug. Why not.

I don`t have this problem after installing all new updates. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
andrewb
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 15:08:50 PM »

Just to let you know how I fixed this (worked for me, anyway):

I used History Manager to rool back a week (pre kernel updates)

Uninstalled the nvidia driver

Installed all the updates, including the new kernel

Reinstalled the nvidia driver

Then everything was as fantastic as I'm come to expect!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: