Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:29:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  KDE4.1 anyone?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KDE4.1 anyone?  (Read 3917 times)
andrewb
« on: August 23, 2008, 21:45:37 PM »

I was just wondering whether anyone had installed KDE4.1 on Pardus?  I notice that it's in the repos.  I've tried a couple of live cds, so I realise it's not the finished product yet, but I was thinking of installing it next to my KDE3 version.

I'm assuming that if I do install it, it will leave my KDE3 install intact and require selection at the login screen?  Or would it be better to create a new install (I've a partition sitting here free, for experimentation) and add KDE4 to that?

Whatever I do, I want to ensure that my existing KDE3 install is safe- by far the best Linux distro I've tried (and therefore very precious!)

Thanks in advance
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »

Hello,

I think, the following Thread can give you the answer:  Wink

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1532.0

Greetings
Andreas
andrewb
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »

Thanks Andreas

So I can install the 4.1 packages "in parallel" with 3.5?  In other words 3.5 won't be erased?

If so I'll have a try, and report back in a few days
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »

Found this KDE4.1 screenshot in the turkish forum:

http://www.ozgurlukicin.com/forum/kurulan-cd/1813/?page=1

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Andreas
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

In other words 3.5 won't be erased?

I think so.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
andrewb
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

Thanks for your help, guys.  I'll let you know how I get on in a day or two!

The screen shots look interesting
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 15:40:58 PM »

Just gave it a try.

In PISI Package manager I installed all packages in category kde4

Then I closed all programs and did CTL-ALT-F1

In the terminal as root do:
Code:
service kdebase off
servcie kdebase4_workspace on
servcie kdebase4_workspace start
I got an error message but upon rebooting my PC I started up in the KDE 4.1 modus.

First impression not too bad however (of course) many software is not yet ported to KDE4, some of them are even absent in the menu (in my case e.g. Kaffeine, but that might be a personal bug).

* shotkde4.png (418.87 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 109 times.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 19:57:00 PM by Michiel » Logged

dnelub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 15:58:14 PM »

It looks nice but it is hardly possible to say that Pardus is truely compatible with KDE 4.x yet. Personally I suggest you wait a little bit more but just give a try if you are able to handle all problems that you will face.
This is my personal experience, I tried but really didnt work properly and turned back KDE 3.5 immediately  Grin
Andreas
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 15:58:48 PM »

Hello,

it looks very good.  Smiley Perhaps I install KDE 4.1 on my PC too.

Greetings
Andreas
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 16:00:41 PM »

It looks nice but it is hardly possible to say that Pardus is truely compatible with KDE 4.x yet. Personally I suggest you wait a little bit more but just give a try if you are able to handle all problems that you will face.
This is my personal experience, I tried but really didnt work properly and turned back KDE 3.5 immediately  Grin

I fully agree with you, it was just a try-out, but my current working environment will remain Kde 3.5.9 for the moment

update: and safely returned back in kde 3.5 now  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 16:05:30 PM by Michiel » Logged

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 13:26:11 PM »

Hi @all

KDE 4.1 in the Pardus Repositories isn't for production Desktop. It is stable but noch configured fully. Tasma, Package-Manager in example does still use the old KDE 3.5.9 interface. In K-Menu is not complete.

So I can install the 4.1 packages "in parallel" with 3.5?  In other words 3.5 won't be erased?

Yes, KDE 3.5.1 won't be erased but you also can't switch between KDE 4 and KDE 3.x at the login screen. Man can only use one of them. Deinstallation of KDE 4 is also very difficult (you cant deinstall KDE 4 by running KDE 4 session ...), you need to use an other Desktop i.e. FluxBox to remove KDE 4 packages.

I prefer to wait a while, until KDE 4 is default in Pardus ...
On the way, two screenshots of my "old" KDE 4.1 Desktop (I'm still using KDE 3.5.9)

* sshot-0.png (341.78 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 91 times.)

* sshot-1.png (481.8 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 96 times.)

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
andrewb
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 18:13:55 PM »

Interesting to read other people's experiences.  Pretty much the same as mine.

I soon discovered that the login screen was not going to give me a choice (thanks LinuxFanatic!), so I spent a few hours on 4.1, worrying about my precious 3.5.9 install, and whether I would ever get it back.  Maybe Michiel's method would have allowed easier switching?

As I expected, it's clearly a work in progress, similar to the other live KDE4.1 distros I've tried. 

Within a couple of minutes the kicker icon (is it still called that?) had disappeared from the panel.  No idea why, so I then set up a plasmoid on the desktop to allow me access to the menu. I couldn't work out how to get it back on the panel and in fact the icons on the panel seemed to have a life of their own.

Talking of the desktop, every time I played with any setting regarding the display (even the font settings) every plasmoid ran away into the top left hand corner, all overlapping each other.  Fixable, but annoying.

I guess I imagined that there would be more of a "Pardus" presence in 4.1 that there was.  No Tasma, no package manager etc.  With hindsight, I can understand why, of course.

Otherwise things worked fine, though in the few hours I spent I couldn't quite see any advantage over 3.5.9.  Maybe once the bugs are ironed out and it becomes a real Pardus version?  It does look good, though!

LinuxFanatic, you suggested that uninstalling ws going to be difficult.  I simply listed all the installed packages using pisi list-installed and then removed all the ones pertaining to KDE4.  I then rebooted, held my breathe and everything went back to my lovely KDE3.5.9 setup.  I've not noticed any side effects, so I think I got away with it.
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 19:02:11 PM »

LinuxFanatic, you suggested that uninstalling ws going to be difficult.  I simply listed all the installed packages using pisi list-installed and then removed all the ones pertaining to KDE4.  I then rebooted, held my breathe and everything went back to my lovely KDE3.5.9 setup.  I've not noticed any side effects, so I think I got away with it.

When I tried to remove all selected KDE 4 Packages (by running KDE 4.1), than I get an error message from COMAR. So I loged into my FluxBox Desktop an there it was possible to remove all the KDE 4 stuff, without any erros messages.

This ^ is one of my experience with KDE 4.1 on Pardus. The rest ist similar as your feedback.

PS. have a look at your home folder, there are lots of hidden KDE 4.1 log-files. These files you do not really need, you can remove them. You will also find some KDE 4 files in /tmp/... too.

If you compare KDE 4.1 with KDE 3.5.9 (as normal desktop user), so you will find only one big difference. KDE 4.x has more "Eye Candy" stuff, but it is not really beter than the old one.
I think KDE 4.1 need's more time so work as stable as KDE 3.5.9 and so I will wait until Pardus comes with KDE 4.x by default ...

andrewb
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 19:11:17 PM »

If you compare KDE 4.1 with KDE 3.5.9 (as normal desktop user), so you will find only one big difference. KDE 4.x has more "Eye Candy" stuff, but it is not really beter than the old one.
I think KDE 4.1 need's more time so work as stable as KDE 3.5.9 and so I will wait until Pardus comes with KDE 4.x by default ...

Spot on.  Maybe one day, but not yet!

Thanks for the tips regarding those hidden files- all now gone.  I'll expect I'll be back for 4.2, or when the Pardus developers adopt KDE4.x as the main version, but in the meantime.........
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 19:17:39 PM »

Spot on.  Maybe one day, but not yet!

Hehe, I hope all best for KDE 4.x, because I'm a confident KDE user and so I will stay as KDE user in future too (!)  Wink Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: