Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:50:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [solved] Problems with Grub
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Problems with Grub  (Read 2415 times)
andrewb
« on: September 01, 2008, 18:45:16 PM »

I have a partition that I like to experiment with.  This morning I installed PCLOS Minime, installing its own Grub on the MBR.  Normally I then go into the new distro's Menu.lst file and copy the Pardus entry from the Pardus menu.lst on its partition to the new one (hope that makes sense?).  I've done this dozens of times, but PCLOS doesn't want to recognise the  pardus install.  This is what the menu.lst looks like in PCLOS:

timeout 6
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd1,5)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 0

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title PCLOS Linux
kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=PCLOS_Linux root=/dev/hdb6 acpi=on splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd.img

title Pardus 2008 [2.6.25.14-106]
root (hd1,6)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25.14-106 root=LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT vga=791 splash=silent quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.25.14-106

Any ideas what's wrong?  So far as I can see the drive ids are correct (Windows at hda1, so hd0,0; PCLOS at hdb6, so hd1,5 and Pardus at hdb7, so hd1,6).

I've read a couple of online guides to Grub, but my tiny brain couldn't cope.  Maybe I should be posting this in the PCLOS forums- is their Grub unusual in some way?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 14:52:31 PM by andrewb » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 19:04:49 PM »

There is actually a difference in the GRUB version used by Pardus : it is 256 bits. The other GRUB (PCLOS, Ubuntu) are 128 bits. This means you will not be able to boot Pardus from the GRUB of PCLOS.

You should install GRUB in the MBR within Pardus and then add other distro's entries to Pardus's
menu.lst.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 19:06:20 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
andrewb
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 19:11:24 PM »

Thanks Phix.

That's bad news for PCLOS,as I'm not about to wipe my nice Pardus setup.  I can live without it (PCLOS).  Maybe supergrub can restore the Pardus Grub?  I used it once, I seem to remember.  I might have a try.

That's interesting information regarding the different types of GRUB- I didn't know that.  I've not used Ubuntu, but I think Mint was fine (as were Mepis, Arch, Sabayon and many others)!

Thanks again
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 19:37:21 PM »

Hello andrewb,

please have a look in this Thread  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
andrewb
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 19:58:40 PM »

Thanks Andreas.  I thought I'd searched the forums!

I'm just about to see if I can restore Pardus's GRUB using Supergrub, then I'll add PCLOS to that.

Failing that, I'll reinstall Mepis Antix, which worked fine with Pardus

I'll let you know
miltonjohn2
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 20:42:28 PM »

i got the same problem now, but i think it has something to do with the label-thing and a special ext3-format???
andrewb
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 21:23:24 PM »

Just to let you know that Supergrub didn't find the Pardus GRUB.  I'm just reinstalling Mepis AntiX alongside Pardus- here's hoping this picks up Pardus!
miltonjohn2
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »

Dont think so - Mepis just recognizes Mepis itself and Windows....
in the End you'll get the old Problem back  Cheesy

but Ubuntu picks it up - maybe it has something to do with Grub2?Huh?
andrewb
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »

Hi Miltonjohn2

You're right, Mepis only picks up Windows automatically, but it's then easy to copy the Pardus entry from the menu.lst in the GRUB from the Pardus patrition to the menu.lst in Mepis.  That works ok.  Not many distros pick up other linuxes in GRUB (Sabayon, does I think?).

I've now got Mepis Antix with added KDE on my "experimental partition".  It's pretty much Debian, but takes less configuring than the real thing.  Mepis itself always has a few problems for me, though I like the idea.

I quite liked the PCLOS mini-me install I had for a few hours yesterday.  Pretty quick and easy to set up.

Nothing comes close to Pardus though!

Hope you solve your problems.  Would the method I've described work for you (though not for PCLOS, due to the 128bit GRUB)?
atolboo
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »

I'm just about to see if I can restore Pardus's GRUB using Supergrub, then I'll add PCLOS to that.
Just to let you know that Supergrub didn't find the Pardus GRUB.  I'm just reinstalling Mepis AntiX alongside Pardus- here's hoping this picks up Pardus!
If Supergrub uses the 128 bit grub it explains why it doesn't find Pardus.

My suggestion: Restore Pardus Grub with http://en.pardus-wiki.org/HOWTO:Restore_Grub and use the "With Pardus 2008.x CD" section.
In this way you use a 256 bit version to restore grub.
andrewb
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

Thanks Atolboo

I did try doing what you suggested, having found it in the wiki.  I'm sure it was something I was doing wrong, but I couldn't get it to work.  I did find the instructions a bit confusing here:

Select the disk by adding 0, or 1,. In this example I will select hd0.
Press after root (hd0, or root (hd1, the Tab key. This will list your partitions in hd0/hd1.
  Check for the Pardus partition number by looking for disk format ext3 or ext2fs.
  In our example partition number 4 is selected. Change it when necessary.
Write root (hd0,4) and press Enter. ( 4 is your Pardus partition as mentioned at previous item )
Write setup (hd0) and press Enter.

I assumed that in my case I needed to select disk hd1,6 (as that's where Pardus is) then "write root" would be hd0,0 for the mbr.  All I got were error messages, however (can't recall what they said)

I've solved the problem in the short term, with my Mepis install (see above), so I'm reluctant to fiddle any more, but thanks for your help.  I (almost) know what to do next time!
atolboo
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 13:08:02 PM »

I assumed that in my case I needed to select disk hd1,6 (as that's where Pardus is) then "write root" would be hd0,0 for the mbr.  All I got were error messages, however (can't recall what they said)
The right sequense would be, in this case:
root (hd1,6)
setup (hd0)
andrewb
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 14:51:45 PM »

Haha!  I got it the wrong way round.  No wonder it didn't work.  Undecided

Thanks again!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: