Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 23:37:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  ( SOLVED )Hold Back Updates
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ( SOLVED )Hold Back Updates  (Read 4814 times)
linuxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 02:41:57 AM »

I filed a bug report. It is not a bug.
Pisi forces you to make system.base updates
> http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=8564 > This is a bad feature for me to continue using Pardus . It's very sad that we are forced to take updates we don't want or need.  This is the first and only OS I have ever used that I can not hold back updates from being installed. Their is nothing more I can do with Pardus.  Well it looks like I now have an extra partition to use.

Registered Linux User # 418555
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:20 AM »

I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense to force security updates of packages belonging to the base system.
Is there a compelling reason you don't want to update your kernel and kernel modules ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
linuxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »

Yes their is. I use to update my kernel in my other systems that I had. I have never yet seen anything different after updating the kernel. Besides creating isses like broken modules where it breakes USB, sound. video, etc. IMO  kernel updates are for people who does not have anything better to do than fix and repair their systems. When I install an OS which is always a fresh install, If everything is detected and works which is normal for me, my computer is very Linux friendly. Why play with it. What I have learned using Linux, watch what you update and stay away from kernel updates. I use 8 different Linux OS which all are rock solid stable. I like using my systems not repairing them. Linux is about choice, Pardus is forcing user to take the updates, if you don't you can't install the other appls. you need to use your system. Very bad feature for Linux users.

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »

@ Linuxwizard, interesting prespective, you'd recommend not updating? (I'm considering it...)

linuxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »

Hello Mhmrcs

No I am not saying not to update but be careful what you update and never a kernel update. Their are somethings you may need to update but with Pardus you have no choice but to update everything. Or don't use Pardus.

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 13:42:42 PM »

I completely understand your point, linuxwizard. I, too, tend to not change what works fine. Nevertheless, I trust the Pardus develloppers team to be careful with the updates they provide and its ability to resolve bugs quickly.
If I want an application before updating the base system, I will compile and install it from source code. That situation idn't occur yet, so I'm OK with this Pardus security policy.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 17:28:43 PM »

Hi,

I'm giving it another go, this time without contrib ticked in package manager, but I see there are 95 updates available.  These kernel updates must have come out last week. 

So, I tried ticking off a singular package; amarok, cups, firefox, to see what PiSi would do and for each singular item ticked, it would say that 38 additional dependencies would be installed.  So, I decided to choose Amarok,  and the first one PiSi is fetching is kernel.  51.86mb total.

It will be interesting to see what happens if my ISP cuts me off - which is normally after 3 and especially 4 hours of online time.  These downloads will take a little over 4 hours.  I've always had problems with KDE's Adept Package Manager crashing when my ISP disconnected me.  When I would restart the download, Adept would start all over from the beginning, not remembering what had been fetched.  I see with PiSi I have the option of bandwidth speed as well as saving packages cached to disk.  I'll have to look into these options, as they may be better for someone with dial - up.

Lisa Marie
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 17:34:03 PM »

@ Lisa, don't know about updates... But if you wish to install new programs, use the webites listed: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2288.0, when you download them with your browser you can stop the download the resume whenever.

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 17:37:21 PM »

Lisa, I advise you to download the packages first, and then install them. This way, in case of internet deconnection, you can complete your downloads with the missing packages whitout screwing the process, because all packages are downloaded and cached for future use to /var/cache/pisi/packages.

Here is the command-line to achieve this :
Code:
sudo pisi upgrade -f
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 17:54:23 PM by PhiX » Logged

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 16:34:50 PM »

Thanks Mhmrcs and PhiX,  as this is good to know, another way for me to learn to fethch downloads, but I will learn it quickly enough.

So far, when I start PiSi package manager and choose an application to install, if I disconnect the connection during download, PiSi cat is still waking from sleep and thinking of Fish  Grin, whereas if I disconnect during a download using say, Synaptic, Synaptic will give errors saying so and so packages weren't fetched, and asks me if I want to ignore getting these packages.  I choose "no" and it brings me back to the Synaptic packages I have ticked for install.  I usually wait about 5 minutes before re-dialing and then click, "apply" and it will continue where it left off of whatever it partially downloaded of the last appl. it was retrieving. 

With PiSi, if I disconnect or the ISP cuts me off, the PiSi cat is still waking from sleep, and I don't get a message that the update was unable to be retrieved.  So, I figure that it will automatically resume upon re-dial, thinking it would continue where it left off, but it does not.  It doesn't do anything, except to dream of Fish.. I hit "cancel" and have to start all over from beginning again.  So, I am glad to know another way to retrieve packages with resume capability.  I'm sure in the future, that Pardus will work this out to make it a bit more GUI easy for this situation.

A note: before the initial fetch updates, I am able to to choose singular applications from PiSi.  I did Amarok this way, and it took about 17 minutes. 

Again, thanks for the big help, as this was a concern for me.  Dial up stinks, but you'd be amazed at how many people have no other choice for internet connection

Regards,
Lisa Marie

linuxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 23:27:42 PM »

Hello
Have not been to the forum for awhile I thought I had  marked this thread as solved after I figured out how to hold the updates back and able to install on appl. or program without being forced to take the unwanted updates.

To install a update you want and hold back all the other ones you do not want > su pisi upgrade (package name ) --ignore-safety   (have to do this for each update you want)

To install a new appl. or package you want and holds back all unwanted updates > su pisi it (appl. or package name) --ignore-safety  ( it will install all dependences)

I have been using the above and have not had any issues. I have Pardus setup the way I want and the appls. I use. I wasn't for sure if I would  have problems with the above but system is stable no lockups or issues, working great. It is a real pain having to do things this way but if you want to use Pardus but don't want the forced on you updates this works. I am only going to keep Pardus a few more weeks than I am done with it. Have some new releases of other Linux OSes coming out, so I don't have to put up with these issues of updating & installing.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 16:40:47 PM »

Thanks LinuxWizard!  This will be helpful for me as some required updates do take me a long time to fetch via the phone line, so your how-to of being able to have some control over update selection is appreciated.

Regards,
Lisa Marie

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 16:37:15 PM »

I did a reinstall of Pardus 2008.1 and after clicking "show upgradeable packages" I have listed 166 in PiSi.  The system dependencies comes to about 62 packages, a total of 68mb or so, which is over 6 hours for me to download. 

I am trying to use the ignore safety promp to install just the new kernel, which is about 19mb in size,  but it isn't working.  Any suggestions? Is it ia syntax problem? Since this is a kernel upgrade, I should be doing this as root I assume.  My user has the default admin. privelages, but the last time I tried this through the PiSi GUI, I had to do it as root to install the kernel.  Thanks for looking!
Lisa Marie

Code:
~ $ su pisi upgrade kernel --ignore-safety
su: unrecognized option '--ignore-safety'
Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

Options:
  -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
  -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
  -, -l, --login                make the shell a login shell
  -m, -p,
  --preserve-environment        do not reset environment variables, and
                                keep the same shell
  -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default in passwd
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 17:14:19 PM »

IIs it ia syntax problem?
Try
sudo
instead of
su
Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 17:37:15 PM »

That worked!  I tried my root password first, but said "wrong password", so then I tried my super user password, which worked.  Thanks atolboo. 

But, I get the same error I got last night when I tried to download the 68mb dependencies via PiSi GUI.  When it happened last night, I cleared the cache, but still got the same error.  One reason I am now trying to do this through terminal, which I've never done in Pardus:

Code:
Total size of package(s): 22.29 MB
There are extra packages due to dependencies. Do you want to continue? (yes/no)yes
Downloading 1 / 23
Package kernel found in repository pardus-2008.1
kernel-2.6.25.20-113-49.pisi [cached]
System Error. Program Terminated.
File is not a zip file
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.
Use --debug to see a traceback.

Sorry, I don't know how to use --debug via terminal. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 17:38:49 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: