Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:26:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [solved] First time to download a distro, which kde file do I choose?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] First time to download a distro, which kde file do I choose?  (Read 2178 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2008, 22:40:15 PM »

Hi all,

This will be my first time to download a Linux distro.  I have dial-up (yes, some of us still rely on this ancient tool  Wink  ) .  I usually send the mirror web page to my husband, and he downloads it for me as he has DSL at work.  He is not able to do this anytime soon for the next couple of weeks, and so I thought I would give it a try on my imac machine, using igetter download manager.  This way I can stop the download if I need to and resume it later.  I've downloaded movies off of the usenet before, and that can take upwards of three days, so the slow time in getting it won't bother me a bit.  If I could, I would buy it, but pardus 2008.1 isn't available anywhere that I have looked.  I would like to use the live cd.  I just want to make sure, do I download the hyeana.iso?  and not the mid5sum, correct? 

Regards,
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 00:48:11 AM by Lisa » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 22:52:27 PM »

The LIVE Cd versions can be downloaded from here:

http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/calisan/2008.1/

The INSTALL CD versions ca n be downloaded from:

http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2008.1/

In the LIVE CD directory you will note a KDE 3 version (recommended, the current Pardus as is, fully functional):

http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/calisan/2008.1/Pardus_Calisan_2008.1-KDE3_Hyaena_hyaena.iso

http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/calisan/2008.1/Pardus_Calisan_2008.1-KDE3_Hyaena_hyaena.iso.torrent

(The ISO file is the file to be burned on CD for installation. If you prefer a Torrent download choose the 2nd one).

The other files are just check codes, you do not really need them to get things working but they are for extra security to prevent you downloading a corrupt ISO file from somewhere.

ALSO (exclusively) in the LIVE CD directory is a KDE4 version, but this is really meant as a sneak preview / snapshot to get the feel and look of how Pardus will be in KDE4, it is currently however lacking essential Pardus modules like e.g. package managment and system managment (as far as I understood).

===============
Pardus 2008.1 Live CD - Hyaena hyaena

Pardus_Calisan_2008.1-KDE3_Hyaena_hyaena.iso
Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena hyaena Live CD - All supported languages, KDE3 based

Pardus_Calisan_2008.1-KDE4_Hyaena_hyaena.iso
Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena hyaena Live CD - All supported languages, KDE4 based

==========================

In the INSTALL CD directory only the current stable Pardus OS using KDE 3.5.10 is to be downloaded.

====================Pardus 2008.1 Install CD - Hyaena hyaena

Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso
Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena hyaena Install CD - English and Turkish support only

Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena_[Int].iso
Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena hyaena Install CD - All supported languages

=============================

Good luck and welcome here.

Please take a moment for reading the release notes below...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 23:00:11 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 22:57:04 PM »

Pardus 2008.1 release notes

1. Welcome to Pardus 2008.1
Welcome to Pardus version 2008.1, another great Pardus release from Pardus
developers, translators, artists and documentation writers. This is the first
minor release of Pardus 2008 branch.

We kindly invite you to visit http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng for more
information.
1.1 Feedback
You can use http://bugs.pardus.org.tr, aka Pardus bug tracking system to send
a bug, bug fix or any suggestion related to Pardus. We would like to thank
our users and developers with their bug reports, related fixes, new package
or feature suggestions for this release.

2. Basic features
2.1 A More Powerful Network Manager
Pardus 2008.1 includes a new and improved Network Manager with Ad-Hoc and
802.1x wireless support, connection sharing capability and dozens of
improvements and bugfixes, still maintaining the ease of use and hassle free
operation.
2.2 Two Variants of Live CDs
Pardus 2008.1 comes with two Live CD variants : a KDE3 based one with all
Pardus technologies, and a brand new KDE4 based Live CD. KDE3 based live CD
(calisan) is the successor of the Pardus stable live CD family, while KDE4
based one is intended as a preview about KDE4's status in Pardus. Pardus
2008.1 KDE4 based live CD contains the latest release of KDE4, 4.1.1 and a
bunch of KDE4 ports of popular KDE software : Amarok, K3b, kaffeine, kvirc,
ktorrent, krename..
2.3 Support for New Languages and Two Variants of Install CDs
With 2008.1, Pardus introduces Swedish support and Pardus' number of
supported
languages reaches 11 - thanks to our developer and translator communities.
Starting with this release, Pardus will be offered as two variants to support
this ever-increasing number of languages : one install CD with Turkish and
English support only (and a selection of additional development tools and
games), and an internationalized install CD with support for all 11
languages. As always, users can install and use additional language support
packages from Pardus' repositories, regardless of which install CD they've
used to install their systems.
2.4 Updated applications
In addition to the new features of Pardus technologies, Pardus 2008.1
includes
numerous version upgrades: - Latest stable release of Pardus' desktop
environment : Updated KDE 3.5.10 , - The latest Linux kernel release of
2.6.25 series : 2.6.25.16 with improved hardware support, together with a
stable and reliable system, - Updated Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1, Openoffice.org
2.4.1.7, KDE 4.1.1... - All feature additions, bugfixes and improvements
since the release of Pardus 2008, - Hundreds of free software applications,
with less bugs and updated to the most recent versions...

3. Installation requirements
You can run Pardus 2008.1 on an average hardware. We suggest to use at least
512 MB RAM (memory) and 1200 MHz processor to get an effective performance.
Minimum and recommended hardware requirements for Pardus 2008.1 are mentioned
below:

* 256 MB memory (512 MB recommended)
    * 800 MHz Intel or AMD processor (1200 MHz recommended)
    * At least 4 GB of free hard disk space (10 GB recommended)

--
Ekin Meroglu <ekin_at_pardus.org.tr>

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 00:46:26 AM »

Thank you, Michiel!  I was confused by all of the files that have the check code features as I've never seen them before.  I panicked!  Thanks for clearing things up for me. 
Good news, my husband said to send him the link and he can start the download before he leaves for work, then burn it when he comes in.  So, this will cut out much time consumption.  I will have to wait for him to send it in the post, as his work takes him far away much of the time.

Regards,
Lisa Marie

P.S. Michiel, Oh and thank you for the welcome.  Thanks for posting the release notes!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 00:50:23 AM by Lisa » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 19:55:43 PM »

Lisa Marie, I was just being curious whether you have meanwhile installed Pardus or given the LIVE CD a try and what you think of it.

Since you are actively posting in the forum I guess you want to stay with Pardus for a while? (good choice  Cheesy )

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 20:52:43 PM »

Hi Michiel,

You can call me silly, but I don't have Pardus installed yet.  I like this forum.  Plus, I am stay-at-home hausfrau so I sometimes have plenty of time to spare with help and searching for answers. 

My husband said he couldn't download it for work-related reasons, so, I am doing it myself, the slow way, through dial-up.  I have 12 hours to go.  If this doesn't work, I can always buy Pardus 2007 version as I see it is at some of the distro disc websites for sell.  I am downloading the install cd 2008.1 version.  I tried to use iGetter download manager for os x, but it crashed my computer.  I am now using Speed Download and it is doing its job.  I will be sure to burn the .iso at the very slowest speed as is recommended.

as the ketchup commercial goes..." anticipation "  Grin

Cheers,
Lisa Marie
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 21:11:41 PM »

Poor you 12 hours to go, sounds prehistoric in internet terms.

But BUYING?

If you send a personal message to me with your post adress I will be happy to burn an iso for you and send it to you by post, one stamp should not cost that much and I (and I guess lots of others enthusiasts) have no problems helping someone else a bit further.

Feel free to contact me. (BTW is your native language German?)

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 22:22:29 PM »

(BTW is your native language German?)

If only it was!  No, but I have learned a few words.  I visit a Deutsch tobacco pipe forum now and then and have to use Leo dictionary or babblefish to translate.   It makes us Americans look stupid that we only know one language. Sad but true, as schools don't require one to learn a second language.  Not when I went to school, anyway and I grew up in southern California where there were many Mexican/Americans.  I never learned Spanish!

Thank you, Michiel, for the kind offer.  I will see how download goes first.
Liebe Grüße
Lisa Marie
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 22:25:56 PM »

BTW to get things right I am a native dutch speaker and citizen of the Netherlands, but I have no problems with english, german or (reading) french, like most dutch people.

The sad thing is that I -apart from Pardus  Cheesy - do not know a single word of turkish  Sad Sad Sad

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 23:34:38 PM »

Jap, (Yep) waf, and I laughed.  What if I don't like Pardus? Shocked 
I've read too many good, surprisingly good things about Pardus, that I don't think I will be let down.   If I have any problems, you folks will be the first to hear from me.   Wink 

Michiel, Good to hear you say you are from the Netherlands.  I remember years ago that to be politically correct, one should say "I am a Hollander", or, " I come from Holland ".  I am envious that so many people in Europe can speak many languages.  Schooling is much better in Europe and the British Isles than in USA, in my opinion. 
My dad's mother was born in Michigan and was Dutch.  Her name was Dean Sharphorn, but I'm sure Sharphorn was respelled when her parents came to the US.  She didn't like 'Dean' and changed it to 'Donna'.  I only know a few words in Hungarian thanks to my mother.  My grandmother moved to Ohio area when she was 9 years old (from Budapest).  Her husband was a coal miner. 

Enough for my history.  I intend to introduce myself in the correct thread when I finally install Pardus.  Cheesy
Lisa Marie
atolboo
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »

Her name was Dean Sharphorn, .......
More info at http://www.henkratering.nl/stambomen/rateringk/grateringk.htm
Search for "Scharphorn"

" I come from Holland " should be " I come from the Netherlands" (Holland is part of the Netherlands)
(BTW Posted by: Michiel Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:25:56 PM is also valid for me.)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 18:48:55 PM »

Thanks, atolboo.  Yes, and I find some with this spelling in Michigan still, but no go with sharphorn.  Thanks again!

Download was about 35 hours in total time, and it stalled out at the last 98.70%, so I paused the download, went back to bed, got up in the morning and restarted it.  It downloaded the remaining last bit and burned it with os x disk utility at 8x (slowest speed available for disk utility). 

Lisa Marie

P.S. waf, I enjoy Jazz very much, though I do not know artist names, but am only familiar with songs and know what I like.  There is a type of jazz that is mellow and relaxing - I call it California jazz.  I like this type and also some of the more syncopated tunes, but lean more towards the Cal. jazz style.  Dv. Brubeck is one of my favourite artists.

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 17:07:39 PM »

Not much point to mention now, but:
http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Download
There is always support for you on PardusWiki as well if you want to check something up quickly, but it won't be as indepth and comprehensive as this forum.
When downloading Pardus, md5sum and sha1sum are checksums used to check that the software you've downloaded isn't corrupted. During installation you can check the CD for errors, the binary of the CD is taking through an algorithm which determines a certain code (like a barcode which identifies a product), if the codes match, then the software is valid.

I'd reccomend torrent downloading, you won't be able to tell the difference in terms of download speeds, plus it continuously uploads (I seed current Pardus torrents 24/7), and plus, you'll be able to contribute by seeding the torrent and contributing to others in the Pardus community.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: