Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:40:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  [solved]Pardus on the Aspire One - Madwifi drivers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]Pardus on the Aspire One - Madwifi drivers?  (Read 4022 times)
azra
« on: September 18, 2008, 23:54:22 PM »

I am going to tackle this week end the installation of Pardus on my brand new Aspire one.

The plan is:
1. re-size the partition to keep the original Linpus on it
2. create new partitions (pardus, home, swap and misc)
3. install Pardus

I understand from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne that I will need to build the drivers from the terminal. I guess this is because the drivers in the official repos are not yet compatible with the Aspire One.

Can anyone confirm that the current madwifi drivers in the Pardus repo will not work and that I am right to follow the route described in the Ubuntu forum?

Thanks!

And of course, I will relate my progress (that is if anyone is interested)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:06:37 AM by Michiel » Logged
waterfietser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »

What is the type of the wifi-card?
azra
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

From what I understand, "it is based on a AR5007 chipset, which requires an updated driver."
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 20:00:38 PM »

@Azra:

I have good news for you, pardus supports ar5007 wifi cards out-of-box. How do I know that? Because I also have an acer laptop which has an ar5007 chipset too.  Grin
Pardus supports ar5007 since from 2008 version. Before that I had to use ndiswrapper to make it work.

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
azra
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 20:31:16 PM »

Highenergy
Wow, this is great news! After I read your message, I tried to run the live CD KDE3 and the good news is that wifi is recognised, and so is the sound card!
The only thing to make sure is to hit F4 and F5 and go for safe modes.
I can't believe Pardus is so good... When you read the forums on the Aspire One, it seems like a real hacking job, but with pardus, everything works out of the box. I am in awe with the developpers...
The only thing I will need to figure out when I install it tomorrow will be the resolution. I can only seem to get 800x600, whereby I need 1024x600.
Any idea how I should accomplish that?
(still pretty much a newbie I'm afraid...)
highenergy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 21:13:03 PM »

well I don't have any resolution problem. My card is nvidia gforce 8400M and I use it with 1280x800 resolution. Resolution's never been a problem though. Besides pardus has a new tool called display manager as you know. Which simplifies resolution and refresh rate selection and configuring second screen by GUI interface. You don't have to (you are not allowed to edit xorg.conf manually) mess with xorg.conf file anymore. 

Acer Aspire 5520G-402G16, AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M G 128MB
Wesselaar
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 15:50:26 PM »

A warning :

AR5007 on Ubuntu is crap

You can get it working by compiling a module and load it with ndiswrapper but it wasnt been able to keep working here all the time , had many problems with ubuntu

ar 5007 works great on pardus, no problems here.
azra
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 19:29:07 PM »

Right, so here is the result of the install.

Aspire One - 120HDD - 1G DDR
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Seashell/dp/B001BZ924I/ref=pd_cp_ce_3?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BZ4QV2&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=07AHAZG1K7AWBFZA9AZR
LG USB DVD drive
Install time: 40 mins

Works from the box:
Ethernet
Wifi
Resolutions (1024 x 600)
Webcam
Fn controls: sound up/down, contrast, etc...

Contrary to what I read on the French forum for the EEE, there is no need to plus it to a bigger screen to install properly.

Half works:
Soundcard: there is sound, but not at full volume? No great

Does not work:
Battery management: the taskbar shows the computer plugged in, whereas it is not.

Overall, I cannot believe how easy the install has been and how nearly everything works from the box. I was with a friend who runs Ubuntu and he was impressed on how this was actually easier than his box!

If anyone can help me to solve the litlte issues, that would be fantastic....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 19:31:42 PM by azra » Logged
azra
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »

Update:

USB ports working fine
Cannot shut down properly. Goes into a loop at the end of the shut down process and has to be turned off manually
After the GRUB, a screen proposing different resolutions appear: need to press space to continue without changing anything.
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 17:06:59 PM »

to mix the screen after grub;

edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change all vga=791 to vga=785

works on my eee

azra
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 23:20:52 PM »

Tuxedup
Thanks for that, it works here too!
That's that fixed. If I manage to fix everything I propose to do a wiki page?
I found another thing which does nt work: If I log out, I get a black screen and I have to hard boot the Aspire.
So I have to do a restart instead.
I really would want the power management to work, any idea how to get this fixed?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:06:59 AM by Michiel » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: