Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:27:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Unable to Connect to a WEP Secured Connction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unable to Connect to a WEP Secured Connction  (Read 1535 times)
EmyrB

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2008, 14:48:24 PM »

Hi All,

Just installed Pardus 2008.1 on my old Samsung laptop and it is the first distro to ever, ever detect my wireless card out of the box  Shocked

My problem is that it detects my wireless link, but I cannot connect to it as my WEP key is 26 characters long and the gui for the wireless only allows 10 characters   Sad

Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to put in my WEP key or is this a known issue?

Any help greatly received

Cheers

EmyrB
atolboo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 16:58:16 PM »

Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to put in my WEP key or is this a known issue?

Maybe /etc/network/wireless_tools
My WEB key is stored there.
Have a look.  Smiley
EmyrB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 19:56:01 PM »

Thanks for that atolboo. I don't want to sound too much like a noob, but when I try and open the file it says access denied. So, I tried through the terminal. I issued "su" it asked for the root password, but the password I entered during the install doesn't work.  Sad

Then I remembered the old Ubuntu trick, "sudo" but alas I am not in the sudoers file. I can't add myself to this file as I have no root permissions and I cannot "su"   Huh?

Any ideas?

Cheers

EmyrB
atolboo
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 21:03:40 PM »

Any ideas?
Yes.............      Alt+F2 and enter 'kdesu kwrite /etc/network/wireless_tools'  Wink

EmyrB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 22:45:30 PM »

Gah... This is so fustrating  Angry

I did what you said and issued 'kdesu kwrite /etc/network/wireless_tools' and a password prompt comes up. I enter the password and it says it is incorrect  Angry

Now I know the root password is fine as when I go and run the package manager PiSi, it asks for the root password and I enter it and everything is fine, so what gives?

I can't even copy the file wireless_tools to a usb drive so I can edit it on my Ubuntu box  :'(
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 22:50:29 PM »

I think your old laptop has a small resolution and that it is why you think you can enter only 10 characters for the WEP key. Just resize the window and you will have more room to write your key.

As for your root password problem, either you have forgotten it, or numlock key is not activated on your keyboard, or more probably, you, as user, have not administrative privileges. To check that, run Tasma > System > User Manager. Click on your login, click on the Edtion button and check the box "Grant administrative privileges to this user".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 22:57:32 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
atolboo
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »

I am not 100% sure that I am right, but when a user has administrative privileges, he has to supply the USER password in package manager
When using kdesu kwrite /etc/net..... you are asked for the ROOT password.
And these are/can be different passwords.
EmyrB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »

I now have wireless working fine thanks to PhiX by posting a rather cunning idea, maximize the window  Grin

But I am still having issues with root. I did what PhiX said and my username already has administrative privileges, and I even took the opportunity to retype the root password. But this still doesn't seem to work. When ever I try to enter the password while using su or kdesu I always get the error message "Incorrect password; please try again."  Sad
atolboo
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »

...... I even took the opportunity to retype the root password. ........
I think that is the user password and not the root (administrator) password.
If you don't know the root password anymore (maybe a typing error during installation), only a NEW installation will solve your problems.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »

Maybe your keyboard layout doesn't match exactly your language ?
What is your native language ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
EmyrB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 14:18:12 PM »

OK... both my root and user password are exactly the same (I know, I know not a secure way, but hey  Wink ) so if it is the user password it wants then I should be OK.

As to my native language, well personally that would be Welsh, but I use English UK as my language. I seem to remember that the default language is English US and I cannot install others.

As a side note, I run Pardus in a VM and I have the same issue there, I cannot administer the time and date as the same error crops up. Maybe I will do a VM install with a different root password to the user and see if that makes a difference Smiley
atolboo
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 15:05:30 PM »

As a side note, I run Pardus in a VM and I have the same issue there, I cannot administer the time and date as the same error crops up. Maybe I will do a VM install with a different root password to the user and see if that makes a difference Smiley
Maybe this has to do with VM and/or the host OS (in which VMware is running)?

As to my native language, well personally that would be Welsh, but I use English UK as my language. I seem to remember that the default language is English US and I cannot install others.
Have a look in Pardus -> Tasma -> Regional & Accessibitity -> Country/Region & Language -> Locale -> Add language.  Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: