Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:43:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  install hangs at 96% (Installing: wpa_supplicant)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: install hangs at 96% (Installing: wpa_supplicant)  (Read 1963 times)
applab
« on: September 22, 2008, 15:15:27 PM »

Hi,

i have tried to install Pardus 2008 today but the install hangs when it gets to 'Installing: wpa_supplicant'.

i have no wireless device in this machine so is there any boot option with which i can tell it not to install wireless stuff ?

thnx,
martin.
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 15:18:48 PM »

There's no boot option that would influence the installation of a specific package like that... I'm guessing it's a problem with your installation media, did it successfully pass the media check at the start of the installer?

Just to check, is it 2008 or 2008.1 (the latest) ?
applab
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 15:26:21 PM »

Hi,

thanks for prompt response!

i think it was 2008 but i'm not 100% sure so  i'm currently downloading 2008.1 and i *will* media-check it before i try the install again.

i'll post back in a couple of hours and let you know how i get on.

cheers,
martin.
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 15:46:30 PM »

If you do run into further problems with the media... there's basically three main reasons your media would be stuffed.

* the download: wget is pretty much the most reliable method of downloading error-free known to man, torrents are another good way to go.. since most of them allow you to check the completed download for missing chunks.

* the burn: the conventional wisdom is to burn at a low speed, some burning programs calculate the md5 sum and check against the completed cd.

* the media: not all dvd/cds/etc are created equal.

EDIT: forgot the md5/sha bit

After you've leeched the iso, you can download the md5sum or sha1sum files from the server.

eg. http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2008.1/Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso.sha1sum

You then compare it to the downloaded iso like so:

lashni@orphan pardus $ md5sum -c Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso.md5sum
Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso: OK

lashni@orphan pardus $ sha1sum -c Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso.sha1sum
Pardus_2008.1_Hyaena_hyaena.iso: OK

If the response is anything other than OK, the download is corrupt or incomplete.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 16:06:46 PM by lashni » Logged
applab
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 23:14:32 PM »

hi,

i've downloaded a fresh iso and done all the necessary checks (MD5, verify after burning & media check) and they all check out ok.

this time it made it to 100% but then hung shortly after.  the last message on the screen was 'Setting hostname'.

the mouse is still responding and i can ctrl-alt-f1 to get a terminal and see that yali4-bin is still running but it's just stuck  :'(

btw, the live cd boots & runs fine.

any suggestions ?

thanks,
martin.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 00:43:11 AM »

hi,

i've downloaded a fresh iso and done all the necessary checks (MD5, verify after burning & media check) and they all check out ok.

this time it made it to 100% but then hung shortly after.  the last message on the screen was 'Setting hostname'.

the mouse is still responding and i can ctrl-alt-f1 to get a terminal and see that yali4-bin is still running but it's just stuck  :'(

btw, the live cd boots & runs fine.

any suggestions ?

thanks,
martin.

I don't understand. Have you completed the install of Pardus 2008.1 ?
If so, what happens when you reboot your PC ? Does KDE desktop appears ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
applab
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:03:15 AM »

hi,

on my previous attempt the install hung before grub was installed so the machine wouldn't even boot.

i'm pleased to report though that i started again from scratch and this time it worked flawlessly (so it was probably my hardware or cd that was glitchy).

i'm having my first look around now and first impressions are excellent!

cheers,
Martin.
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:55:41 AM »

Glad it worked in the end... if you rule out the media it may be an interesting problem though, have you ever had similar issues on that hardware with other linux distros?
applab
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:17:04 AM »

hi lashni,

the machine is a recent 'hand-me-down' so i don't know if it has a history of quirky hardware. 

i've previously had 1 distro installed (Mandriva 2008 Spring) which worked fine, and booted several live cds incl. Mint, Mepis, OpenSuse & Pardus all of which had no issues.  but then i haven't necessarily stressed them enough to bring any intermittent issues to light so it could well be the hardware.

regards,
martin.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: