Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 21:42:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  I finally made it to the good ship Pardus, from Arkansas, US
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I finally made it to the good ship Pardus, from Arkansas, US  (Read 2256 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 19:16:32 PM »

Hi all,

I guess I wear out my welcome as I've been chatting with many of you here on other threads, but just to say that I am very pleased with my morning's install of Pardus 2008.1 for kde install disk.  The only thing that made me freak out was the language at boot was in Turkish, but I quickly saw the F2 button to change to English. All went very smoothly after that, in fact, I've never enjoyed an install more.  I very much like the orange colour layout, and I used the help menu for some of the things I wasn't sure about, which came in handy.  If it wasn't for the Hummingbirds wanting their feeder refilled, I would have stayed put in my seat during the entire install process, as I liked the icons that showed during the install with the different programs, and the brief description of the programs.  It helped me to know where to navigate once the install was finished and I rebooted system.  It all went fine. 

The help wizard at initial log in was helpful, but I still see that Network Manager needs to work on their settings for those of us with dial-up modems.  It still will not connect after I filled in the correct fields.  There was no "connect" button.  This is a Network Manager problem though, as you will see bug reports about this for us few that use dial up.  It didn't matter as I used KPPP, which I am very familair with.  I'm using FF now and all is well. 

Very nice board layout.  I like the default blue colour and the icon shapes.  The clock is easy to read, as are the kicker icons.  With windows, the default setting for my 1280X1024 display is tiny. 

Nice fonts, sound was recognized with my new audio card.  I will give it more of a work out as I go along.

Just to say Thank you to the fine folks who created and who maintain this operating system and the help wikis and fourms! 

Warm regards,
Lisa Marie

edited to add: I also appreciated the ability to check the disk integrity upon pre-install.  Great install feature!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 17:33:52 PM by Lisa » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 20:06:18 PM »

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad to hear that all went well for you with your Pardus installation.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 20:27:54 PM »

Welcome on board  Wink

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum Lisa, never seen someone so active on a distro forum before the first install before. :)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 17:30:31 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome! 

lashni, I suppose it is strange, but one thing I always do when I am interested in a distro is to check over the forum threads, so I can get familiar with some of the programs and problems others encounter.  But, you are right, this is the first time I joined a forum before trying the OS. 

Looks like I have some typo's to correct in my post. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »

You're obviously a more social creature than me. :) I've been using Pardus on and off for the last couple years, mostly swapping between LFS/Pardus/Mint/PCLinuxOS. A couple months ago I ran out of time/interest for the LFS builds and ended up swapping to Pardus as my sole distro, so decided to stop lurking and just registered on the forum recently.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 17:54:14 PM »

You are already a very familiair person on this forum. And it is good to welcom you to the small Pardusville community! I am also  glad that your installation went to well, since some1 people run into problems, and at that moment everybody is very willing in helping out

For freedom...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 19:12:11 PM »

lashni, it is good that you no longer lurk, as you give good help to those with Pardus. 

Willem, Thank you for the warm welcome, too.  I did run into a slight problem, but I wanted to work it out myself and see what I did wrong.  I will see if I can write a tips and tricks how-to for those installing with windows on one disk.  I accidently messed up mbr and grub, and if it wasn't for the wiki on how to restore grub, I would have not understood what I did wrong.  But, I went ahead and did a clean re-install of both operating systems to see if I could get it right a second time.  I eventually did.  Smiley 

Sometimes you just have to take a break, go outside for a bit, do some chores,  wash your face with cold water, have a kaffee, stop thinking about it and give it another try.  Don't panic.   Wink  When I panic, I can't think straight. 

Warm regards,
Lisa Marie
rosinskitg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 19:41:48 PM »

Hi all,

I guess I wear out my welcome as I've been chatting with many of you here on other threads, but just to say that I am very pleased with my morning's install of Pardus 2008.1 for kde install disk.  The only thing that made me freak out was the language at boot was in Turkish, but I quickly saw the F2 button to change to English. All went very smoothly after that, in fact, I've never enjoyed an install more.  I very much like the orange colour layout, and I used the help menu for some of the things I wasn't sure about, which came in handy.  If it wasn't for the Hummingbirds wanting their feeder refilled, I would have stayed put in my seat during the entire install process, as I liked the icons that showed during the install with the different programs, and the brief description of the programs.  It helped me to know where to navigate once the install was finished and I rebooted system.  It all went fine. 

The help wizard at initial log in was helpful, but I still see that Network Manager needs to work on their settings for those of us with dial-up modems.  It still will not connect after I filled in the correct fields.  There was no "connect" button.  This is a Network Manager problem though, as you will see bug reports about this for us few that use dial up.  It didn't matter as I used KPPP, which I am very familair with.  I'm using FF now and all is well. 

Very nice board layout.  I like the default blue colour and the icon shapes.  The clock is easy to read, as are the kicker icons.  With windows, the default setting for my 1280X1024 display is tiny. 

Nice fonts, sound was recognized with my new audio card.  I will give it more of a work out as I go along.

Just to say Thank you to the fine folks who created and who maintain this operating system and the help wikis and fourms! 

Warm regards,
Lisa Marie

edited to add: I also appreciated the ability to check the disk integrity upon pre-install.  Great install feature!

Hi Lisa, A pleasure to have you as a member of the Pardus community. Thanks for your help in my problems in the forums. I am new to Pardus. I am glad to be a member of the Pardus community and have people like yourself to be so helpful.

Terry
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 02:59:04 AM »

Hi Terry, and you are welcome!  I am a newbie, so, keep this in mind!

Thanks for the warm welcome and glad to have you here!

Lisa Marie
tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 17:02:21 PM »

Welcome,

I need to get active more on the forum.  I also need to finish moving my packages over to 2008 haha.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 22:44:31 PM »

Hello tuxedup,

Thank you for the welcome!  You have  a good excuse as you are busy being a developer. 

Maybe I should welcome you.  Wink

Regards,
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: