Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:15:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  [Tip]My experience - Dual boot Pardus and Windows XP on one hard drive
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Tip]My experience - Dual boot Pardus and Windows XP on one hard drive  (Read 2438 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 19:14:20 PM »

(Note:  this is not a proper tip, but was written to share my experience with how I went about installing Pardus 2008.1.  I tend to find the hardest way to do things.   Smiley  So, the best tip I can give you if you want to know how to dual boot with Pardus and XP, is to go to the wiki how-to link that atolboo posted below, which is straight forward and easy to understand. )

"This is my fumbling attempt at a How To.   Cheesy 

I recently installed Pardus and I seemed to do everything wrong by messing up grub, fiddling with gparted and Ranish Partition Manager, corrupting ntldr, and misplacing MBR.  Many of you will laugh or think, “give a newbie a couple of partition managers, bad idea!”, but just in case this helps anyone.

I had XP Pro installed on a 150 GB hard drive partitioned as NTFS on half of the disk, and wanted to erase the current Linux distro that was on the remaining half and install Pardus 2008.1. 
I used a live-boot disk utility called Ultimate Boot CD and in it used Ranish Partition Manager to delete the Linux partitions (which included a swap space) and then proceeded to E (erase) which wrote zeros over the data of that partition.  Don't ask me why, but I always do this before installing or re-installing any operating system. 
 I then clicked S (save MBR ) and F2 (save file to disk), otherwise I would have messed up the master boot record.  Booted out of UBCD and restarted system and inserted Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena install disk and booted with CD drive first.  Clicked enter which started the boot up process.  Be ready to click F2 soon to arrow up to English language, or you will boot up with Turkish language.  I did this the first time, but no big deal. I restarted the disk and was ready for it the second time.  After going through the preliminary generic questions about default keyboard layout and time zone, I came to the Add User section.  I added the first user with administrative rights, and created a second user with no administrative rights.  Next screen was password to use for root.  Now comes the part where I messed up. 

Select the Partitioning Method:
-Automatic. Try to use free space or resize current partitions
-Delete all partitions
-No.  I'll partition my disk manually

I selected “Try to use free space...”.  With the other distros I have used, like ubuntu, for example, it would use the remaining free space, which would have been the remaining half of the disk's unused, unpartitioned space.  But Pardus chose to use the NTFS Windows partition, which was roughly 75 GB.  When I clicked next it showed a summary of how it would be installed, showing it would shrink the Windows partition down to about 43 GB and use the remaining space on that partition for Pardus.  I thought, huh? 

(I think the install would go easier for newbie's to Pardus or first time Linux users if this first selection was more accurate or clearly put.  If it says it will try to use free space, it should.  I am assuming here that free space is unused, unpartitioned space.  I think some term it unallocated space.  Pardus did the latter of Automatic and resized the current partition.)

I decided to select this just to see what it would do.  I came to the next field, the boot loader choice.  I wasn't sure, maybe it was because I wasn't used to the wording, or just wasn't thinking straight, or recently read up on where to install grub and became confused, but instead of selecting
“Install to first bootable disk (recommended)”, I chose the second selection,
worded something like, “install where Pardus is installed at”, and let the install process begin.
And what an install process:  beautiful icons to look at of programs that you will have at your fingertips, with a brief description of each program.  Nicely done, and wow, what a fast install of 11 minutes.  It says it will take about 30 minutes, depending on your system. 

I rebooted after compeletion and, boo-hoo, no Windows showed at grub boot menu, or maybe it was there at grub, but when I clicked on it, it brought me to a black error console, at this point my memory is a bit foggy as I had  tried another install and more fiddling and messed it up even more.  In the first install, while in Pardus I could see that Windows was there and shrunk down to 43 GB or so.  Just like it showed in the summary.   

Hey, no problem, as I read up on what I did wrong and was ready to try it again.  Others probably know enough about installation that they laugh at my mistakes, but remember, I'm a newbie.  I tried again, made more mistakes with using Ranish and was able to fix the system using the Wiki How to Restore Grub for Pardus.  I had my system back, but I was ready to try again, for I didn't want to leave my Windows partition resized.  I used Ranish Partiton manager to wipe the whole 150 GB disk.  You won't need to do this, but I was ready to make a clean install, instead of trying to resize existing partitions and fixing grub and the master boot loader.   I'd only installed XP recently, so it wasn't a problem for me.

With pnp disabled in BIOS, I inserted my nLite XP unattended installation disk, but this time resized the NTFS partition to 53 GB as I planned to have another smaller NTFS partition and install Pardus on the remaining unused space. So, let XP do its thing on the 53 GB partition, which allowed me to start a load of laundry, go pick green beans from the garden, give the chickens some food, and sit on the back porch. 

With that finally finished, I removed the XP install disk, rebooted, and inserted the Gnome Parted live disk partition utility.  It showed in a graph bar that XP was installed on 53 GB as NTFS.  Then I clicked on the unused space of the graph bar, which highlited it, and clicked “new” and “resize” and slid the bar to the left to create a partition of about 30 GB as NTFS file system.  I wanted to create this middle partition to use for placing movie files as I do a lot of video editing.  Clicked “apply” and then rebooted system.  Then upon restart of computer, inserted the Pardus install disk.  I was much more relaxed as I knew what I was doing this time. 
1. Select Partitioning Method:
and this time I selected
“No.  I'll partition my disk manually”
(I'll add here that I've never been able to figure out other distro's manual partioning choices.  Ubuntu's  selection confused me, [where do I put /root or /home?] , and  Fedora confused me even more.  I was expecting the same, but actually Pardus makes manual partitioning easy, as it tells you what you need, lets you use a slider bar to size it-no figuring out megabytes.  Nice job, Pardus team!)

2. Select the disk to apply selected method:
ATA WDC sda (149 GB)
Manual Partitioning shows a graph bar for my setup as
Disk 1 (sda)-149GB (59.0GB Free) with a W icon so I easily knew where XP was installed. 
I clicked on the right part of the bar, “Free Space 59.0BG” which highlited the it.  Went down to bottom left of screen and under
to use: 
“as Pardus System Files (mandatory)” well, we'll need that, won't we.
Since I wanted a swap space, I dragged the slider from the right hand side to the left until I felt it had left me about 8 GB of space.  (I read that a rule of thumb for Linux swap space is twice the size of your RAM. ) You can do the math for converting mb to gb if you don't know off hand.  I just guessed at how far to slide the bar.  “Format” box is automatically ticked.  Clicked “apply” and it changed the graph bar section I had highlighted and changed it to a blue colour.  And in this section it showed “Partition 5 Pardus will install here 52.0GB”  You can hover your cursor over it and it will show more information.  If you want to change and start again, click, “Reset all changes”.

This left me with a free space of 8.74 GB which showed in the graph.  I clicked on this part, which highlighted it, go to bottom left of page
use space:
“as swap space (optional) “
and I left slider bar alone to use remaining space for swap.  “Format” is automatically ticked.  Clicked “apply”.  Showed highlighted section of swap partition.  You can hover cursor over any section of graph and it will show specifications, such as path, size and file system.  Clicked “next”.
Bootloader Choice:
This time I selected the first choice, the recommended choice:
“Install to first bootable disk (recommended)”.  Clicked “next” and it shows a summary of where all will be installed, such as root and grub, etc. giving you all the information you need before you commit.  “Begin Install”.  Ah, such a pleasant install experience!  The big tick mark saying Pardus was installed successfully.   Click “reboot” and the disk ejects (even Fedora 9's live disk doesn't do this properly), the system restarts and I am greeted with a nice grub menu of Pardus or XP, which I am able to boot into both without any problems. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie" 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 21:44:20 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 22:29:16 PM »

Did you see this: http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2008 ? Wink
rosinskitg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 00:29:18 AM »

This is my fumbling attempt at a How To.   Cheesy

I recently installed Pardus and I seemed to do everything wrong by messing up grub, fiddling with gparted and Ranish Partition Manager, corrupting ntldr, and misplacing MBR.  Many of you will laugh or think, “give a newbie a couple of partition managers, bad idea!”, but just in case this helps anyone.

I had XP Pro installed on a 150 GB hard drive partitioned as NTFS on half of the disk, and wanted to erase the current Linux distro that was on the remaining half and install Pardus 2008.1. 
I used a live-boot disk utility called Ultimate Boot CD and in it used Ranish Partition Manager to delete the Linux partitions (which included a swap space) and then proceeded to E (erase) which wrote zeros over the data of that partition.  Don't ask me why, but I always do this before installing or re-installing any operating system. 
 I then clicked S (save MBR ) and F2 (save file to disk), otherwise I would have messed up the master boot record.  Booted out of UBCD and restarted system and inserted Pardus 2008.1 Hyaena install disk and booted with CD drive first.  Clicked enter which started the boot up process.  Be ready to click F2 soon to arrow up to English language, or you will boot up with Turkish language.  I did this the first time, but no big deal. I restarted the disk and was ready for it the second time.  After going through the preliminary generic questions about default keyboard layout and time zone, I came to the Add User section.  I added the first user with administrative rights, and created a second user with no administrative rights.  Next screen was password to use for root.  Now comes the part where I messed up. 

Select the Partitioning Method:
-Automatic. Try to use free space or resize current partitions
-Delete all partitions
-No.  I'll partition my disk manually

I selected “Try to use free space...”.  With the other distros I have used, like ubuntu, for example, it would use the remaining free space, which would have been the remaining half of the disk's unused, unpartitioned space.  But Pardus chose to use the NTFS Windows partition, which was roughly 75 GB.  When I clicked next it showed a summary of how it would be installed, showing it would shrink the Windows partition down to about 43 GB and use the remaining space on that partition for Pardus.  I thought, huh? 

(I think the install would go easier for newbie's to Pardus or first time Linux users if this first selection was more accurate or clearly put.  If it says it will try to use free space, it should.  I am assuming here that free space is unused, unpartitioned space.  I think some term it unallocated space.  Pardus did the latter of Automatic and resized the current partition.)

I decided to select this just to see what it would do.  I came to the next field, the boot loader choice.  I wasn't sure, maybe it was because I wasn't used to the wording, or just wasn't thinking straight, or recently read up on where to install grub and became confused, but instead of selecting
“Install to first bootable disk (recommended)”, I chose the second selection,
worded something like, “install where Pardus is installed at”, and let the install process begin.
And what an install process:  beautiful icons to look at of programs that you will have at your fingertips, with a brief description of each program.  Nicely done, and wow, what a fast install of 11 minutes.  It says it will take about 30 minutes, depending on your system. 

I rebooted after compeletion and, boo-hoo, no Windows showed at grub boot menu, or maybe it was there at grub, but when I clicked on it, it brought me to a black error console, at this point my memory is a bit foggy as I had  tried another install and more fiddling and messed it up even more.  In the first install, while in Pardus I could see that Windows was there and shrunk down to 43 GB or so.  Just like it showed in the summary.   

Hey, no problem, as I read up on what I did wrong and was ready to try it again.  Others probably know enough about installation that they laugh at my mistakes, but remember, I'm a newbie.  I tried again, made more mistakes with using Ranish and was able to fix the system using the Wiki How to Restore Grub for Pardus.  I had my system back, but I was ready to try again, for I didn't want to leave my Windows partition resized.  I used Ranish Partiton manager to wipe the whole 150 GB disk.  You won't need to do this, but I was ready to make a clean install, instead of trying to resize existing partitions and fixing grub and the master boot loader.   I'd only installed XP recently, so it wasn't a problem for me.

With pnp disabled in BIOS, I inserted my nLite XP unattended installation disk, but this time resized the NTFS partition to 53 GB as I planned to have another smaller NTFS partition and install Pardus on the remaining unused space. So, let XP do its thing on the 53 GB partition, which allowed me to start a load of laundry, go pick green beans from the garden, give the chickens some food, and sit on the back porch. 

With that finally finished, I removed the XP install disk, rebooted, and inserted the Gnome Parted live disk partition utility.  It showed in a graph bar that XP was installed on 53 GB as NTFS.  Then I clicked on the unused space of the graph bar, which highlited it, and clicked “new” and “resize” and slid the bar to the left to create a partition of about 30 GB as NTFS file system.  I wanted to create this middle partition to use for placing movie files as I do a lot of video editing.  Clicked “apply” and then rebooted system.  Then upon restart of computer, inserted the Pardus install disk.  I was much more relaxed as I knew what I was doing this time. 
1. Select Partitioning Method:
and this time I selected
“No.  I'll partition my disk manually”
(I'll add here that I've never been able to figure out other distro's manual partioning choices.  Ubuntu's  selection confused me, [where do I put /root or /home?] , and  Fedora confused me even more.  I was expecting the same, but actually Pardus makes manual partitioning easy, as it tells you what you need, lets you use a slider bar to size it-no figuring out megabytes.  Nice job, Pardus team!)

2. Select the disk to apply selected method:
ATA WDC sda (149 GB)
Manual Partitioning shows a graph bar for my setup as
Disk 1 (sda)-149GB (59.0GB Free) with a W icon so I easily knew where XP was installed. 
I clicked on the right part of the bar, “Free Space 59.0BG” which highlited the it.  Went down to bottom left of screen and under
to use: 
“as Pardus System Files (mandatory)” well, we'll need that, won't we.
Since I wanted a swap space, I dragged the slider from the right hand side to the left until I felt it had left me about 8 GB of space.  (I read that a rule of thumb for Linux swap space is twice the size of your RAM. ) You can do the math for converting mb to gb if you don't know off hand.  I just guessed at how far to slide the bar.  “Format” box is automatically ticked.  Clicked “apply” and it changed the graph bar section I had highlighted and changed it to a blue colour.  And in this section it showed “Partition 5 Pardus will install here 52.0GB”  You can hover your cursor over it and it will show more information.  If you want to change and start again, click, “Reset all changes”.

This left me with a free space of 8.74 GB which showed in the graph.  I clicked on this part, which highlighted it, go to bottom left of page
use space:
“as swap space (optional) “
and I left slider bar alone to use remaining space for swap.  “Format” is automatically ticked.  Clicked “apply”.  Showed highlighted section of swap partition.  You can hover cursor over any section of graph and it will show specifications, such as path, size and file system.  Clicked “next”.
Bootloader Choice:
This time I selected the first choice, the recommended choice:
“Install to first bootable disk (recommended)”.  Clicked “next” and it shows a summary of where all will be installed, such as root and grub, etc. giving you all the information you need before you commit.  “Begin Install”.  Ah, such a pleasant install experience!  The big tick mark saying Pardus was installed successfully.   Click “reboot” and the disk ejects (even Fedora 9's live disk doesn't do this properly), the system restarts and I am greeted with a nice grub menu of Pardus or XP, which I am able to boot into both without any problems. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie

Hi Lisa Marie,
My approach is this: Start from scratch and boot PC with a windows 98 (boot disk). Use windows 98 boot disk util called  "fdisk" and delete any existing partitions. Create a primary partition but when it asks to use all of the partition answer "no" and make 1st partition around 20GB for use for Windows XP.  Next, you will still have remaining partition space to use. You then will select menu option to create extended partition and use the remaining hard drive space. Last, you will then be asked to create logical drive(s) for the remaing space. You can then make 1 or more logical partiitions. I choose all of the remaining space.

Reboot PC with Windows XP software and load Windows XP. When the Windows XP setup see's all partitions existing on your PC you can select the 20GB partition and install Windows XP.

When Windows XP is all loaded up you then can reboot PC and start loading your favorite Distro..Partus if you will. You can use  Linux's partitioning util to make more divided partitions from there if needed ie..swap, home..ect. I almost always take the manual option of paritioning and select unused partition(s) from there. That way I dont mess things up by allowing the Linux auto install program to make automatic choices for me. It is so very easy to do. Most, if of not all of us NEWBIE's do that Grin

When Partus is done and loaded, reboot PC,  you now have a dual OS on your PC because Linux by now has made a GRUB menu for you with both OS's listed in the menu during the boot-up.

As we say to one Linux lover to the next "HAVE FUN!"  Grin

Terry
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:53:56 AM by rosinskitg » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:05:58 AM »

Hi,

I didn't find that wiki how-to.  Thanks!  The one I found was here in the upper right hand corner, but it's for Pardus 2007.  http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/download.html

The snag that I hit was a misunderstanding of the wording.  I'm coming from a ubuntu/kubuntu world where automatic install, choose 'free space' means unpartitioned space or unallocated space.  What Pardus did was choose the Windows NTFS partition's remaining free space, and shrunk the NTFS partition from 76 GB to about 43 GB and put Pardus at the remianing end of the NTFS partition, instead of as I assumed it would do, to install it in the unpartitioned free-space of the disk (remaining 76 GB) and format and create a Linux partition for Pardus system files there.  I hope that makes sense.    Of course, it showed this in the summary before I committed to it, but I like to experiment and went ahead with the install to see what it would do.  I could have chose to quit, come here and asked, and gotten help with it, but I just wanted to learn myself, sometimes the hard way, but at least I learn this way.  I just thought it odd that it chose the NTFS Windows partition to install, instead of all that empty space for the automatic choice.   I'm also coming from a world where manual install is something you quickly back out of because it is too confusing for a newbie to Linux.  With Pardus, as I said, the manual install is easy!

I see in the wiki how-to for 2008 version that it is further explained.  "At the first option the already existing partition will be resized, and in the free space a single new partition will be created, on which Pardus will be installed".   Yep, that would have made it more clear to me.  Again,thanks for the newer manual. 

Terry, I'm glad you shared that, because I've wondered if I could install more than one Linux distro on one disk.  I guess I like lots of elbow room and will be installing another hard drive soon. 

I would think the 98 boot disk wouldn't have NTFS file system as a choice, but I have heard of fdisk and was headed in that direction at one point with search engines. 

Thanks for your help!

Warm wishes to the both of you,
Lisa Marie

atolboo
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 17:22:41 PM »

I would think the 98 boot disk wouldn't have NTFS file system as a choice, but I have heard of fdisk and was headed in that direction at one point with search engines. 

Also have a look here: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2166.0 Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:53:21 AM
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: