Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:00:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Question on what to do when I upgrade RAM and install new video card (solved)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on what to do when I upgrade RAM and install new video card (solved)  (Read 2333 times)
rhomp2002

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 23:59:12 PM »

I am upgrading my RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB (I am running a couple of 64-bit distros).  At the same time I am changing from the IGP on my MoBo to an ASUS EN9600GT TOP video card.

What do I need to do to accomplish these two things in Pardus? and what if anything do I need to do with the BIOS?  Will my card just be recognized or do I need to install special drivers.  WIll the increased RAM just be recognized or do I need to do anything about that.  I have the RAM now.  It just arrived today.  THe video card should be here within a week or so.  I do have time to get ready.

Thanks for any assistance. Huh? Huh?

Addendum to original entry.  It all worked out just great.  Recognized my RAM and when I ran the Tasma it upgraded my video card the way it should.  Easy to do and now I am a very happy camper.  Thanks to all who replied.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 20:16:19 PM by rhomp2002 » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 00:20:07 AM »

Hi rhomp2002,

Your RAM will be recognized and used without any BIOS modification, provided it is accepted by your motherboard and provided they have identical features (DDR type, frequency).

As for your graphic card, you may have to disable your integrated graphic chipset in the BIOS settings, but it is not mandatory. The ASUS EN9600GT has an NVidia chipset, so Pardus will auto-configure Xorg to use the opensource nvidia driver (nv), allowing you to run the desktop environment (KDE).

To enjoy 3D performance, you will have to run Tasma > System > Display Manager and configure your new card from it.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
miltonjohn2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:12:29 AM »

do not forget to change Xorg.conf like wiki says:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Hardware:Installing_nVidia_Drivers
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »

do not forget to change Xorg.conf like wiki says:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Hardware:Installing_nVidia_Drivers

DisplayManager is supposed to take care of all that alone, so you don't have to.
If DisplayManager fails, you can try to configure it by hand as miltonjohn2 points out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:14:01 AM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
atolboo
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:39:14 AM »

The link should be: http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Hardware:Contents  Smiley
In order to make choice between Pardus2007 and Pardus2008.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:52:59 AM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 18:45:55 PM »

Yes, I just added more ram to my computer with no problems in Pardus.  I had two sticks installed with one extra stick in storage, and recently ordered a fourth stick so I could use the third stick. Anyway, it installed fine.  I like Corsair brand.   Funny thing is my dual boot windows xp only sees 3 G.   Tongue

and, like PhiX said, use the system>display manager.  It retrieved the correct drivers for my card to implement 3-D support.

Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 23:15:22 PM »

ah, poor waf!  Shocked 

Just last year I upgraded our second home computer from 256 MB ram system.  I have to say, this is decadent to run 4 GB's of RAM.  You'd think I was running a CAD system!  I mainly see the speed in video editing, otherwise it is over-indulgance.

Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 22:16:56 PM »

I am upgrading my RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB (I am running a couple of 64-bit distros).   WIll the increased RAM just be recognized or do I need to do anything about that. 

I spoke too soon without checking System and my recent install of 4GB of RAM.  System>Memory shows 2.6GB of 3.0GB   This could be because neither XP or Pardus is 64-bit based distros.  But, your 64-bit based Linux distros should see the full G's, at least that is what I understand. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 01:27:17 AM »

and, I forgot to add, in BIOS I had to go to CPU Configuration>DRAM Configuration>S/W DRAM over 4 G Remapping and H/W DRAM over 4G Remapping>enabled.  The mother board I have is used, and aparantly the previous owner had the max amount of RAM installed, as these two choiced were already enabled. 

Cheers,
Lisa Marie
Bahri16
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 20:19:22 PM »

I'm running Pardus 2008.1 on a 256 MB RAM!!!

Buuaaaaaa!!!!! Buuuaaaaaaaaaaa!!!  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

dammned i am wastrel. i have  to downgrade cause i use 384 Mb RAM!!!

The world is not digital - the world is an analog swoosh
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 03:11:05 AM »

Lol, I use 4 GiB of RAM... I feel so spoilt Cheesy

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 04:10:20 AM »

I only have 512MB I want to upgrade it soon.

I intend to recompile openoffice.org 3.0 when it goes stable and add gtk support and remove kde support so that it fits in with my system using gtk.

I will need more ram as the source for openoffice 3.0 is over 400mb, so its going to take a long time to build haha.  More ram should speed things up a lot.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: