Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 16:45:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Spore 1.0
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spore 1.0  (Read 1807 times)
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2008, 04:29:35 AM »

I've built a wine 1.1.4 pisi with the spore patch applied, you can download it here: http://s3.lashni.net/wine-1.1.4-61.pisi

If you need the matching devel package for any reason (you won't for Spore), you can download it here: http://s3.lashni.net/wine-devel-1.1.4-61.pisi

Wine 1.1.5 is out atm but it's actually a lot harder to get Spore working in it than 1.1.4. This hint will probably be useless to people with ATI video cards, I've only tested it with an Nvidia card and I understand Spore is fairly broken under Wine with ATI.

* Remove existing wine/wine-devel packages
* Install the modified package
* Run Spore installer with wine
* Don't install download manager or directx
* When install is complete, change dir to ~/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/SPORE/Sporebin
* Backup SporeApp.exe and install a no-cd crack
* Run Spore and configure your settings as below.

Settings:

On my rig (q6600, 2gig ram, nvidia 8500GT) Spore is fairly unplayable above 1024x768 resolution (especially for Space stage). Performance-wise you'll also want to set Lighting to the lowest possible setting and may need to disable Shadows if models are rendered black during creation stuff.

I've played this game for a few days with this package and the above settings, it was very playable with no graphical corruption and performance was good. It does tend to crash occassionally (every 5 hours or so) so I'd recommend saving your game regularly, this doesn't seem to be a Wine problem as similar crashes are reported for Windows users. I haven't yet tested this with the 1.01 patch recently released, I'll download that tonight and update the thread.

It's all fairly experimental so your mileage may vary, if you encounter problems I'd have a look at the Wine AppDB entry: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8185

If you don't have enough space on your Pardus partition to install Spore, take the following steps:

* cd ~/.wine
* mv -v drive_c /mnt/partitionwithspace/somedir
* ln -s /mnt/partitionwithspace/somedir/drive_c

EDIT: I forgot to add, it can take a couple minutes for Spore to start up and it doesn't seem to return your desktop to the proper resolution after exiting.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:35:02 AM by lashni » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: