Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 14:42:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  serious problem: cd/dvd drive slowdown
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: serious problem: cd/dvd drive slowdown  (Read 2112 times)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2008, 15:26:22 PM »

Hi,
I just discovered Pardus and I must say I really like it and want to use it. However, there is one issue that renders Pardus unusable for me: DVD/CD access is kind of messed up! When I read data from a dvd, the system slows down, even the mouse pointer stutters and programs take very long to load => system not usable while accessing DVDs/CDs. Burning is even worse and burning speed only works at x1.

I think it is a problem with the new kernel, as I had the same problem with Sidux Erebos (and couldn't solve it, but using an older kernel worked).

This problem occours with all my computers, two laptops and and one desktop, so it's not specifically hardware-related, as these computers are different. Does anyone know this problem? What can be done? This cannot be a feature, it must be a bug!

I would be most grateful if anyone could help me with that, thanks in advance!

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 16:39:10 PM »

Hi frisil,

This is the first time I read about this problem. If it's a kernel bug, it must be hardware related ! Maybe all your computers share the same DVD manufacturer ?
Anyway, unless someone has a better idea, you can file a bug report about it on http://bugs.pardus.org.tr

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 17:27:09 PM »

(@Andreas:
Do you suggest something went wrong with the iso I installed from? I checked the md5 and even the cd after it was burnt, there were no errors. Installation went well, no errors, too. And I also had the same problem with other new distros.) =>as you deleted your post, I think this is obsolete now?

@PhiX:
I am surprised no-one else knows about this, as it happened with all computers I tried. Drives are different, one is Sony (Laptop), one is LG and one Panasonic, so it's not the same manufacturer. But there is something that all computers have in common: The older kernels called the harddrives hda, hdb, etc... and the cd-drives worked. Newer kernels now call my harddrives sda, sdb... and these are the kernels that cause this problem. I use IDE harddrives, not sata, by the way. Can this be the problem?

But there has to be a way to fix it! Many computers still use IDE drives, it cannot be true that newer Linux kernels no longer are compatible, can it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 17:29:44 PM by frisil » Logged

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 18:17:04 PM »

I suggest you write a bugreport like the one that follows, after registering on the Pardus bugtracker website.

New bug >
Paketler / Packages >
Version : pardus 2008 >
Component : kernel >
Summary: IDE CD/DVD drive slowdown with new kernel >
Description:
When I read data from a dvd, the system slows down, even the mouse pointer stutters and programs take very long to load => system not usable while accessing DVDs/CDs. Burning is even worse and burning speed only works at x1.

I think it is a problem with the new kernel, as I had the same problem with Sidux Erebos (and couldn't solve it, but using an older kernel worked).

This problem occurs with all my computers IDE CD/DVD drives (two laptops and one desktop) although they have different manufacturers (Sony, LG, Panasonic).
But there is something that all computers have in common: The older kernels called the harddrives hda, hdb, etc... and the cd-drives worked. Newer kernels now call my harddrives sda, sdb... and these are the kernels that cause this problem.
Does anyone know this problem? What can be done?

Andreas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 18:35:47 PM »

(@Andreas:
 =>as you deleted your post, I think this is obsolete now?

Hello frisil,

that was a mistake of me. I'm sorry. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
Andreas
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 19:00:51 PM »

Hello,

I wrote the Bug. Wink

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=8411

Greetings
Andreas
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 19:40:04 PM »

Hi Frisil,

Welcome, and am sorry to hear about the problem you are encountering. 

Now, you have me curious.  I have an older machine with IDE type connections, no Serial ATA stuff, so I'm going to install Pardus 2008.1 (install disk)  on my AMD K7 family cpu, BioStar motherboard and see how it goes.  I am surprised we don't see more of this complaint, as I am sure that we all do not use SATA drives, optical drives.  This is interesting problem to say the least.

Again, welcome!

Regards,
Lisa Marie
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 19:42:53 PM »

I think it's better that, if possible, the author of the bug might be the one that actually faces the bug, because he is the one that is warned by email when a developper asks for further informations.
Anyway, frisil, you have a reply on the bug page Wink

Andreas
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 19:51:39 PM »

Hello frisil,

here a reply of the Bug-Team:

Code:
------- Comment #1 From Ozan Çağlayan 2008-10-13 20:34:43 -------
// Add Onur to CC

Can you send your dmesg output during the slowdown?

Please edit with your E-Mail-Adress there to the CC-List and you will informed directly from Bug-Team.

Greetings
Andreas
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 00:01:52 AM »

@Andreas: Thanks for reporting it for me, I would have done it myself now if you haven't been faster. I added what they requested in the bug report, so I hope someone can tell me what went wrong and what can be done about it.

@Lisa: Thanks for the friendly welcome! I really love Pardus at first sight, my first thought was: This is a desktop Linux as it should be! Then I encountered this dreadful bug...
Please tell me if it also occured on your old machine, or is it just me? BTW, I added my dmesg info to the bug report Andreas filed, so you can look there if it helps.

@everyone: Thanks for this friendly support, Pardus seems to be great, even the community!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 00:08:00 AM by frisil » Logged

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

I can see on your dmesg output that your problem is that DMA is disabled on your drive.
Code:
ata4.00: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues.  It can be enabled

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:33 PM »

Okay, would be great if this is the only problem. How do I enable it? Maybe the old kernels did it automatically?

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »

First, what is the output of the following command line ?
Code:
hdparm -i /dev/sr0

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 14:07:11 PM »

First, what is the output of the following command line ?
Code:
hdparm -i /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0:

Model=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B               , FwRev=DL13    , SerialNo=FCE53190CA4D
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
 AdvancedPM=no
 Drive conforms to: Unspecified:  ATA/ATAPI-2,3,4,5

* signifies the current active mode

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 14:57:58 PM »

I can see that the (ultra)-dma mode of your DVD drive is set to udma2. For your information, mine is set to udma4. It seems that it doesn't accept a higher dma mode. How old is your DVD drive ?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: