Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:50:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  serious problem: cd/dvd drive slowdown
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: serious problem: cd/dvd drive slowdown  (Read 2114 times)
Andreas
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 15:41:46 PM »

Hello,

The Bug-Team recommends an BIOS update.

Greetings
Andreas
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 19:07:37 PM »

It's about 5 years old.

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 20:46:21 PM »

Hi,

Well, I installed it on my older system this morning and all systems go.  I was just watching a DVD, Lost in Space and reminded me of why I stopped using this machine - Noisy Fans! 

I have socket A, amd athlon xp +2100 cpu, Biostar M7VIZ mobo, onboard VIA chipset, 1Gib SPD DDR 333MHz memory RAM,  Audigy Live! 7.1 24bit audio card, ATI Radeon 7000 video card, one cd burner, and dvd burner.  So, it can't be ide as these are ide connected.

The only thing I didn't get was system sound at beginning, and I checked the speaker icon for volume, turned it up from 0 to 100%.  Then I had to change settings in the players, as usually they are set to /media/sda1, or more often as /dev/cdrom.  I changed them all to /dev/scd0.  Played some Mahler on the player as well as Kaffeine and Amarok, all is well.  I haven't tried to burn anything, but it does sound like something is not set up right in your system.  I used Pardus 2008.1 install disk.  The more system specs you can give, the better people can help.

(Adminstrator, is there a way to make code scrollabe so huge data doesn't take up so much thread space?  Thanks! Just checked and I see that one sends in dmesg output to Administrator.  Gotcha.

Lisa

P.S. Frisil, after looking about for some answers, it could very well be a BIOS problem that would be fixed with a BIOS upgrade. 
One person that was compiling their own kernel by using a newer kernel had this problem where the cd player becoming very slow, and it  turned out to be the onboard VIA IDE controller.  He rewrote his kernel to use a generic one and all was fixed.
Look at your computer motherboard and cpu's homepage for any bios upgrades - see if anything has been fixed that may be directed towards your problem - such as IDE, DMA, etc.

The problem also sounds like what my husband experienced after installing xp on an older gateway computer he got from his Aunt.  Shame on me for posting a MS link, but the problem is somewhat similar.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Regards,
Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 23:22:10 PM by Lisa » Logged
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 22:58:34 PM »

I updated my bios but to no avail, the problem persists. I did a little research and found out that DMA has to be enabled because it seems to have been disabled by default dor security reasons. As this is a new topic, I have started a new thread about it.

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: