Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:22:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [given up] Pardus freezes and I have to hard reboot - What to do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [given up] Pardus freezes and I have to hard reboot - What to do?  (Read 1859 times)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2008, 20:25:17 PM »

Today I installed Pardus on yet another computer, and it's worst case scenario: As soon as I do anything, the system freezes. Mouse stops, keyboard doesn't work, not even "raising skinny elephants..."! Hard reboot inevitable. This always happens just after X starts.

Video is an older ATI, driver "radeon" is used. I also tied to boot in secure graphic mode, then just the screen resulotion is smaller, but it also freezes. This is extremely bad, as this machine is intended to be part of a local Pardus network.

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:22:44 AM by frisil » Logged

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 20:34:54 PM »

Did your install include a swap partition, and what is it's size (also relatively to the other partitions) ?

What is the RAM memory of the PC you installed Pardus at?

What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file looks like?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 20:41:55 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
azra
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 20:37:54 PM »

Have you tried installing Pardus in lower graphic mode?
That works sometimes for me for lower en machines
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 21:12:05 PM »

What is the name of the graphic card ?
what about the "ati" driver instead of "radeon" in the xorg.conf file ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 21:36:59 PM »

Did your install include a swap partition, and what is it's size (also relatively to the other partitions) ?

What is the RAM memory of the PC you installed Pardus at?

What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file looks like?

Memory: 1 GB
Swap: 2GB
Partitions:  26 GB Windows XP (ntfs)
                  32 GB DATA (fat32)
                  58 GB Linux (ext3)

xorg.conf:
not relevant and edited out - see following post
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:56:06 AM by frisil » Logged

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:54:58 AM »

Okay, graphic adapter and xorg.conf was barking up the wrong tree - I just found the culprit: The freeze always happens the moment my wireless LAN card tries to connect to the network. What could be wrong there?

wireless adapter is a D-Link DWL-G510 which the system lists as: RT2 561 / RT61 rev B 802.11g - RaLink

could it somehow use a wrong driver? If so, how do I change it? By the way, it could scan the network correctly and found the name, but when it tries to connect, the freeze occours.

Damn, this wireless adapter has a LINUX sign on the package and worked well with Mepis! Any ideas how to get it working with Pardus?

Andreas
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:43 AM »

Hello,

did you installed the ati-drivers and ati-control-center and did you configurate your Video-Card with Tasma?

Tasma > System > Display-Manager

Greetings
Andreas

P.S.: Perhaps you should write a Bug about this problem.
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »

Hello Andreas,
the problem has nothing to do with graphics, although it was my first guess, too. I can work with the system forever, but as soon as I try to connect to the wireless network, it freezes. I even tried a re-install, same result.

Really strange is: if I insert a wireless link USB stick and reconfigure, everything works. If I unplug the stick and reconfigure the internal wireless adapter, everything still works! But if I reboot, the problem occours again, as soon as the internal adapter tries to connect to the network (just after I entered my password for starting the network), the system freezes and I have to hard-reboot!

So what can I do? I would buy a new stick, but as the internal adapter works under certain conditions (and it worked well with Mepis) there has to be a way! Anyone got any ideas?

Andreas
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 13:19:57 PM »

Anyone got any ideas?

Hello frisil,

my idea is, that you should wrote a Bug. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 01:22:08 AM »

I'm going to remove the wireless adapter from the computer and try to cash it in for a stick - I'm fed up with this "Linux compatible" D-Link junk! Problem solved - well, okay, abandoned...

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »

Hi to all,

a bug report for same issue is already existing, I wrote it in Turkish few months ago:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=7575

You can try to explain your problems - which are similar to my one's - in English. But it seems that nothing is going on, perhaps the Pardus Linux developer are not interested to fix/solve this issue ...   Undecided ?

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

Are you using WPA authentication ? If so, it might be the same problem as the one described and solved there : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=419709 and summed up here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=419709

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 19:14:02 PM »

Hi frisil,

don't know what else to suggest but try to specify LAN with the static IP address 192.168.0.1 even though your setup probably uses dynamic address.

http://www.tech-faq.com/192.168.0.1.shtml

Lisa Marie
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 21:20:17 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, but I can no longer try it. I wasn't kidding: The card was rather new, so I gave it back to the shop and got another device (wlan-USB-stick) instead. It was the easiest way...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: