Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 15:48:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Coice Of Desktop Enviroment In YALI
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coice Of Desktop Enviroment In YALI  (Read 744 times)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »

I think that a larger market share can be achieved by letting the user choose the desktop enviroment he/she wants during YALI, so that its the default enviroment when they first log in. GNOME will appeal to most of the Linux community, and Xfce will entice those with older computers or those who wants a more stable OS.

Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:34:49 AM »

This is something Ubuntu does a really good job with. I installed kubuntu-desktop in an existing Ubuntu 8.04.1 install, and now at the login, I can choose either a Gnome or a KDE session. (I don't know if I can have three, or even more, sessions to choose from. I haven't tried.) If Pardus could offer a similar option, I think it would be only for the better.

I'm partial to Gnome, personally. It's simpler and more functional. But I may be the minority these days.

I will say that Pardus has the best KDE desktop I've tried. Having everything in Tasma instead of scattering configuration settings around in two or three locations made it a lot easier for me to get past the opening-night hassles and get down to work and play. I'd say that from sticking the install disc in my CD tray to doing something useful and everyday took me about 90 minutes in Pardus, which is pretty darn good. Also, Pardus-KDE isn't overloaded with eye candy. There are some seriously ugly KDE desktops out there!
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »

I'm suggesting not even installing other Desktop enviroments (although that sounds like a very good feature of Ubuntu, I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure), just choosing what you want, this will avoid cluttering your hard drive with enviroments you don't use.

You probably feel that way simply because KDE is the default enviroment of Pardus lol Wink

I agree wholeheartedly, KDE can be absolutely <awful>, its the only reason I stuck with Ubuntu for so long, Gnome has a cleaner crisper interface. But I feel that on Pardus, KDe is a model of stabilitily and customizability.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: