Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:52:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Sharing files between computers
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sharing files between computers  (Read 3432 times)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »

My laptop and desktop both use Pardus 2008 now and are both connected to the same network switch. But I don't know how to access the files of the other computer. Both have homes for the same user, and I want to access both folders with both computers. Any easy way to do this?

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »

I'm not certain that's possible at this stage in Pardus development, however, if you have several large files/subfirectories that will remain basically unchanged, then creating a torrent of it and seeding it, will allow the other computer to download the torrent at a speed of several megabytes per second (literally megabytes, not like ISP "megabytes" which are actually kilobytes...).
I hope this helps you.

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »

A torrent would be a workarround. I just want to access the other computer's files via network. I just need some help how to set it up (folder sharing, nfs, samba, etc.). What is the best and easiest solution?

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 13:03:32 PM »

......... Any easy way to do this?
I don't know if this is the easiest way, but is possible through the samba (smb) protocol.
Look in http://en.pardus-wiki.org/HOWTO:SambaNetwork how to setup Pardus.
And in http://forum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1138.msg7207#msg7207 for details between two Pardus PC.
The later is in Dutch and I will make English wikipage for it. (will take some time)
The bottom line is that NetBIOS name:  and Workgroup: should have DIFFERENT names.
As a default the /home/samba directory is configured as a shared directory.
Take the properties of this directory as a guide for other directories.
I hope this will help !!!  Wink
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 13:04:36 PM »

http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=LinuxCadieuxSharingNetworkPrinter&fromSeriesID=19

^ The video tutorial is performed on OpenSUSE, but the theory is essentially the same.

MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 13:31:21 PM »

It works with Samba. I have done it, don't ask me how though. What I do know is that it's easier if you enable samba on boot- up (as described in the wiki)

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 16:47:40 PM »

Wiki has been updated !!!!!  Grin
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 16:54:01 PM »

That's great, Thank you for your contribution to PardusWiki, please help expand it further Smiley

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 01:58:14 AM »

Thanks for the links with samba: I chose "share entire homes"  and now I can access the complete directory structure of the other computer with smb://computer_name

Only one problem: When I want to go to the personal user folders in home, I am asked for a username and password. Entering the username and pasword of the folder's owner does not work, nor does root and rootpassword. What do I enter here? How do I set up this password protection (or disable it?)

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 13:08:26 PM »

......... "share entire homes" ........
I didn't try this one myself, so I don't know the settings.
I will try it and come back ................... but that will take some time ...........

............  and now I can access the complete directory structure of the other computer with smb://computer_name
............. to go to the personal user folders in home, I am asked for a username and password. Entering the username .......
And investigate this one ...............
Isn't "personal user folders" part of "complete directory structure"?   Huh?
As an exercise you can copy an image file from the /home/username directory to /home/samba and see if it is accessible.
And play with the properties of this file.
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 15:14:10 PM »

I can access all folders and files that belong to root and are readable for every user. I even created a new test folder called /usr/share/sambatest, if I copy files there (as root) the other computer can access and copy them, but only if they are readable for all. What I lack is just the following: I want to be able to access my home folder with my laptop without having to copy/move/change permissions of the files first. Both computers use the same user with same user id and same password. So it should be possible somehow.
But when I click on my home folder on the other computer, a window pops up asking for a username and password. My username and password does not work.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 15:40:46 PM »

But when I click on my home folder on the other computer, a window pops up asking for a username and password. My username and password does not work.
Then you are making contact with "the other computer" through smb://.........
And at this moment I don't know what your id is on "the other computer".
This is all about id and properties of a file (Linux security).
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 17:10:25 PM »

And at this moment I don't know what your id is on "the other computer".
This is all about id and properties of a file (Linux security).

I know about Linux security (right management of files), but I don't know what Samba wants from me... It doesn't accept the id and password from the other computer, although it is the same on both machines.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 00:33:41 AM »

Want I want to say is that I don't know what your id is when make contact with "the other computer" through smb://.........
Maybe it is nobody, somebody or guest.
I have to build it myself................... but that will take some time ...........
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 19:37:16 PM »

I think I log in as my normal user (frisil). That's what my Superkaramba desktop applet shows. Normally it shows "users logged in: frisil frisil" (why two times, BTW?). When I connect to samba from the laptop, it shows frisil 4 times.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: