Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:41:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Sharing files between computers
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sharing files between computers  (Read 3441 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 20:30:37 PM »

I am still working on it ..............
......... I chose "share entire homes" ...............
I found out that "share entire homes" is not a good idea.
At the moment I working on making the /home/username directory visible.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 13:32:46 PM »

I found out that "share entire homes" is not a good idea.
At the moment I working on making the /home/username directory visible.
When you use "share entire homes", ALL directories and files of Pardus are readable.
Wiki has been updated with:
Making your Home directory readable on the network
Have a look.  Smiley
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 15:48:07 PM »

Its great that you synchronise PardusWiki with Forum, people would do well to follow your example.

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 23:14:18 PM »

When you use "share entire homes", ALL directories and files of Pardus are readable.

This is exactly what I intended. Being able to access ALL files from my desktop with my laptop, even windows partitions and mounted CDs. But Samba seems to be broken in Pardus (see other thread). So I found a better solution: NFS. NFS allows mounting the filesystem of another computer as if it was local. If anybody is interested, I can post a How-to.

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 23:44:34 PM »

I'd be most interested, I am several computers in the same network, please create a page on PardusWiki Smiley (if its not too much trouble)

MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »

@Frisil

Can NFS handle ntfs- partitions? I thought it was only for sharing between linux- partitions.

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 19:06:38 PM »

I'm not sure about ntfs, I'll try tomorrow... Today I tried sharing my whole / folder, which works well, but the /mnt folder is empty, so it doesn't follow other partitions automatically. I'll try to mount the others separately, maybe it will work.

For the quick how-to:

1. Make sure the nfs daemon is running on both computers (activate in tasma-system).
2. On the server computer, edit /etc/exports and add the line: / client_computer_name(rw,sync)
(make sure to change client_computer_name to the name of the computer that shall be allowed to mount the server's /
If you only want to share one folder, make the line something like: /home client_computer_name(rw,sync)
3. reboot (not sure if necessary)
4. Create a folder on the client computer where the other computer's fs shall be mounted (let's assume it's /server_name)
5. Open a console and become root (su root)
6. Type mount server_computer_name:/ /server_name -o sync,hard,intr
(make sure to replace server_computer_name by the server's name, or you can also use the server's IP)
If only mounting a folder, use mount server_computer_name:/home /server_name -o sync,hard,intr
7. Now you can access the other computer's fs in /server_name as if it was local

The options sync, hard and intr should be used to avoid file corruption because of network connection failures. It's quicker without sync, but not recommanded!

You can automount on the client by adding a line to fstab but this will cause problems if the other computer is not available (boot process stops and hangs). So do not use on mobile computers like laptops.

All this I learned from: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ and especially from http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s03.html

I hope that helps for now....

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 15:32:34 PM »

It would be great now if anyone could find out how I can mount other partitions from the server machine. At the moment, I cannot access any other partitions from the client except for the root partition, the /mnt folder stays empty.

How do I export other partitions?

something like

/dev/sda7 client_computer_name(rw,sync)

in exports does not work!

James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 23:42:03 PM »

How do I export other partitions?

something like

/dev/sda7 client_computer_name(rw,sync)

in exports does not work!

At the risk of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, the export path should be the mount point not the device name. So if the partition /dev/sda7 is mounted as /data then the export line should be:
Code:
/data client_computer_name(rw,sync)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: