Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:46:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Firefox sluggish on some websites?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefox sluggish on some websites?  (Read 1048 times)
Sertse
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 15:01:19 PM »

When using Pardus, I sometimes find that FF is really sluggish with certain sites. Clicking is unresponsive, scrolling is jerky etc. This is particular the case when using facebook for example.

When I do it with konqueror the pahes appear to be fine (smooth), though it take longer to load.

Anyone else experience this? It doesn't seem to be the case with other distros...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 15:05:56 PM by Sertse » Logged
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 15:09:25 PM »

This is most likely due to the scripting of the website (i.e. Flash/Javascript), Linux drivers from the distributers are lacking in many respects, I get the same problem when loading my homepage (www.igoogle.com) because of all the different add-ons I have, each with its own script.

Of course, Firefox uses the Gecko engine, which, whilst very advanced and expandible, lacks the speed of Webkit based browsers such as Google Chrome (not yet on Linux), Safari, Epiphany etc.

Another possibility is process management, when I used Ubuntu I hardly ever felt the scripts weighing down my Firefox, on Pardus I use a lot more applications simulataeneously which slows down the browser ultimately. The other distros you have used most likely had better process management.

Lastly, the add-ons you install are very important, some should not be used on Linux at all due to compatibility errors, are there any add-ons you use now, that you didn't use when using other distros?

The next version of Firefox will have far better scripting control in an attempt to undermine Chrome.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 15:15:10 PM by Mhmrcs » Logged

Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 15:10:23 PM »

What version of FF are you using and what's your hardware configuration?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: