Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:10:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  As seen on the internet
| | |-+  Chromium for Linux, someday?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chromium for Linux, someday?  (Read 788 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2008, 19:28:04 PM »

Hi Forum,

I'm always interested in Browser information, especially being on dial-up.

I've never tried Google Chrome, and only found out about it today.  It is open sourced, but at the moment, no working Linux version yet.   

http://dev.chromium.org/
Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 19:44:57 PM »

Google has announced plans to support native Mac and Linux versions of Chromium, but they have yet to be released.
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 20:18:16 PM »

http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/
Download the link entitled:
"CrossOver Chromium for Ubuntu and Debian (32 bit)"
Its very unstable, but it will get you a feel of the design.

If you're using Dial-Up and want to slim your connection, consider Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock installed, it will allow you to choose what you download, and can cut bandwidth >very< considerably.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 16:48:26 PM »

Thanks so much for the tips, Mhmrcs!  You know, in the past two weeks dial up has become very slow.  I don't know if it is something on my part, or due to current USA news and people are on line more because of it. 

I tend to avoid using plug-ins as much as possible.  Call me Paranoid!  I tend to see them as added bloat.  But, what I do is turn off "automatically load images" and that helps a lot, as well as often I turn of Java Script, but it is getting more difficult to view web pages as they rely more and more on JS.  Back in the early days of our dial up internet time of the mid-90's. we would surf with JS  & JAVA disabled and had no problems with viewing web pages.   I will look into the adblock.  I can't stand looking at ads that wiggle and jiggle and scroll - makes me dizzy.  Like being in Las Vegas at night.  Shocked

Regards,
Lisa Marie
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 17:07:47 PM »

Firefox does have inherent flaws (such that Chrome sought to overcome), such as, when tabs are closed, memory remnents remain, accumulate and really hammer the performance.

I absolutely detest bloat too, but NoScript just gives you the power to select the scripts you want, I personally need it to use proxy websites (I download torrents and ISPs in the UK are hunting everyone down Sad) and video sharing websites etc.
Lol, I really, as in, >really< hate ads that appear once you click somewhere on the webpage (no image etc, just invisible...)...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: