Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:39:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Virtualizing software?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Virtualizing software?  (Read 3466 times)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2008, 18:47:55 PM »

I recently started seriously considering virtual operating systems, do using them improve security?

Which program would you reccomend?
QEMU
VirtualBox
OpenVZ
VMware
Xen

Are there any outstanding features each of them have?
I'm looking for a program I can run easily on my Pardus desktop, this program should be able to run all platforms well - Solaris/BSD/Mac/Windows.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 21:35:58 PM by Mhmrcs » Logged

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 19:17:08 PM »

The easiest is VirtualBox. There was a pisi package for it in pardus 2007, but a bug broke it, and since then, it is no more in the repository. It can be installed by hand, though.
With the "guest-additions", you can enjoy fullscreen mode and USB support.
Put a virtualized Windows XP on a Pardus host in fullscreen mode and you can't tell the difference with a normal Windows XP installation ! It is really as fast as a standard Windows installation.
Another great feature is the ability to save the current state of a session and get back directly there without going through the entire boot process again.

Atolboo made a wiki page about it : http://en.pardus-wiki.org/HOWTO:VirtualBox
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 19:21:00 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 19:31:46 PM »

Thanks PhiX, you've confirmed which I want to use, does it support Mac/BSD/Solaris?

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 23:24:31 PM »

PhiX, fully researched it and tried it - you were a big help, thank you for the PardusWiki redirection.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 22:00:17 PM »

I am working on a complete overhaul of the Vmware wiki page.
I can now install and use VMware-Player-2.5.2-156735.i386.bundle in Pardus and install  a guest OS.
The problem is that VMware-Player doesn't have a network connection after a restart of Pardus (host) .
I can solve this problem with the following command in a Konsole:
Code:
sudo sh /etc/init.d/vmware start
This is not a very practical solution.
My question is: where can I put (part?) this command so that it is executed when Pardus is started? Huh?
Any ideas are welcome.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 20:54:04 PM »

I am working on a complete overhaul of the Vmware wiki page.
I found a different solution for the problem and the Vmware wiki page is almost ready.  Cheesy
I only need to finish the vmware_tools for Windows.

You are invited to have a look there and report big and small errors in this topic. Grin
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 14:25:19 PM »

I know this is old thread, but I would like to learn about how to create a virtual desktop.  The one page I read was at ubuntu site and it said it is preferred to create a virtual desktop in windows os (if it is installed on one's computer) and then run Linux in it.  This would would require to use vmware.  Free vmware is for 32 bit and vmware for 64 bit costs money.  Is this how you folks running a virtual desktop have your systems set up (if Windows is installed, too)?   
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 15:12:42 PM »

I only have Windows in a virtual enviroment.
And for that I use VirtualBox from Package Manager Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 15:33:11 PM »

Thanks, atolboo.  Onward to the pardus wiki I go.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 15:45:58 PM »

.........pardus wiki I go.
In this case you don`t need the Wiki.
saygili
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 16:50:55 PM »

Hi Lisa,

I am using Pardus 2011.2 and on top of it virtualbox. My office tools works under windows. Virtualbox solves all problems. just install virtualbox and on top of windows guest additions.

Thats all

Murat
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 20:51:36 PM »

Thanks again, atolboo.  Thanks Murat.  I see why it is of use for you as you can use nspluginwrapper Citrix - windows tools.  

My current set up on my desktop is two hard drives, first one has xp pro and second one has Pardus Anka and Mandriva Rosa with a swap in the middle. What I would like to do is reinstall Pardus 2011 64 bit, get all updates, and somehow install Anka OS as the virtual one since it is in its testing phase and some programs in Anka don't work for me (digikam, for one, plus that microcode error).  Forgive me for being ignorant about virtual desktop, but I see how useful it can be.  I look forward to learning how to use it.  I obviously do not understand it. Again, thank you for sharing how you have yours setup.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 22:01:40 PM by Lisa » Logged
saygili
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »

Hi Lisa,

In my office laptop, I have Pardus and Virtual Box. Virtual box is necessary for me due to outlook (since we do not have pop access) and IE and office tools.

The rest use Pardus. nspluginwarpper is used for plugins not supported in 64 bit linux. I am extracting Citrix 32 bit plugins to 64 bit by nspluginwaper.

I strongly suggest you VirtualBox instead of dual booting. It is really useful.

Best Regards,

Murat
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 16:10:54 PM »

Finally got done what I wanted to achieve but came to a 'sticking point', as the expression goes.  It is a neat idea, though and now I understand better how it works. 
I did a fresh reinstall of Pardus 2011.2 for 64-bit, and installed virtualbox by oracle.  Then started the program after adding my user to 'virt' group.  I was guessing at the next numbers when going through the virtualbox wizard.  I have 4 G of ram and gave the virt. machine 720mb of ram.  Then created a 20 G virtual disk space and had the .vdi in my home folder.  I made sure it was 'released' in virtual machine manager before I proceeded to start. Had the Pardus 2011.2 installation disc in my second dvd burner and wow,  there was the installation of Pardus , but as soon as it got to the kernel progress bar starting up, it stopped and I got the message that the 'kernel requires a x86_64 cpu but only detected an _i686 cpu...'.  My motherboard is a bit old and looks like my cpu doesn't allow virtualization (Asus a8ne withlatest BIOS update, AMD athlon 64 fx57).  Anyway, just wanted to chime in that I can't wait to try it again, but will have to wait until my tool is newer.  I liked the wizard, as it made it easy to install, which is why I put off trying it for so long, as I thought it would be complicated.
Lisa Marie
saygili
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 19:20:06 PM »

Hi Lisa, The current version has too many bugs. I have downloaded the binray package and installed it. Currently Atolboo is working for pisi package.

The new version which ,s 4.1.8 much better.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: