Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 18:30:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Virtualizing software?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Virtualizing software?  (Read 3469 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 19:38:01 PM »

Hi Lisa, The current version has too many bugs.
I don't agree on this one. My current experience is that it is doing what it is supposed to do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 22:25:55 PM by atolboo » Logged
jasperodus
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 22:13:01 PM »

Hi Lisa,

Seems we have similar hardware, of a similar vintage. I have: AMD 64x2 4800+ & Gigabyte GA-M56-S3 motherboard.

I had same microcode issue as you (following Anka update). I edited GRUB, blacklisted microcode and then removed the microcode package.

I also had the virtualbox problem you mention here (can't remember which distro I was using at the time I was playing with vitrualbox). Same error: '..no 64bit found'. Can't remember now if it was just a case that my BIOS has no option to enable vt-x (?).

EDIT: Re-reading my previous post, I see it was messy - so I have split it up a bit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:24:20 AM by jasperodus » Logged
evowinds

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »

Hi Lisa,
The problem you are facing with is a BIOS problem. Your motherboard must support 64 bit and virtualization.
Try to find the BIOS setting to enable 64 bit installation.
Here is the topic that may help your problem.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=78123

Bright morning of the Dark night ... Pardus ANKA is a new beginning...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 17:36:58 PM »

Thank you evowinds for the tip!

I just got back from a week's visit to my mother and father-in-law.  I just installed Pardus on a separate partition on my large hard drive and will install Anka atop it.  But I would like to try the virtual machine thing again as that was "neato".  I was at some forum where virtualisation was discussed and there was mention that VirtualBox didn't rely on one's cpu or BIOS virtual capabilities.  We'll see.  Maybe someday I can get a used laptop newer than my desktop and try it on that.  
Lisa Marie ...as usual, spelling and/or grammar mistakes
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:11:42 AM by Lisa » Logged
evowinds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:53 AM »

I also hope for you Lisa, btw enjoy your new installation of Anka.

Bright morning of the Dark night ... Pardus ANKA is a new beginning...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 22:29:50 PM »

Hi evowinds,

I completely overlooked the previous answers from you, atolboo and jasperoduus and see you mentioned the BIOS and motherboard capabilities.  Yep, both my socket 939 cpu and a8ne motherboard BIOS don't support virtualisation, so that forum where someone said  that these don't have to support virtualisation was wrong.   
Lisa Marie
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 23:45:24 PM »

I don't know about this , but have you looked at it Lisa ? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 20:28:24 PM »

Hi Anglo,
Thanks as I didn't know about that one.  I just gave it a try after trying to figure the qtemu GUI out, and it wouldn't do anything when I clicked 'start'. Then I found the Pardus Wiki on virtualisation for qemu and followed the command line instructions.  Behold, this time it started with a another window popping up starting the install process of Pardus,

Code:
$ qemu -soundhw all -localtime -hda /home/r3hju7asusa8ne/MyMachines/AnkaLinux/AnkaLinux.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d
Could not initialize KVM, Do you have kvm-amd or kvm-intel modprobe'd?
If you want to use CPU emulation, start with -no-kvm.
asusa8ne@pardus2011 ~ $ qemu -soundhw all -localtime -hda /home/asusa8ne/MyMachines/AnkaLinux/AnkaLinux.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -no-kvm

but after getting so far in the starting kernel progress bar, I get the same error.

The error being, 'this kernel requires an x86_64 cpu but only detected an i686 cpu, unable to boot. '

But now I'm getting the hang of using the different virtual machine softwares available.  I asked my husband to try virtualbox on his lap top and it does work on his dual processor machine.  So maybe when I can get my hands on his laptop, I can play with it, or when he lets me have it if he ever upgrades.  That will be a long time in coming.   Cheesy
Lisa Marie

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 20:39:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that as it mentioned "hardware emultation" , although I couldn't see that doing any better than half speed at best.....
anglo
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 23:24:12 PM »

Sorry, I don't always understand what you are saying.   You Canadians speak another mind set.  Wink
Remember, I am dense of the thinking process.  But...I thought I'd try it with a 32 bit os, so put Pardus 2009.2 installation disc in, and it started the boot up progress bar, and I expected it either not continue or to bring me to the install Yali process, but instead it started up services, tty, etc root log in, which I entered 'startx' and brought me to a simple session manager.  I guess I am getting there.  Maybe I should have said, 'startkdm'.  So, it does seem to work on my system with a 32 bit os.  I assumed it wouldn't work on 32 bit os, no virtual of any kind.

* xsmsess.png (9.1 KB, 244x154 - viewed 122 times.)
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 23:42:02 PM »

Sorry, I don't always understand what you are saying.   You Canadians speak another mind set.  Wink

Vive La DiffĂ©rence !!
                                   thats
                     "  long live the difference  "
                              for you Yanks...

Smiley Anglo

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 00:41:38 AM by Anglo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »

And that is a good thing, as our differences make us interesting.

And, I tried it again, and this time I waited after the services were started (dbus, services,tty and ended at login as root) and after several minutes the Yali installer began.  The only part I didn't know what to do concerned installation.  I stopped the process as I don't know if I should install a bootloader for a virtual machine, or what partition to use.  It is showing Disk 1 (sda) 15GB, but that is where I have XP installed.  So I am unsure how to continue.  Virutal=fake, so if I let it do what it suggests, maybe it is okay.  Probably not.  Wink  Time to call it a day and get ready to watch 'Inspector Lewis" on PBS.  I've got some learning to do about this part of virtualisation.  (how do you like that for a Yankee.  I spelt virtualisation without a z and 'spelt' instead of 'spelled'  Tongue )

* Xmanpart.png (92.52 KB, 884x707 - viewed 123 times.)
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 03:09:49 AM »

And that is a good thing, as our differences make us interesting.

And, I tried it again, and this time I waited after the services were started (dbus, services,tty and ended at login as root) and after several minutes the Yali installer began.  The only part I didn't know what to do concerned installation.  I stopped the process as I don't know if I should install a bootloader for a virtual machine, or what partition to use.  It is showing Disk 1 (sda) 15GB, but that is where I have XP installed.  So I am unsure how to continue.  Virutal=fake, so if I let it do what it suggests, maybe it is okay.  Probably not.  Wink  Time to call it a day and get ready to watch 'Inspector Lewis" on PBS.  I've got some learning to do about this part of virtualisation.  (how do you like that for a Yankee.  I spelt virtualisation without a z and 'spelt' instead of 'spelled'  Tongue )

My knowledge of qemu is from long ago and far away , but there used to be gui's for it , (kemu , kdemu , something like that).the viurtual o/s was stored as a  file as I remember...........I suggest further reading , I'm likely dated at this point.

Inspector lewis? a spin-off from Inspector Morris? this indeed bears further investigation.

As for english , I count the language as a variable thing, allowing infinite variety and colour (cdn).
( Y'all done right purdy .lil missy )

[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: