Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:26:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Hello
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2149 times)
Redwave

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »

Hi, I' m an italian user of linux pardus, i'm coming from ubuntu, and I have installed pardus witouth problems, so I have some questions,

What are the comands for the console for install a programm/package?
Is Amule a good program for download in pardus?
How I can change Icons,fonts,themes and panels in Pardus?

Sorry for my bad English.

Goodbye
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 13:17:10 PM »

Hello and welcome Redwave,

To install a program from the command line :
Code:
sudo pisi it MyProgram.pisi

Amule is available in the package repository. It is good for P2P downloading.
Ktorrent is for bittorrent downloading

The appearance can be changed in the Pardus control center, called "TASMA", under the "Appearance & Themes" component. You can launch it from the Pardus menu.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Redwave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 14:47:30 PM »

Very Thanks PhiX, I have do all, thanks.

Now I have another question, I'm trying to use a game for windows on pardus, it is called "metin 2", I' have already installed wine and the game, but when I start the game and he loading at the 100%, wine send me a message like "Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??" and two buttons Yes or No.

I ' don't know why, and if in this forum there is someone who play metin 2 on pardus can he explain me how i can do for play this game.

The site of the game : www.metin2.it

Goodbay and thanks

Ps: How I can reseize in small o very small the icons on the desktop?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 14:50:28 PM by Redwave » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 16:01:30 PM »

For metin, you should write another post. "One problem, one post". It makes search easier.

For the icon size, they are not resizable, but you can adapt your screen resolution in TASMA > Peripheral > Monitor. If this doesn't work out for you, please write a specific post on the forum.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 17:44:05 PM »

Redwave, install Virtual Box, and download a Windows XP .iso and run it - it will allow you to play any Windows game. I've given you a fairly brief description, if you'd like anymore help, just say so, and I'll provide complete  information.

Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 18:42:07 PM »

Mhmrcs, what are you talking about!? Why does he need to run it under VirtualBox if it can be run under Wine?
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 19:27:59 PM »

Now I have another question, I'm trying to use a game for windows on pardus, it is called "metin 2", I' have already installed wine and the game, but when I start the game and he loading at the 100%, wine send me a message like "Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??" and two buttons Yes or No.

@ Ch00k, with all due respect, it would appear WINE has a problem with that particular game, the only other way, that I personally know to run Windows applications, is to virtualize them - it has a very low failure rate. Unless you have something constructive to say, don't just post a message for the sake of contradicting another without reading the original post please, I'm simply trying to help, virtualization is the way forward (I believe) and it allows you to use the Windows interface (which is dead easy and always compatible).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 20:32:20 PM by Mhmrcs » Logged

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 19:45:04 PM »

apparently it will work under wine http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5201

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 19:46:52 PM »

nother game to conisder is Etrenral Lands.

It is free and looks similar the game you are wanting to play.

I have plaed it before, but I cannot get into them, they require too much effort to play haha.

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 20:30:04 PM »

Consider trying other "emulators" (I know, I know - WineIsNotAnEmulator - what is it?) packages (PlayOnLinux) etc, it could be a recent Metin update etc, it is classified as usable by WINE.

@ tuxedup - LOL - I played that! Fantastic game, I got to level 9 or so on Attack/Defense, I wandered off the beginners island and was instantly killed... I couldn't find a sword etc, in my opinion, its RuneScape done right (I think the combat coding needs work). Have you tried Glest? (Its a fantasy Age Of Mythology - I'd reccomend it to anyone - Its the best non-shooter game on Linux on my opinion.)

Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 20:37:33 PM »

Mhmrcs, I am absolutely sure that you did not even try to run this game under Wine. The message that Redwave received does not say anything. You cannot affirm that it says that the game filed to start. It just says nothing. So, your suggestion not to use Wine has absolutely no ground under it.
Redwave, did you try to click Yes and No buttons? What happened when you clicked them?
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 21:42:37 PM »

My system configuration, and computer architecture almost certainly differs from Redwave's, I don't even use the default KDE. I trusted in Redwave's common sense in trying out "Yes" and "No, > in posting this topic he obviously could not get the game working ergo failed to start. He used WINE, he did not get the program working, I'm not saying "Don't use WINE", I'm saying: "Use an emulator that will provide a long-term solution to any Windows-platform specific programs".

However, Ch00k, you make a good point - I'm downloading the game now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 21:46:53 PM by Mhmrcs » Logged

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 21:45:29 PM »

Amule is somewhat lacking, as is Limewire etc, passive P2P file sharing has strong limitations, I'd personally reccomend installing either KTorrent (High speeds), or Transmission (Cleaner interface), for detailed information:
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2274.0

Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 22:27:59 PM »

Downloaded and ran the application with no problem (and no graphics card installed), Redwave - Did you install the Gecko engine? Its crucial, try re-installing it.

* pic112.jpg (68.47 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 53 times.)

* pic111.jpg (89.62 KB, 800x600 - viewed 47 times.)

tuxedup
Pardus Developer
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 13:01:04 PM »

@Mhmrcs

Yeah Glest is good.

I have bene playing FretsOnFire lately.  It is similar to Guitar Hero.  We do not have it in the repos thoguh, but its easy to run.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: