Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 04:49:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [solved] nVidia drivers-new, nVidia-settings, nVidia-xconfig: lost login screen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] nVidia drivers-new, nVidia-settings, nVidia-xconfig: lost login screen  (Read 1926 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 00:36:03 AM »

Hi all,

I should have read the NVIDIA how-to before I did this, but too late now.

This is what happened.  I recently did a reinstall of Pardus 2008.1 and went ahead and used Display Manager which told me there are nVidia drivers for my card, so I let it open PiSi and chose the -new nVidia drivers as mine is a GeForce 8500.  I also ticked the two utilities that are part of nVidia, the xconfig something, and another nVidia-settings - Sorry, I'm going by memory here.  Anyway, after downloading the drivers, and the two utilities, I went to system and there was nVidia-settings GUI and I clicked on it, and it said that I'm not using nVidia driver in X11 and should run nvidia-xconfig as root and restart xserver.  Since I was in my user (no admin. priveleges) account, I logged out of that session and started my admin. user session, and did the same thing, clicked on the nVidia-settings GUI and it said the same thing.  So I opened terminal, did a su, typed in my password and then ran nvidia-xconfig and it said an error (I can't remember what ) and said it would make a back up of X11 config file.  So, I restarted the system and now I have no log in screen, just a console screen that you would see without the splash screen and
me-pardus login: (flashing cursor)
I type in my user with admin. rights and password it brings me to
useradmin-pardus ~$
and I don't know where to go from here...as in...what do I type.  I recall last year needing to type in "dpkg kde something" but I don't want to start randomly typing in stuff until I ask you folks. 

Simply put, I can't log in to my lovely KDE desktop. 

In my other distro, I can mount Pardus and in /etc/X11/ there are two files a xorg.conf and a xorg.conf.backup.   The xorg.conf is the new file generated with the nVidia settings. Should I try to delete it? 

Regards,
Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 17:08:35 PM by Lisa » Logged
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 00:40:12 AM »

Type in "startx" when you get to the console, I had this problem many times with Ubuntu, I simply reinstalled the distro...

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:19:35 AM »

You have to replace your current non working xorg.conf file with the backed-up one before typing startx.
Here is how to do this :

1. Copy-paste this command-line :
Code:
cd /etc/X11 ; mv xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf

2.  Press Ctrl-D (to exit admin login)

3. Type :
Code:
startx

4. Press the ENTER key
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:26:34 AM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »

Also have a look here  Smiley
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 14:06:25 PM »

Moin Moin all,

(I haven't had my koffee, yet  Grin )

Thanks so much Mhmrcs, PhiX and atolboo and I'm about to give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, to top it off, with my other distro I went ahead and let the Envy driver utility GUI download and install the nVidia driver as well, and this morning, turning on computer, that distro has also lost the log-in screen.  The difference though is with Pardus at least the console/terminal screen gives me option to login, but with this other distro, I am just getting a flashing cursor at the beginning after last line.    Tongue

Kind regards and sincere thanks,
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 17:17:55 PM »

Hi all,

I get the other distro up and running by logging in to safe mode and it had a utlity called xfix or something like that and I selected it and it rewrote the x11 file and I was able to log in to my kde destop.  Now I have about 6 various xorg.conf files and backup files there.  Undecided

In the other distro I mounted Pardus and did some looking about for any clues.
I looked at the var/log/xorg.0.log and the section concerning nvidia said:

Loading extension xfree86DRI
Loadmodule: "nvidia"
warning, couldn't open module
unloadmodule: "nvidia"
failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist,0)
load module: "kde"

I don't understand this for when I did a search for anything nvidia in Pardus, it shows two folders with the modules:
lib/modules/2.6.25.16-108/extra/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko
and
lib/modules/2.6.25.16-108/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.new.ko
(edited to add: I thought about this and figure these two modules are the Pardus default nVidia modules, not the proprietary third-party drivers.)

Oddly I recall with my initiall Pardus install about a month ago, I had no problem when I used Display Manager to install the necessary driver(s), but was I actually using it?  I think the difference was that this time while I had PiSi package manager opened, I also selected  "nvidia-settings" (the nV X server settings tool) and "nvidia-xconfig" (configuration tool), whereas the first time I only installed "nvidia-drivers-new".  As for the other distro and using Envy to auto-detect and install the drivers, it automatically installs "nvidia-settings".   But I wonder do I need these two utilities for settings and nvidia-xconfig to actually use the driver(s)?  I;ve read about someone else losing their X11 session after installing nVidia-settings (ubuntu forum), so I'm obviously not alone. 

The good news is I got my desktop back.  I had to use PhiX's fix.  Thanks again, gentlemen!

So, a last question, is anyone else using nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig...without problems? 

Regards,
Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 18:50:50 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

So, a last question, is anyone else using nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig...without problems? 
I hope that this isn't your last question !  Grin
I am using nvidia-settings without problems.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 01:44:30 AM »

Cheesy

Thanks for the feedback, atolboo, as I was wondering if I was the only one having a problem with it.  Back to the drawing board, as they say, to see what I did wrong, as I am curious. 

Lisa Marie

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: