Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus 2009
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009  (Read 11195 times)
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 22:33:27 PM »

Genuine Suggestion: Showing an introduction/blank page when starting up the Package Manager - I'm tired of spending 5-10 seconds waiting for that alphabetical list to load, its not neccessary. Also, I think Pardus could reccomend applications for new users to Linux possibly, like "ccsm" is Compiz, good games etc, in case people don't know about Pardus Wiki.

Gullible Jones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:24 AM »

Suggestions:

- For KDE3, use kaffeine-mozilla instead of gecko-mediaplayer. Get rid of gnome-mplayer, kmplayer, and everything mplayer by default - with Kaffeine able to play streaming media it becomes unnecessary bloat.

- KDE3 again: get rid of JuK in the default install, AmaroK beats it at everything. Tongue

- For KDE4, use VLC (0.9.x that is) and vlc-plugin for multimedia, instead of DragonPlayer. Yes, DragonPlayer is nice, but its plugin does not handle Quicktime movies correctly, and VLC is more versatile.

- Also for KDE4: enable Webkit for Konqueror, as Kubuntu has done. This makes it as good a browser as Firefox, if not better.

- I'll second the suggestion of a start page for pisi.

- More on the pisi front: make the GUI frontend download all packages and then install all packages, instead of downloading, installing, downloading, installing, etc. one by one - in other words, make it work like the CLI version. This would give a user more time to cancel transactions safely.

- Likewise for pisi: if possible (this would be asking a lot), give pisi the ability to resume incomplete transactions like Debian's APT.

- For the installer: some kind of advanced mode, in which it is possible to specify what filesystems are used, where they are mounted, etc. Support for XFS and JFS would be a good addition as well.

- Also for the installer: when setting date/time, there should be an option to say that your BIOS uses UTC. Otherwise this has to be set in /etc/conf.d/mudur after installation, which isn't so great for novice users.

That enough? Wink
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:26 AM »

Oh yeah, one more...

- Pisi should *really* have some orphan removal capabilities. The best solution to this, at least for now, would probably be a FreeBSD pkg_rmleaves style way of listing all installed packages that are not dependencies of something else ("leaves"). So the GUI could have a "Show Orphan Packages" option, and pisi on the CLI could have an ll (list-leaves) or lo (list-orphans) option...
waf
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »

- A GUI for changing permissions and ownership (chmod and chown)

- SAGE (http://www.sagemath.org/) and Geogebra (http://www.geogebra.org/cms/)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:18:31 AM by waf » Logged
rusev_ivo
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 13:12:20 PM »

- KDE3 again: get rid of JuK in the default install, AmaroK beats it at everything. Tongue

I do not agree. JuK seems so much easier for use and it's not as buggy as Amarok.  Playing music via Amarok causes my system to freeze sometimes.

Why don't they make an install dvd instead of cd? They would be able to put many applications on a dvd.
MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 13:40:07 PM »

- The IBM - Lotus Office Suit would be nice to see in the repos, if not as standard.
- Changed behaviour of the /etc/conf.d/local.start (Think I asked for this once before).
- Something similar to EndNote for Windows that works with OOoo or Lotus (if it will be available in the repos).
- Another color on the splash-screen Grin

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
thecdn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 16:22:48 PM »

For pisi - something similar to synaptics "New in Repository" status. As it is I know of no way to determine when something new is added to the repositories other than to manually go through the entire list of available programs. Am I missing something?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 18:06:36 PM »

Good suggestions!  (edited to add, though, for me, the Package Manager starts in 2 seconds.  So no complaints here! )

Include wvdial, which is a command line ppp dialer tool.  I sometimes have problems with analog modems using KPPP as it doesn't have an auto-detect, though it does have a "query to modem", though the outputs don't get put in the modem commands page that I'm aware of.  Wvdial auto detects and set up is fairly easy.  Maybe include gnome-ppp GUI that uses wvdial as its dial up tool.

Or, with Pardus Network-Manager, make it work for us folks using dial up,   Oddly and nicely enough, it has modum module ACM0 for my particular modem, which even ubuntu doesn't include, only /dev/modem/, dev/tty0, dev/tty1, etc, so I was happy to see the ACM0 selection for setting up a connection.
With Pardus Network-Manager, I can get it to dial up, but it fails to do the handshake and all with the ISP.  The help button in Network Manager isn't much help and needs a bit of updating, as the instructions don't match what is in the GUI selections.   Some tips included if one's modem doesn't work would be much appreciated (such as editing some file, maybe, such as ppp options?)
The GUI in any LINUX network-manager doesn't have the flexibility for dial up as KPPP offers with the different modem types: ttyUSB0, etc.  One of the first things a newbie does is use the internet.  Make this easier for folks with dial up.  I know, we're a dying breed.   Tongue

More animal characature icons.  I really like the PiSi cat!

Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 17:07:58 PM by Lisa » Logged
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »

I do not agree. JuK seems so much easier for use and it's not as buggy as Amarok.  Playing music via Amarok causes my system to freeze sometimes.

Just FWIW: when that happens, chances are the kernel is still responsive. Hold down the alt and sysctl keys and type "reisub" to force a clean reboot.

(However, if the system freeze is accompanied by blinking capslock and numlock lights, report it on the LKML! Stuff in user space should *never* cause a kernel panic!)

Why don't they make an install dvd instead of cd? They would be able to put many applications on a dvd.

Please no! Not all of us have DVD burners, you know!
Sertse
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

A radical thought; but would it be possible to change to VLC + plugin from Mplayer etc?

Since VLC is also qt now, theming isn't much of a problem. And it might also save duplication  mplayer+gnome-mplayer+kmplayer+plugins.
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »

- Something similar to EndNote for Windows that works with OOoo or Lotus (if it will be available in the repos).

Try the firefox extension 'Zotero' http://www.zotero.org/
Or Jabref (in the contrib repository)

For freedom...
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 14:31:01 PM »

Some more wishes should come soon from the french community.
Then we will need a volonteer to sum up all the suggestions in a nice bug report.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
mayfield

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »

I agree with having disk encryption at boot time - this is the reason I sadly left Pardus for Ubuntu - but very much want to return.  Sad

Also. please keep to KDE and don't get side-tracked down the Gnome road - as that is leading deeper and deeper into M/S territory with its increasing dependency on Mono/C# and Gnome's inevitable destruction or takeover.

IMHO the best thing about Gnome is the overall sharpness of its fonts, has KDE (3 or 4) caught up here yet by default or is it possible by special tweaking?

Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 17:49:01 PM »

- Likewise for pisi: if possible (this would be asking a lot), give pisi the ability to resume incomplete transactions like Debian's APT.
Could you be more specific? What can and what cannot be resumed?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 19:06:40 PM »

I saw this from Gullible Jones a while back and should have mentioned my experience, with both 2008.1 and 2008.2 Pardus versions. 

In PiSI package manager, if you enable cache (I leave it at 0mb - default) resuming of a partially downloaded package does work.  So say you only have 27mg of a 43mb file, you get disconnected or want to just disconnect the connection to go do something for a while,  if you restart the update, it will resume where it left off (as you will notice in the progress bar).

Maybe I misunderstood Gullible Jones, point, but for me, partial packages will be resumed if you enable cache in PiSi preferences.
Lisa Marie
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: