Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:41:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus 2009
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009  (Read 11194 times)
berkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »

Improve pisi:

1. Use nicer output for pisi ls - similar to gentoo's eix or arch's yaourt:
Code:
repo/package-name  version  (installed version)
  - Description
Use colors, e.g. installed version is green if ok or yellow if upgrade is available.

2. Do not depend on order of repositories, but use versions instead to determine if upgrade is needed. Having to reshuffle repos to get upgrades from test didn't look like an intuitive operation.

3. Do not show me the same package from different repos twice (listing same packages from pardus-2008.2 and pardus-test doesn't give any advantage).

4. Do not stall graphical pisi frontend for 3 seconds every time I select a package for install or uninstall. Of course, it needs to calculate dependencies, but there is multithreaded programming and other technologies developed. When I uninstalled several pkgs using graphical frontend it was mostly a blind shooting - click several
  • and wait some time till they all get unchecked.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »

I agree with all of these suggestions, good points.
Especially the delay upon checking or unchecking packages is sometimes quite annoying

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
berkus

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »

One more thing: developers, developers, developers.

I understand that Pardus is mainly a user distro, but having many development tools avaliable is crucial. Latest svn, bzr, git, waf, kdevelop4, llvm (I was surprised, but pardus has llvm in repos, yay!), gcc, ruby, rubygems, python 2.6, and many more things needed for developers are a good thing - it makes developing on the system easier and attracts more people who can develop more good software and actually install it on the system.

----

I like the systematic approach of Pardus developers - a clear release roadmap is great to have.

Another thing I want to see easier is making your own pisi packages. Some packages are available as binary only and search in source repository doesn't find them - makes us users unable to modify and try out different versions (sometimes a simple version bump is enough, when you have the source pspec.xml file) - I would like to see developers committing their build recipes to pardus svn, either main or some contrib sources repo - didn't find this one yet, does it exist? We should be able to quickly find a source recipe for any binary package in the added repos. IDEA: add some chainlink from the binary repos to source repos, so you don't even have to add source repos manually.

I want to be able to create new recipe as easy as possible.
Verbose XML format is good, but it's tedious to write (and PisiYap failed to work for me, for reasons unknown it just doesn't generate any files).
I like GoboLinux recipes - they are declarative, don't require almost any programming for 99,99% of common cases - so recipes for new packages end up being one or two lines - URL of source package and type of build system to use - and this is extremely important when you want to gain some new packages. While Pardus is far from this Zen style recipes, using a less complex format might be good, for example adding support for YAML instead of XML should be relatively easy and remain compatible with old XML based packages, while allowing to write new pspec files in a simple human-friendly format.
rocky2

www.danceable.nl

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 15:23:11 PM »

And do not make KDE4 as default desktop environment!!! PLEASE! Leave it on KDE3! Smiley))

I absolutely agree, please stay with KDE3!!

Yes ! I absolutely agree, please stay with KDE3 !!  Angry
bubbel
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 15:56:52 PM »

Hello together,

look please in this Thread

You can stay with KDE3, if you work further with Pardus 2008.2  Wink

Greetings
bubbel
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: