Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 16:31:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [Solved] Update hangs while downloading Kernel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Solved] Update hangs while downloading Kernel  (Read 1090 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 21:21:38 PM »

Hi,

Pardus 2008.1
dial-up

scenerio:  I have two users, one with administrative rights, one without.   I use admin. session to do any downloads through PiSi. 

Today again I tried to do some updates through PiSi after fetching the latest, which totals 98 as of this week.

I opened PiSi package manager, chose/ticked the 2 in Base System: Baselayout and libssh2, which roughly was 90k total and PiSi said it would need to install 37 additional dependencies, total 46mb.  I ticked continue and it asked for super user password and I typed in the admin password.  It said it would take roughly over 3 hours, which was fine for me, as my dial up will let me stay connected for that length of time, but not over 4 hours.  Anyway, after an hour or more passed, I checked on the status to make sure my ISP didn't cut me off, and it had not, but PiSi had hung at:
Operation: kernel downloading
17.12mb/46.37mb
2:04:46

I checked /var/cache/pisi/packages
and it showed the latest kernel in a zip file, total size 17.1mb

I think the kernel size in total is 46mb package.

During this stall, I checked to make sure I could surf and opened FF and was able to navigate to web pages.   

This is the second time this has happened.  I am wondering, should I have typed in the root password in PiSi to retrieve the updates.  As I mentioned, I used my administrative user's password, which was one of the choices for PiSi. 

Just a bit confused.  If this was the first time this happened, I would suspect that the download site was temporarily out of reach.  Anyone else have the kernel download stall out?

Regards,
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 17:58:11 PM by Mhmrcs » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 21:30:32 PM »

Hi again,

Maybe I need to do some of the suggestions here:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2358.0

I need to learn how to use PiSi through the command line, real bad!

Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 21:42:12 PM »

My advice:
Start the update process again and it will show your kernel update again, but it will not download the package again.
It will download the rest of the packages, and when everything has been downloaden. it will start installing the packages.
This is my experience until now.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 21:42:43 PM »

Hi Lisa,

I think it's your internet connection that causes trouble. It needs only a micro-cut to screw the update process.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 21:49:55 PM »

Hi atolboo,

Yes, I will try that.  I will let you know that when I restarted the download process again after redialing, I checked /var/cache/pisi/packages but it showed the kernel zip file wasn't at 17.1 mb, but back to a low k size as it was getting it from the beginning again.

Hi PhiX, yes, could be.  Today's ISP's have some many intrusive anti-spam, anti-virus anti-this that built into their servers that you wonder if certain sites are black listed. 

But, I've never had this happen when dowloading a single PiSi application, only with these updates. 

We'll try again and thanks for the good advice!

I will try late this evening when the servers aren't so busy here. 

Lisa Marie

Edited to add: success!
I will also add that I have been needing to fiddle/tinker  with KPPP dial up utility more so than I have had to in the past.  I am now retrieving the download after editing the modem, by using cr/lf instead of cr, and also unticking "use lock file", whatever that means.  It seems to make my modem faster for some reason.  In the past (six months ago) I have just used the default settings for the most part with no problems.   

I am also using my second ISP service that I am giving a trial run with for two months. 

oh, I also decided to do the retrievel as root instead of as super user, just in case it makes a difference, but it probably doesn't.  It probably had more to do with my ISP as well as  my KPPP settings. 

Lisa, the happy camper

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:14:02 AM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 15:04:46 PM »

I can confirm that it was necessary to be root to download these system updates.

If you will notice, while PiSi is fetching, when it gets the entire file of whatever system application, it will say
downloading...
configuring...
installing...

and where it stalled was it just after it finished fetching the kernel file, which was about 17.1 mb in size, and since it didn't have root authorization, it failed to configure and install.  Makes sense.

So, I would concur that to install system updates, one needs to use root (su) and not use administrative user (super user)  Correct?  That's how it is in my system, anyway.

Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: