Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:19:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Interested in exactly how to change inline /home to separate /home
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interested in exactly how to change inline /home to separate /home  (Read 1206 times)
rhomp2002

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 19:39:00 PM »

I added a 500 GB hard drive and would like to separate my /home files to a separate location so that when I upgrade to the new Pardus, I can do this and not lose what I have saved.  Not exactly sure what the best way to do this is.  I would like to see it set out step by step so I don't screw it up.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 19:48:51 PM »

Hi rhomp2002,

One way to achieve this goal is to create another user and to copy everything from your old /home to your new one.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Ch00k
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 21:11:42 PM »

I'm doing it like this: before reinstallation login as root and rename /home/<username_dir> to something like /home/old. Reboot, reinstall the system and copy everything from /home/old to new user's home.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 23:46:58 PM »

I found that the easiest way was to partition the drive.
On one partition you install the system, on another one the /home directories. A third one can be for documents for instance
Like this, if you reinstall the system, your home files will not be touched, since they are not on the same partition.
To do this, use Gparted, but the disks must not be active when you partition, otherwise Gparted cannot work.
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »

Simply resize your current partition, and create another, copy all files to your new partition, then reinstall on the other partition.

frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 13:01:25 PM »

The best way to do this without having to reinstall is the following: Copy your home folder to the new drive, delete the old home folder from your old partition and create a symlink instead pointing to where you copied your files (just drag and drop your copy of your home folder back to /home and select something like "link here" (I don't know exactly what it is called, because my Pardus runs in German and I would select "hiermit verknüpfen" which should be something like "link here" in English).

Thus, you can use the same home folder with any new distribution, after installing all you have to do is to delete the empty home folder and replace it with the symlink.

EDIT:

I just saw you said "step by step" so probably you don't know enough about Linux yet to understand what I suggested. Here is the way to do it:

- install the new harddrive into the computer (must be turned OFF, but you'll probably know this... just to make sure)
- boot Pardus
- Select the partition editor from the system menu, run as root (with administrator password)
- chose your new harddrive and create a new partition, format as ext3 or reiserfs (I prefer reiserfs because it's faster, but you cannot undelete as easily as with ext3. So if you are a newbie probably ext3 is your best choise)
- wait for the partition to be formated and reboot, you will find the partition in /mnt, most likely it will be /mnt/sdb1
- open 2 konqueror windows (click your home icon), navigate one window to /home and the other to /mnt/sdb1
- let's assume your user is called myname, so drag and drop the myname folder from the /home window to the /mnt/sdb1 window and select "move here"
- when moving is finished, drag and drop the myname folder from /mnt/sdb1 back to /home and select "link here"
- that's it! A good idea to prevent data loss (in case you screw up something or I overlooked anything) is to make a copy of your folder first in order to be save. Just burn your myname folder to a DVD rw or copy to a stick before moving it. To keep the rights, it's a good idea to make a tar.gz file of your folder before copying to any media not Linux exclusive (like usb sticks or Windows readable DVDs). To do so, just right click your folder and select something like "pack as myname.tar.gz" ("komprimieren" on my German system). Then copy the myname.tar.gz file to any storage media. If anything goes wrong, you can copy it back an unpack it to get your folder back.

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 13:29:51 PM by frisil » Logged

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: