Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:15:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [solved] Package Manager - Authentication Required - super user or root?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Package Manager - Authentication Required - super user or root?  (Read 1837 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 18:16:24 PM »

I am a bit confused as to how to install packages through PiSi, whether to use super user password or root password?

For example, if I click on a package in PiSi and click "install package(s), it will tell me I have "x" amount of  packages or package to install...do I want to continue?"  I select, continue.  Then it brings up an Authentication Required pop up.  "Authentication as Super user is required..."

It has this same pop up for Kernel updates as well. 

In the pop up, I can click on a drop down menu in User: and have the option to select "root".

I found out it does matter with kernel updates as you need to use "root" or it will not install, at least it didn't for me in the last kernel update from 16 to 19.  So, how do you know which authentication password to use.  Lately, I have been selecting root for all updates, but I wonder if this is right to do.

Sorry, as I am coming from the world of Ubuntu that has no root, but only su.  I need some clarification on this. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 21:06:20 PM by Lisa » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 19:05:13 PM »

Hello Lisa,

If you gave your username administrator privileges,  you don't have to provide any password in order to install, remove or update packages with Package Manager. (Have you the kitty icon on your system tray ?)

If you try to install, remove or update packages from the command line, you can either use the sudo command and provide your user password, or use the su - command and provide the administrator password.

You shouldn't have all these pop-ups if you don't want them. Could you show us a screenshot of one of them ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 19:08:36 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 19:54:50 PM »

To install packages using Package Manager you must be Administrator, "root" is unessessary in this respect.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 20:57:34 PM »

Hi PhiX and Mhmrcs,

That was what I was wondering, does it matter.  The small drop down menu allows for both in the PiSi GUI. 

It took me a half hour to figure out how to resize the screenshots, though they probably aren't needed now for reference, but, since I spent that time working on it  Grin  I just know they'll be too tiny to read.  Here goes...

This is what I wrote before I resized the images:
"I've never messed with System>User Manager as I don't mind typing in passwords, and prefer to instead of it being automated.

So I'm not messing up the system using either, or?  At first I was just typing in the Super User password, but have now started using root passoword.  I could edit the User Manager actions for this user (ID 1000) that already has administrative rights when I first created it during installation.  Should I give it more rights?  I mentioned before I also have a non-administrative user, which sessions I use for surfing, multimedia stuff, and office stuff.

* b.png (206.84 KB, 303x242 - viewed 136 times.)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 21:50:07 PM »

In the password dialog window, you have to check "Do not ask for password" "Remember authorization" and "Always".

Just to make things clear, on Linux :
root = administrator = super user
user = simple user. He can be granted some administrative rights by the administrator.

As I understand, you use two different usernames for yourself. I don't see the need for that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 22:15:57 PM by PhiX » Logged

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 22:09:24 PM »

Look here for an example.
I hope this is what Phix means?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 22:14:40 PM »

Yes, this is what I mean. Thanks atolboo.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 01:30:51 AM »

Oh, I get it!  Shocked

Thanks PhiX and atolboo!  I was still in a Windows mindset about admin, users with admin rights, and users with no rights.  The way I was doing it, made no sense after I realized switching between two users for different reasons was unecessary.  So, what I did was put the stuff I had in my non-admin user into my admin user home folder and then deleted the user, so now I have just one log in choice.  And, per operation, I see that Pardus asks if you want to remember the authentication settings for the processes for the user with admin rights.  That is handy/helpful!  Thanks again, fellas for the time you took to explain it to me.  I was really confused. 

Regards,
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 17:35:17 PM »

I found out it does matter with kernel updates as you need to use "root" or it will not install, at least it didn't for me in the last kernel update from 16 to 19.  So, how do you know which authentication password to use.  Lately, I have been selecting root for all updates, but I wonder if this is right to do.

Wrong, Lisa.   Roll Eyes

So, I recently did a reinstall of Pardus 2008.1, and this time I set it up with one user that has administrative rights during the install, without a second user with no admin. rights. 

I've done two kernel updates so far, both times using the password for the user with admin. rights, not root password, and the kernel installs (doesn't hang like it did before in the package manager update gui).  Just glad all is smooth and rosey-posey Grin

Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: