Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 18:02:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  is there a way install packages from a disk, like aptoncd?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: is there a way install packages from a disk, like aptoncd?  (Read 2371 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:39:19 AM »

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way I could backup the packages that I have downloaded/updated and installed in case I need them again without having to do it all over again via the telephone line.  I've used aptoncd and then used the native package manager to retrieve the packages from the disk (iso image) created by aptoncd utility.  This saved me a lot of time.  Could I manually install aptoncd?  Will PiSi search a disk for packages?  There is a setting "use hardware disk for downloaded software" in PiSi, but still not sure what it is for?

No hurry on the answer for this, as it is late  - tomorrow is another day.   Cheesy

Sleep well.zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lisa Marie
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:01:11 AM »

I don't see how this couldn't work, if you have a CD or DVD repository with its own pisi-index.xml file.
I'm sure you can add a repositiry such as :
Code:
pisi ar cd-pardus-2008.1 /media/sr0/pisi-index.xml.bz2

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »

You could just go to the websites of the download repositories and download individual .pisi files, whihc you can backup.

trixon
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 18:33:03 PM »

Take a look in /var/cache/pisi/packages
In Package manager's settings you can enable/disable/clear the pisi cache.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 19:49:50 PM »

You could just go to the websites of the download repositories and download individual .pisi files, whihc you can backup.

In that case, there would be no dependency treatment. Pisi needs pisi-index.xml to do the dependency check.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:11:39 AM »

Thanks for the replies and information.  I finally ticked 'use hard disk cache for downloaded software", so at least I have it saved in var/cache area.  I'll work on this at another time, (I've been away due to the holiday) to see if I can install it via a disk.  It would come in handy, say, if one wanted to install Pardus plus the updates on another computer within a short period of time without having to re-download them.

Thanks again,
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 20:55:49 PM »

Just tinkering here.  Today,  I didn't have Pisi's cache enabled, while downloading the Base Layout packages and the Open Office updates, I was cut off from the internet.  Since the update doesn't resume upon reconnection, and any partial or whole downloads disappears in the var/cache/pisi/packages upon clicking 'cancel', I decided to copy all of the packages that had been downloaded plus the partial oo package, and copied them to my desktop.  Then hit, 'cancel' in 'upgrading packages'.  As I expected, all packages disappeared from the package folder.  So, I opened 'File Manager Super User Mode' and moved all of the packages from my desktop back to the var cache pisi package folder and reselected the packages I was updating, connected to the internet, and the upgrades began where they had left off.  So , this tells me I could easily make a backup off all packages I upgrade and save them to a r/w disk and do the same.  If I have to reinstall I can copy them back to the pisi package folder.  At least, I think so.

And yes, having cache enabled in Pisi allows any partial or whole downloaded packages to be resumed, instead of starting all over from the beginning.   Finding this out is a big time saver for me.

Lisa Marie

Update.  I copied all of the current updates for Pardus 2008.1 onto a r/w disk, and then after reinstalling Pardus, I updated the repository for PiSi, then inserted the disk, and selected the updates and they were installed!  You can also open the disk, right click on each file and there is a selection, "open with Pisi" or maybe it is, "install with PiSi" and it will install it, as long as it is in the current updates you have listed in PiSi after refreshing the repositories.  Easy Peasey!  Just had to prove to myself that it could be done.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 21:01:08 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 20:21:20 PM »

an update to this.

Recently I made a backup of all of my packages in /var/cache/pisi/packages onto a r/w disk as I needed to re-install Pardus 2009. 

I did try PhIX's suggested, but I didn't understand how to create a cd repository.  My disk was called, packages, and the path to it was /media/packages. I may try to work on this later for it would be so handy.

What I did do is as root, opened up dolphin, and then copied all packages to /var/cache/pisi/packages. closed dolphin.

Then I started pisi via the command line and did the initial su pisi up, and it said it had the base layout and some other dependencies to install, and wow, it went fast as many of the necessary packages were already cached, and if pisi required a newer version than what I had copied from the disk, pisi would retrieve it instead of using the version I had.  So, it was very handy.   Since I use dial up, this made a big difference for me.

I forgot to add, that I have to keep an internet connection open while doing the updates from the manually cached packages.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 20:25:11 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: