Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:54:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  As seen on the internet
| | |-+  Adıyaman University to use GNU/Linux
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adıyaman University to use GNU/Linux  (Read 1658 times)
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2008, 13:37:22 PM »

Momentum is gathering! Pardus is mentioned on EU website osor.eu

http://www.osor.eu/news/tr-ad131yaman-university-to-use-gnu-linux

TR: Adıyaman University to use GNU/Linux

by a correspondent — last modified Nov 18, 2008 10:41 PM — filed under: [GL] Turkey, [T] Deployments and Migrations

Adıyaman University in the city of Adıyaman, one of the newest universities in Turkey, is migrating to Pardus GNU/Linux for all of its administrative and laboratory computers.
More than a hundred computers have already been equipped with the Turkish Pardus GNU/Linux distribution. The first group using it is the university administration. The number of PCs running the open source system will quadruple in the first half of 2009 when all student laboratories will be migrated.

The open source operating system will be installed on all new PCs, explains Bülent Şener, responsible for the migration project. "We are now planning the migration from Microsoft Windows to GNU/Linux for all laboratory computers." He says the university expects the migration will decrease IT administration costs and at the same time make management of the IT infrastructure easier.

According to Şener, the current economic crisis is making the university's more determined to migrate to open source systems. "Why would we spend taxpayers money on poorly managed proprietary software if we can just as easy use Pardus, our own Turkish GNU/Linux distribution?"

The migration is not without problems. Several of the web sites used by the university administrators are not W3C compliant, says Şener, which sometimes results in the sites and web services not working correctly in the open source web browser Firefox. "The organisations offering these services have made themselves dependent on a particular technology or operating system, unintentionally blocking other users."

The administrators also use a number of applications that require Microsoft Windows, such as technical design software and enterprise resource systems (ERP).

Şener says that university programmers have begun writing their own ERP applications which will run independent of the underlying operating system. In the first half of 2009, the university's ERP system will be migrated to open source alternatives. "I expect that by then, many of the migration issues will have been solved." The university is also planning to distribute its student affairs applications as open source, so other universities can benefit.

AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 18:49:20 PM »

Was Pardus chosen above other distros because it is Turkish in origin? I'm thinking along the lines of national pride as well as Turkish being the default language. I've noticed other nations developing their own, often Ubuntu based, distros.

This isn't a criticism. Perhaps this is one way linux will develope in the future.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 19:26:50 PM »

On the same website, it says part of the turkish ministry of defense is using Pardus.

http://www.osor.eu/news/tr-ministry-of-defense-to-switch-to-pardus-gnu/?searchterm=None

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 19:54:35 PM »

Was Pardus chosen above other distros because it is Turkish in origin? I'm thinking along the lines of national pride as well as Turkish being the default language. I've noticed other nations developing their own, often Ubuntu based, distros.

This isn't a criticism. Perhaps this is one way linux will develope in the future.

Alan
Pardus is a Turkish State subsidised, initiated and developed distro. All Turkish public sectors will use it soon. It's a national project. Not just some Turkish distro  Cheesy
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 21:10:01 PM »

@ Alan, since the Turkish governemnt essentially pay the salaries of the people working on Pardus they're probably encouraging widespread usage of the distro within Turkey at least. Language-orientated distros are catching on... Asianux, Kiwi Linux etc. I think this is a form of alienation - I have nothing against people developing the interface of a distro to properly experience the software in their own language but isolating others based on language is a bit... low?

AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 23:10:47 PM »

@ PhiX
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I work for the Ministry of Defence here in the UK. IT services are contracted out. The contractor supplies Microsoft products. The contract was recently renewed for the next 5 years. I haven't a clue if any IT companies who tendered for the contract offered UNIX or Linux alternatives.

@ azra
The fact that Pardus is a national project gives me confidence to continue using it. Not much chance of it fading away through lack of interest or users.

@ Mhmrcs
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of Kiwi- a few modifications to an already existing distro. Whereas Pardus is a distro in it's own right, not just a Turkish Ubuntu.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »

@ azra
The fact that Pardus is a national project gives me confidence to continue using it. Not much chance of it fading away through lack of interest or users.

Hi Alan

I also live in the UK, and I wish that public administrations would use GNU/Linux a bit more... UK PLC is very corporate-minded and pretty much in bed with MS. There has been some vague debate at the House of Commons, but nothing happened because MPs don't get the concept of proprietary software risk. As a matter of comparison the French "Assemblée Nationale" uses Ubuntu! If the French can do it, why not the British?

Just imagine the carnage for your Ministry if MS goes under, like many other BIG names in the US? MS can't go under? Say that to the employees of Lehman, Citibank, Ford, GM, etc.........

The UK has to be the worst GNU-Linux promoter in Europe and this is a huge risk in my view.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:14:29 AM by azra » Logged
Mhmrcs
Global Moderator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »

I currently under the British education system... I know local univerisities employ Linux in the advanced years of their study, but they have few applications for that platform etc.
Next year, university, doing Highers at the moment, the reason we don't use Linux, isn't a matter of security, or availability of software tailored to our "needs" (Gambas/Firefox/OpenOffice), it isn't a matter of cost, it isn't a matter of support. "We're used to it" is the answer I recieved when I asked the Head Technician.
Despite its immaturity, there is now a piece of paper pinned high on a wall in a computing class that reads, "</Windows>"...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: