Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:40:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  THE 3 DESKTOPS IN package manager/gnome,kde, & free desk
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE 3 DESKTOPS IN package manager/gnome,kde, & free desk  (Read 1297 times)
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »

Can someone explain the differences in the 3 desktops? are they different in visuals or the tool apps. that they carry? Can i combine packages from each one and install? is it recomended to install packages from 1 only ?
benvdh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »

Hey,

Probably the first thing I have to mention is that the free desktop part isn't really a desktop. It are just some libraries for the X server (X server is the server that is used to display desktops and make sure your mouse and keyboard input devices work with the Graphical User Interface).

That leaves us with 2 desktops. KDE and GNOME, Both are not just desktops, they are desktop environments. The difference is that a desktop is just a graphical userinterface and not a lot of extra applications. A desktop environment, however also comes with a lot of extra applications.

The major difference between GNOME and KDE are probably the GUI Toolkits that are used (Application Programming Interfaces used to build Graphical User Interfaces). KDE uses QT and GNOME uses GTK+. Also the programming languages used for both are different:
KDE is written in C++ and Gnome in C.

On the non technical side both also have different approaches when it comes to usability. KDE acts a bit like a windows environment (but it is a lot more powerful then a windows environment) and gnome has kind of it's own philosophy about usability. They just hide as much Advanced options as possible and create seperate applications for different tasks. In KDE most parts are more integrated with each other. So you will be able to display pdf's in konqueror, but not in nautilus (Gnome file manager).

Combinations of both desktops are possible, although I would not recommend it, since I had some issues with that in the past. But that was with a different distribution. Probably pardus won't have these issues. What you can always do is combine the best of both worlds, use the desktop environment you like most and then install (if you have any) the applications from the other one if you like those better then the ones you already have.

Regards,

Ben
DANHO
Pardus Master

Pardus SF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 21:13:50 PM »

THANKS BEN, for explaining the 3 different desktops in package manager. i now have a better understanding and less "brain teasing" when it comes to upgrading and installing packages with the great TASMA  [better and less complicated than [suse's YAST].      THANKS AGAIN BIG BEN,,,,,,,,,DANHO
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: