Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:56:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  easy way to switch between kde3 and kde4?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: easy way to switch between kde3 and kde4?  (Read 2895 times)
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »

Hi,
I can use control+alt+f1 => root => service kdebase stop; service kdebase4-workspace start (or "on" and "off" instead of "start" and "stop" to change defaults) but this is a little bit too complicated for users, always having to use a root console.

Is there a more easy way? Like a boot menu entry specifying which kdebase to start? Or a way to select from the login screen, best would be different user defaults, e.g. one user logs in and kde4 starts automatically, another user automatically gets kde3. Any idea how to set this up?

My problem is: two people use this computer, one wants kde4 for "better usability" (+ and - when selecting files), the other kde3 for "more options and different workspace wallpapers".

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
Sertse
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 03:43:19 AM »

hello frisil

Easiest way is to change your kdm login theme to one that support changing desktop environments. The default Pardus login theme are some reason hides this.

You need to download "kdmtheme" first. It is in the repo. Now go to TASMA - Appearance & Themes - "KDM Tema Yoneticisi". Don't worry, the program is in English. Follow the instructions there.

Many KDM themes can be found at kde-look,org . Many of those have the change session option that allows you to choose whether to login as KDE 3/4 or even Gnome or Xfce is you got that..

Hope this helps.

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

This won't do the trick, because kdm is part of KDE. That means that if kdm is started, then KDE (3 or 4) is started.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
gyan000
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 21:05:42 PM »

With kdm@kde4, to add a KDE 3 session to the menu "session type" in kdm:

sudo cp /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /usr/kde/4/share/apps/kdm/sessions/

(And you can edit the line "name", of copied kde.desktop, from KDE to KDE 3)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 21:20:03 PM by gyan000 » Logged

---
gyan000 - plus-qu'en-retard
frisil
Pardus fellow craft

Linux rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 03:12:11 AM »

With kdm@kde4, to add a KDE 3 session to the menu "session type" in kdm:

sudo cp /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop /usr/kde/4/share/apps/kdm/sessions/

(And you can edit the line "name", of copied kde.desktop, from KDE to KDE 3)

This KIND OF works, but now kde3 runs with the kde4 base (I think) and it both broke the start menu and Tasma for the user that logged into kde3 PERMANENTLY!  Angry This user is not shown any Tasma modules anymore, the left hand column remains empty and thus the user cannot configure kde3 anymore, not even when switching back to kdebase!  Angry Angry

Please tell me how to fix this! Re-installing Tasma is not an option, as it is in the userfiles, but I don't know where... For other users who didn't log into kde3 from kde4's kdm, Tasma still works...

The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. (Lovecraft)
gyan000
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 21:28:29 PM »

Ah, sorry, but i don't have those bugs.
At home kdebase4_workspace is launched and two users of my PC launch there KDE3 session without any problem while i launch my KDE 4 sesssion.

If my proposition wasn't work i won't ever write it.

Perhaps you have a problem with your installation, since you can't launch a simple kdesu konqueror ?

For your kde3 users, in their home directories i think you can delete:
.kde4
.config
.dmrc

Check if .kde link to .kde3.5

Relaunch the kdm@KDE3 and login.

If problem persist, i don't know where is the problem.

---
gyan000 - plus-qu'en-retard
bulaka

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 22:31:15 PM »

I have the same problem. I have a Pardus2008.1 installation with all updates and (almost) all kde4 packages installed. When I started kde4 with service kdebase4-workspace start, kde4 starts but,

1) All Pardus login and menu stuff is lost
2) Tasma has lost its modules for EVER (even when I fall back to kde3)

Is there a pardus kde3-kde4 migration package that could fix all these with one simple command-line?
If not what is the best way to include kde3 as an option in Pardus login and regain Tasma functionality?
Please if someone knows these help.

Thx.
bulaka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 23:26:19 PM »

In case anybody has the same problem (incomplete functionality for tasma and menu in KDE3 after running KDE4), I got an answer from the pardus-users@pardus.org.tr list and it worked nicely:

>2009/2/13 İşbaran Akçayır:
>
>Run kbuildsycoca in kde3 to fix tasma and other modules
>

KDE4 looks nice though, I hope it will be supported fully soon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: