Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:32:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Go-OO?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Go-OO?  (Read 1386 times)
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2008, 23:51:35 PM »

I read this today
http://www.linux.com/feature/154364
Anone tried it? I can't find it in the repositories?
Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 20:52:49 PM »

Just a heads-up: The link on linux.com sends you to the last page of a 3-page interview. It's kind of hard to tell that from the layout.

I've apparently tried go-OO without knowing it, since the version that came with Ubuntu 8.04 didn't have the database component. I remember being puzzled by that, since with OpenOffice it's always been all or nothing.

I don't recall installing any extra OOo components in Pardus, so I'm thinking that Pardus has the unadulterated Sun OpenOffice and some of the other distros around here have the Go-Go OO. This may explain why I've been getting a lot of "This file is corrupted. Do you want OpenOffice to try to repair it?" I was thinking that it was inconsistency in the way different distros (or Gnome vs. KDE) handle fonts, but it may be something else at a low level. I haven't really lost anything, but I do get more corrupt file messages than I ever did.

I know the Pardus developers don't have time to address this question, but it would be nice if one of them did  Smiley

The Novell developer being interviewed sounds like a bit of a bastard. Despite the words, I got the idea he'd love for Sun Microsystems to pick up its marbles and go home.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 21:50:10 PM »

Hum, I thought the whole point of FOSS was to have better compatibility, and you report problems... Not good!
Do you think it's an issue with OO or with Go-OO?
Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:13:31 AM »

Azra, unfortunately I have no idea what the trouble is. I have three computers that I use regularly, and I sometimes exchange files through a Windows 2003 server. (We have one of those in our basement. My wife does most of her work on a Neoware thin client and Windows Terminal Services.) So it could be a problem with one of the OpenOffice installations that I use regularly (two Parduses and three Ubuntus, one of which also is a Kubuntu), or, like I said, it could be the way font information is handled; that might be different in KDE from Gnome. There are a lot of variables, and it would be really difficult to narrow it down.

But I do know I've had more file corruption this year, with OpenOffice, than I've had in 16 years of WordPerfect, for instance. My wife and I keep up "the big to-do list" in WordPerfect now, she on Windows and me in 6.2 in DOSEMU, and it's working out better.

It may be something about the .odt format itself (Calc workbooks seem pretty stable), but I've never heard very many complaints about data loss or big problems in .odt, so more likely it's something going on here. I wish I could be more help.

I agree that FOSS at its best works for better compatibility. But OpenOffice has been a side project for Sun for years, not their money maker, and it's obviously not anywhere near being Novell's main priority. And there's no guarantee that the developers on either side have the time to talk to each other. (And from that guy's attitude in the interview, a lot of people at Sun wouldn't want to talk to him about anything.) There are volunteer developers who have helped with OOo, but they can't carry the load by themselves.

Makes a fellow kind of wish that the government agency in Ankara that is sponsoring Pardus would hire a few more programmers and take on OOo. Not that I have any desire to spend Turkish taxpayers' hard-earned money, but it sure would be nice....  Smiley
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 13:44:35 PM »

I read this today
http://www.linux.com/feature/154364
Anone tried it? I can't find it in the repositories?

I was trying to test compile it from source and was well underway, but had to start again because one has to specify a distro in the ./configure part (only Pardus 2007 and Pardus 2008 are recognised as entries but I am glad Pardus is listed anyway).
Then it started downlaoding all sorts of component tar files (an Office package remains a big one), but in the final sudo make part it got stuck missing certain Perl modules. I found out that I had to install the Perl-Archive-zip pisi, but did not come to that point because my laptop ran out of memory.

Maybe I will give it another try.

I feel Pardus could seriously consider also using the Go-oo fork of OpenOffice rather then the Sun official Ooo. Especially in the spreadsheets section there have been a couple of issues that atolboo pointed out in other topics in this forum earlier.

Since Ubuntu and Debian as well as Mandriva all use Go-oo instead of the official Ooo a large community apparently is using this fork. So IMO it cannot be a bad option otherwise it would have been thrown out by the big ones in distro-land....

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
bubbel
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 14:53:07 PM »

Hello,

I wrote a package wish for it to the Bug-Team  Wink

Greetings
bubbel

Edit: And here the answer from developer "Fatih":

------- Comment #1 From Fatih Aşıcı 2009-10-26 15:58:59 (-) [reply] -------
We already use those archives in order to package openoffice Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 15:03:26 PM by bubbel » Logged
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 15:43:14 PM »

My impression was that the OO in Pardus was based on the Go-OO tree. Multimedia in Impress works with gstreamer rather than the abominable JMF which is one of the advantages of Go-OO over the "official" OO.org tree.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: