Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:56:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  commands in the /etc/conf.d/local.start
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: commands in the /etc/conf.d/local.start  (Read 1824 times)
MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:30 PM »

Just a question about the local.start- file. Has anyone actually managed to start a script or a command at bootup by using the local.start?

This is my local.start:
Code:
#

# /etc/conf.d/local.start

# This is a good place to load any misc programs
# on startup ( use 1>&2 to hide output)

/etc/conf.d/lm_sensors start

echo "16:35 14:25 12:18 10:12 8:6 6:2" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls

But, when removing the splash, it just returns the message: No such file or directory.

The developers says that the local.start is run way up in the bootup- process, maybe even before some potentially needed modules is executed.

But if that is the fact, more people than just me should have noticed this.

EDIT: It might have something to do with the privileges of the directories and files (i e ~/cpufreq/phc_controls and ~/init.d/lm_sensors) but shouldn't the local.start have the privileges to execute any command included in the file?
If that is the problem, how do I give the local.start the privileges?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:56:26 PM by MitraMai » Logged

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 13:26:30 PM »

It might have something to do with the privileges of the directories and files (i e ~/cpufreq/phc_controls and ~/init.d/lm_sensors) but shouldn't the local.start have the privileges to execute any command included in the file?
If that is the problem, how do I give the local.start the privileges?

I don't know if it is the origin of the issue. Anyway, to grant execute privileges to a folder or a file, you can use the chmod command as follows :

Code:
su
chmod +x folder

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 15:20:14 PM »

@PhiX: That does not work since the /sys- folders change back to root- privileges after reboot, don't ask me why. But I have discovered the problem. The cpu- frequency modules load after the local.start, so the command nothing to echo to...

But maybe there is a way around this: Is it possible to run a script when the Desktop loads?

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 15:45:57 PM »

To start your script at KDE startup, put it in ~/.kde/Autostart/

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »

@PhiX: That does not work either. It executes some of the commands I have in a script, but not all.
I guess I'll just have to run the script after the Desktop has loaded until they change the behaviour of the local.start (I posted a wish about it in the wish- list).
But thanks for the help

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: