Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:49:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  opensuse 11.1
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: opensuse 11.1  (Read 2782 times)
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:38:10 AM »

I'm waiting for the upcoming linux mint x86_64 release so thought I'd try out the new opensuse 11.1 for kicks. I last tried out opensuse sometime early in the 9.x series and was unhappy with the desktop performance, everything felt sluggish and bloated compared to other KDE distros. This isn't a review or anything, just a rant.

Grabbed the KDE4 x86_64 livecd, ran a successful media test and went to install it... unfortunately after the boot process X wouldn't initialize. I was left with a blank screen, hitting CTRL-ALT-F1 got me into a console (that I couldn't see) so I hit alt-ctrl-del and rebooted. This time I tried to boot with failsafe and VESA but encountered the same problem. The next time I booted in textmode, logged in as root and had a look at the xorg.conf file to see what the problem was.

I've got zero idea what autodetection stuff Novell use but I decided to just strip out everything from the Monitor section except the identifier and let X do the detection. This got me into KDE...

Code:
Section "Monitor"
  Option       "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
  HorizSync    30-40
  Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
  ModelName    "Unknown"
  Option       "DPMS"
  VendorName   "Unknown"
  VertRefresh  50-75
  UseModes     "Modes[0]"
EndSection

I went through the install (the partition manager needs serious work) and rebooted, fixed X again and got a desktop. Lasted about 30 minutes before I formatted the partition. I went to post the problem on the opensuse forum just in case anyone else had the same trouble with their monitor (or the other things I encountered and had to fix) ... but couldn't register due to a server error. Fun.

This is completely biased by the way, a distro that came from anyone but Novell I'd probably be a lot more patient with. I just keep hearing wonderful things about suse from people and everytime I try it I come away frustrated with the experience.

Relevant hardware: Samtron 76E, Nvidia 8800GTX

[/rant]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:36:06 AM by lashni » Logged
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

Great review!
You should definitely speak to Techiemoe!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:04:47 PM by azra » Logged
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 13:05:25 PM »

Reviews are longer, have screenshots and generally consist of more than bitching about Novell being useless. :)

Reading that techiemoe website atm, some interesting stuff on there... only one downside so far which is he/she/it admitting to not liking Slackware much. Slack was my first linux distro and whenever I see that antiquated curses installer I get a slight tingle in the bad places.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 14:02:12 PM »

And, for some reason which I do not understand, he did not like Pardus 2007.2.... The review is abysmal.
Otherwise, great fun to read hi/her prose!
lashni
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 14:57:58 PM »

I've got no clue why he was saying glibc isn't installed by default... seems more likely the program he was using was looking for an older lib. That said, I'd like to see stuff like autoconf/automake/cmake and so on in the base system. No clue on that Hercules sound card, never heard of them before. His complaints about nvidia installation are somewhat moot these days. Pisi was a bit on the unstable side in 2007.x days, I've found it much improved lately... especially glad they've got rid of that search on keypress thing in the gui front-end.

Not that abysmal a review by the standards of his other postings. Smiley
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 17:47:35 PM »

This is good to know, as I was looking for another distro, one preferably a dedicated KDE distro and from what I've looked over at distrowatch, this was the one that came up.  I would have given Mandriva a try, but my husband said you have to buy a subscription for it.  I also thought of knoppix, but it seems to have gone by the wayside a bit.  I tried it about 4 years ago, the first Linux distro I ever tried, but I only played with the live disk.  The old computer we had at the time kept crashing, probably because of low RAM.  I may give Mepis another try again.   I probably should wait about a year or two before asking husband to download another KDE distro, as many of the distros or going through the transition period of implementing the new KDE 4 desktop, and hopefully in two years, KDE4 will be in its reliable and usability stage by then.  I won't use kubuntu again as it is just a hybrid of ubuntu gnome and kde and doesn't have the fine polish I'm looking for in a KDE desktop - like Pardus! Pardus shines!
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 19:46:10 PM »

I would have given Mandriva a try, but my husband said you have to buy a subscription for it. 

Hey Lisa

You do not have to buy a subscription to Mandriva in all cases: they do have a free cd version
http://mandriva.com/en/download/free
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 20:36:19 PM »

Thank you, azra!  I will send the link to husband.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 20:57:38 PM »

No worries  Wink
I tried Mandriva and really wanted to like it but did not work out as planned. I found it bloated and hard work.
The three most important things for me are wifi, graphic card and codecs literally out of the box. Mandriva did not meet two of the tests, so that did not stay long on the hd...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 17:24:14 PM »

This week I had the chance to try 11.1 for 64 bit, KDE4 desktop environment, as I have always wanted to try an OS made for this type processor, as well as wanting to see what KDE4 was like.  I didn't want to try KDE4 on Pardus as I want to keep Pardus in a pristine working shape that I am already pleased with.  I've never used openSUSE before, so I looked forward to trying it.  I got the Live disk version from my husband this week.  He said he couldn't get it to run on his older workstation.  I tried the live version out for a bit, then installed it.  Headache and high blood pressure followed as I could not easily get dial up to work (no ping ability).  Eventually I had to disable networkmanager.   Since I messed up something during this day long fiddling and tweaking, I ended up reinstalling.  The installer worked well enough, and I was able to keep my Pardus Grub menu, so that was good.  More problems, though, as I get no system start up sound only log out sound, which I read of someone else having this problem.  Apparently, at my default user group settings I was only a member of video, user, dialout.  I had to add user to audio, cdrom additional groups to get kaffeine to play an audio cd.  Another annoyance, audio cd's are not recognized after inserting into optical drive.   I've had a few programs crash, there is no cache of partial downloads for packagemanager, so if you get disconnected in the middle of a 100mb Open Office update, you lose the "whole enchilada," and have to start from beginning again.  I don't like the yast package manager compared to other package managers I have used.   Anyway, the Pardus team should be proud of themselves for putting out a distro that works pretty good "out of the box".  I don't feel like a beta-tester using Pardus.  Grin  My opinion. 
Lisa Marie

Edited to add: so as not to be unfair, I did the patch autoupdates/autoinstalls and it has fixed the login sound-spoke to soon-it did not.  I had to add user to additional groups and sometimes I do get login sound.  And, I could get used to the yast package manager.  I did like how easy it was to add repositories.  And this experience was much better than my one week experience with Fedora 9 for 64 bit processor.  I was hoping the updates would fix the audio cd recognition, but nope, it hasn't (I can play them, but there is no notification that pops up after an audio cd is inserted in optical drive-apparently it is a udev problem.)  Time to relax with Pardus.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 15:25:47 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 21:37:45 PM »

After a week or so, time to drop this red hot potato.  It is mentioned above in this thread about Novell, but it didn't sink in until today, after following waf's posts to the cool cursor themes to try in Linux- link  I followed a post at that site to a site called, boycott novell dot com and it didn't take much to realize the deals going between novell and MS.  Funny, when I installed openSUSE 11.1 and did the first update check, it had an update for Microsoft fonts.  The EULA agreement was enough to make me shiver.   I know it is hypocritical of me, as I have xp installed, but I don't want anything to do with MS on my Linux distro.   Plus, eh, openSUSE 11.1 is as I described above, is very buggy.  One interesting note is how KDE4+file manager "notifies" when an audio CD is installed into the drive.  I'm sure Pardus team will have to deal with this, too, when the time comes.  One fellow at this thread describes the problem:
http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=105494&highlight=

and now I am wondering, does Mandriva have this same type set up, where some company took them over, and they  have a commercial version and a free version.  I'll stick with Pardus. 
markcynt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 22:01:01 PM »

I was weaned on openSUSE 11.1

Been using Linux since February.

openSUSE is the distro I compare all others to. (KDE)

So far in addition to openSUSE I really like Mint 7 KDE RC1, and Pardus is looking good so far.

Mandriva was nice but just not for me.

Did not like Fedora, Kubuntu and PCLinux at all, although I'll try PCLinux again once they release 2009.3 with KDE4.

I just think it's great that there's so much to choose from.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: