Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 14:33:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Preloading a library only for apps that need it?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preloading a library only for apps that need it?  (Read 694 times)
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 22:04:57 PM »

I'm trying to get Wine working properly, and unfortunately PulseAudio, which I thought would help me, is causing problems. Wine crashes on playing any sound with the ALSA driver selected (using ALSA through PulseAudio), and locks up my sound card completely with OSS, preventing anything else from playing sound. So I tried preloading libpulsedsp, with the below line in /etc/profile:

Code:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libpulsedsp.so${LD_PRELOAD:+:$LD_PRELOAD}

This, however, caused kdeinit to fail, preventing parts of KDE from starting.

I'd like to get this working, without ditching Pulse and without starting wine from the CLI with padsp every time. Is it possible to make my system preload libpulsedsp.so *only* for applications that use OSS, so that things like kdeinit aren't affected? How would I do it, if so?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 22:34:34 PM »

Hello and welcome Gullible Jones,

If padsp works for your Windows application, why don't you make a shortcut on your desktop ?
This way, you should be able to launch your application with a simple click.

To do this : right-click on the desktop > "create a new..." > "link to an application"
On the "command" textbox, write the command line that launch it.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 00:12:57 AM »

Thanks, hadn't thought of that... Seems a bit kludgy though, I would have to do it for every application. Is there a way I can set KDE to run "padsp wine" instead of just "wine", for instance, so that stuff in Wine always gets OSS emulation?

(Ideally, though, it would be better to load libpulsedsp for everything using OSS... There has to be some way to do that, no?)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:06:52 PM »

Thanks, hadn't thought of that... Seems a bit kludgy though, I would have to do it for every application.

Do you use that much Windows application on Pardus ?

Is there a way I can set KDE to run "padsp wine" instead of just "wine", for instance, so that stuff in Wine always gets OSS emulation?

That's a worth trying idea. To do so, create a script with kwrite in your home directory that contains the following :

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
padsp wine $1

And save it to "LaunchWindowsAppOSS.sh" for example.

Then, give it executable rights by right-clicking on its icon > "Properties" > check "is executable"

Now, right-click on the icon of one of your WindowApp (that have ".exe" in its filename) ;
Choose "Open with" > "Other" ;
Fetch your script with the file selector button and validate your choice by clicking the "Ok" button Check "Memorize the application file type association" and click the "OK" button.

You are done. As for now, all your Windows executable files should be using OSS for their sounds.

(Ideally, though, it would be better to load libpulsedsp for everything using OSS... There has to be some way to do that, no?)

Maybe, but I don't know how to do it. You have to dive in the PulseAudio documentation to find out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:11:21 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 18:52:19 PM »

Ah, got a better method...

.exe file properties -> Edit file type -> Application preference order - > add -> "padsp wine start /unix"

Not the most elegant solution but it works. Thanks very much anyway!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: