Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 16:31:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Hello from the frozen north
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from the frozen north  (Read 1613 times)
Gullible Jones

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2008, 20:04:42 PM »

Hi, I'm Gullible Jones, and I hail from the (currently) frozen forests of Massachusetts.

I've been using Linux for a while. Most of my time on Linux was spent with Arch Linux, which just worked; but recently things have gotten a bit broken in the Arch repositories, and so I sallied forth to try out new distros.

I tried Debian. It worked, but it was sluggish.

I tried Xubuntu. It worked, but it was bloated, limited, and full of bugs, and had an annoyingly short release cycle.

I tried Scientific Linux. It was good, but the kernel was too old to support my hardware properly.

I tried several other distros, and all had their ups and downs. And eventually, I found Pardus.

It supported all my hardware out of the box. It ran fast. It used light, fast KDE3, instead of slow, bloaty KDE4. It "just worked" with minimal configuration, while at the same time being friendly to experienced Linux users. It even had the right flags in /etc/fstab by default. So I stuck with it; and now I'm glad to be part of the Pardus community.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »

Welcome!

Hopefully your good feeling about Pardus will hold on, meanwhile enjoy the relatively quite but helpful community here and keep sharing your experiences.

Greetings from the Netherelands!

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:28:30 AM »

Welcome too!
I am rubbish at Linux, but I enjoy it!
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Interesting introduction.
Welcome Gullible Jones !

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
waf
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 13:31:33 PM »

Welcome!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:15:06 AM by waf » Logged
Willem
M.D.
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 15:32:28 PM »

Hi Gullible Jones!
Great to have you here on the forum!  am glad you will enrich our small town community  Cheesy

For freedom...
oldog1984

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 16:33:28 PM »

hello to you . i hope you can stay warm up there.lol  have a good day
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »

Hi Gullible Jones,

A late but warm welcome!

oh, and azra, if you are rubbish at Linux, then I am all thumbs and toes!  Oh, just to remind you folks what a wonderful distro Pardus is, I recently got out of the packing box my 3 year old Apple intel iMac os x Tiger, and just can't get used to it,  and am happy to get back with Pardus.  I packed the Mac away when I knew we were putting our house up for sale.  I really need to sell it while it still holds some value.  But, for now I am retrieving a 163mb security update for it.  But, after using it for a few days I realize where my heart is - with Pardus!

Warmest regards, Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: