Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 00:02:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Wish list
| | |-+  Reference Managers for Oo Writer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reference Managers for Oo Writer  (Read 1610 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 20:27:06 PM »

- Something similar to EndNote for Windows that works with OOoo or Lotus (if it will be available in the repos).

Count me in. I was wondering whether there exists some sort of open source reference manager, the commercial packages are nice at work but IMO cost too much to buy for incidental use at home....however I will Google a bit to see whether I encounter such an open source application...

UPDATE:
http://pybliographer.org/

http://jabref.sourceforge.net/

http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Bibus_bibliographic_database

and (in developmental stage):

http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/

might be promising alternatives for RefMan or EndNote, I have not evaluated this yet.

UPDATE 2:
JabRef works in combination with OpenOffice Writer, I tested the Webstart version (this is a java application), and had to learn myself some things about OO writer and reference lists as well as read the JabRef manual on OpenOffice integration.

There is as I notice now even an OpenOffice integration plugin for Jabref 

Personnaly the Bibus project also looks quite nice and has also specific documentation on implementation with OpenOffice Writer
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 22:16:45 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

Good work Michiel
i haven't looked into this much, the only program I found was Telico that's in the repos. But it's not compatible with OOoo as far as I know.

I'll have a look at the programs you mentioned. Would be nice with a reference program to work with.

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »

Now guess what?

http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/contrib-2008/jabref-2.3.1-4-1.pisi

It was already available  Grin in  the contrib repo

And....apparently it was work by moderator Willem himself...good job Willem!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:27:50 AM by Michiel » Logged

MitraMai
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

Yes, I installed after I read your first post. But it's an earlier version that does not have support for plugins (i. e the openoffice- plugin). But maybe someone can update the version in the repos (I don't know how to do that).

HP nc4010, which I love dearly...
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 14:17:46 PM »

On my turn I posted a PISI request for an update of JabRef already  Grin Grin Grin

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=9003

Actually you do not need a PISI package per se, before installing the PISI I'd just installed the latest .jar, and you can run it by means of a simple java command and make a desktop-entrie for it.

However, I have just the idea it is more clean to install as much software as possible via the PISI packages system.

It will not take long to adjust and update the new PISI, it is only a matter of referrring within the existing PISI to the newest version of JabRef (instead of that from one year ago)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 14:21:16 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 14:27:29 PM »

One has apparently already been working on this:

--- Comment #1 from Akın Ömeroğlu <akin@omeroglu.net>  2009-01-09 13:24:38 ---
Hi,

You can find version 2.4.2 PiSi files at my playground. As a new packager I
need some test for package before update.

Can you build the package and test it please?

You can use

Code:
sudo pisi bi http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/akin/jabref/pspec.xml
in terminal for building.

Thanks a lot...

=========
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:44:12 AM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 18:51:01 PM »

Yes, I installed after I read your first post. But it's an earlier version that does not have support for plugins (i. e the openoffice- plugin). But maybe someone can update the version in the repos (I don't know how to do that).

After hours of puzzling I managed to get that beta openoffice-plugin for JabRef up and running in my Pardus 2008 system.

1) I installed the JabRef 2.4.2 version by the (yet unreleased) pisi package that is created by the code listed in my posting above (however the updated pisi package will appear within days in the contrib-2008 repo, so a bit of patience is the preferred way  Cheesy ).

2) Once you have JabRef 2.4.2. installed, download this plugin .jar file
http://jabref.sourceforge.net/plugins/net.sf.jabref.oo.ooplugin-0.1.jar

3) Then in the Konsole put it at the right place in the plugins folder you create first.

Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/jabref/lib/plugins
sudo cp /path/to/downloaded/pluginfile/net.sf.jabref.oo.ooplugin-0.1.jar /usr/lib/jabref/lib/plugins

4) After that once you start JabRef if all went well the Plugins entry in the menubar of JabRef is no longer greyed-out and show openoffice panel plugin, which you can select opening a panel at the left side of your JabRef GUI.

5) Now you are almost there. You should hit the button Connect to let JabRef find your OpenOffice suite, however it will return an error message untill you have imported at least one style file, I will attach that file also. (NOTE delete .txt extension, I only added that because .style extensions were not allowed as attachment here in the forum!)

Thereafter hit Connect and things should be up and running (if not select Manual Connect and specify the paths to your openoffice files, in my case Connect automatically worked and I did not have to use Manual Connect).

I pressed the button "Select Writer document" once, and then pressed the cursor in my Writer document once (do not know whether this is necessary when only one Writer document is open at that time).

Then...select a reference from your reference list and hit the button "Cite" or hit the b utton "Cite in text" and it will appear right away in your Writer document (i.e. you perform the action in JabRef and the citation automatically appears in Writer without having to copy/paste import or export or so).

I guess creating a button in your Writer bar that right away opens your JabRef window would be nice, and come a bit closer to Endnote/Word resemblance, but I have never tried creating such a shortcut in Writer.

PLEASE NOTE THE LIMITATIONS OF THE CURRENT DEVELOPMENT VERSION OF THE PLUGIN:
The OO plugin is in a very preliminary state, and the reason it is being distributed at this stage is to allow others to test it and give their feedback.

Known issues

* Make sure to save your Writer document in OpenDocument format (odt). Saving to Word format will lose your reference marks.
    * There is currently no support for footnote based citations.
    * The cursor may be poorly positioned after inserting a citation.

Good luck!

* example_style_file.jstyle.txt (2 KB - downloaded 111 times.)

* jrefoowriter.png (154.65 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 51 times.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 21:54:45 PM by Michiel » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: