Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:25:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  can't connect internet ; kppp crashing when try to set up account & password
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: can't connect internet ; kppp crashing when try to set up account & password  (Read 1817 times)
amitchowdhury

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »

Hi all,
I am new to Pardus and also new to this forum. I have installed Pardus 2008.1 . Recently i upgraded to KDE 4.2 RC1 .
But now my problem is i can't connect to internet as Kppp is crashing each time when i going to manually set the Account & modem (I have USB modem). There is no 'wvdial' in Pardus.

Please help me
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 20:00:03 PM »

Hi and welcome!
KDE 4 will not be implemented until 2009 and if you really want to use Pardus, I suggest you return to KDE 3?
From what I understand, KDE 4 versions are not getting any support and are just to give a glimpse of the future.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 22:55:48 PM »

Hi and welcome amitchowdhury,
You can report your problem as a bug, for it to be resolved in the final version of Pardus 2009.

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
amitchowdhury

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »

Thanks azra & phix.

I will report it to pardus http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

But i want to use KDE4 . So can u help me to compile wvdial & wvstream from source .

Plz help.

thanks
Amit
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 17:15:24 PM »

Hello Amit, and Greetings!

I use a dial up modem, so maybe I can help. 

Do you know what modem settings your modem uses (were you able to set it up using another LINUX distro, did wvdialconf give you settings?)

This first happened to me a few years back with when switching to a new modem using Mepis.

Recently, though, I had kppp crash happen often with KDE3 desktop, so the version shouldn't really matter.  I'm not sure what really caused it, but it was after I had already installed Pardus with one modem (Best Data using serial to USB adapter cable), which died from a thunderstorm.  I then switched to a US Robotics using the same cable and set it up as new modem, which is when I started getting the crashes.  I noticed that with the new modem set up, in the tab, modem commands, the fields were all blank, and I had to manually fill them in.  I had written the default fields down previously when using a live disk. But, I shouldn't have had to manually fill them in.   

I am now using a new modem and did a reinstall of Pardus 2008.1 and all is well, as the default fields were there, and I basically used the default settings.  My ISP requires PAP authentication, so I added PAP to the kppp selection of pap/chap.  My modem uses a usb cable and I'd already read up about this particular modem, that it uses device: ttyACM0.  My previous modems used ttyUSB0 since they used a converter cable.  Lock file is ticked.  I set modem speed to 57600, otherwise I had problems getting connected if I used anything higher. 

In case your modem commands field is blank, here are the defaults:
50, ATZ, Post init: 50, 70, OK, ATX3, ATDT, CONNECT,  BUSY,  NO CARRIER, NO DIALTONE, +++ATM, OK, ATA, RING CONNECT DIGITAL LINE DETECTED, +++, OK, 50, M0L0, M1L1, MLL3

Some of the newer USB modems are difficult to set up in kppp.   What modem are you using?

It would be nice to know how compile wvdial in Pardus, or that one day they will add it to the distro since it automatically detects the modem and tells you what module it uses.  wvdial detects my modem Baud/bps speed of 486000, which is much too fast.  I had to change it in wvdial.conf file to 57600. 
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 19:43:32 PM »

If you need to compile a source package, you'll have to install development tools first. You can do this simply by typing this command in a console:
Code:
sudo pisi install -c system.devel

First, you need to download the wvstreams archive,
extract it by right-clicking on its icon,
open the created directory with konqueror
open a terminal there by pressing the F4 key
then successively type the following commands :
Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install

Tell me if you passed this first step without any error message. There is a big chance you get the same error as me (error: 'sort' is not a member of 'std'), which you can report to the author.

amitchowdhury

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 19:15:43 PM »

Hi PhiX,

You r right, i have just got the error: 'sort' is not a member of 'std'
What to do next?

amit
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 21:14:13 PM »

You have to report the error at http://code.google.com/p/wvstreams/issues/list with all the details : copy of the error message, gcc version, Linux distribution (Pardus).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: