Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:25:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus Translation Aid
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus Translation Aid  (Read 5665 times)
Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 21:50:59 PM »

Hi there! I would like to contribute to Pardus development by translating it in my language (Italian); i emailed the italian translation project boss but he didn't answer me yet. Can anyone help me to understand what i'm supposed to do? I red all the information Pardus' site could give me, but there was no clue O_o
bubbel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

Hi there! I would like to contribute to Pardus development by translating it in my language (Italian); i emailed the italian translation project boss but he didn't answer me yet.

Hello Pepello,

have please a look here

Greetings
bubbel
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »

New Translator's Mini-Guide

File extension : .po

Where to find the .po files to be translated : search for po subdirectories on the Pardus SVN server

Tool: Lokalize (which is in kdesdk package)

Actual translation work :

1. Download a .po file (the more recent) from SVN ;
2. Open it with Lokalize ;
3. Translate successively all the untranslated strings ;
4. Save your .po file ;
5. Submit it for SVN commit on the Pardus translator's global mailing-list
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 14:32:45 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 21:47:32 PM »

Hi guys, thank you so much for your answers! I downloaded kbabel (which i had already downloaded when i wrote this post ^^) and i translated / completed a translation: now, how do i submit the .po file? Does kbabel do everything automatically? Or do i have to email it to everyone using the email address to the whole italian translation project? I'm sorry if i'm so full of questions, it's just that i don't want to cause a mess doing the wrong thing and ruining other people's work. For example, i found a function in kbabel, "send to (an archive)", thus i think that it could send the .po file directly to where it is needed, but am i right in my guess?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 16:25:39 PM »

Submit your .po file for SVN commit on the Pardus translator's global mailing-list means that you first have to subscribe to the mailing-list, and then send an email to pardus-translators@pardus.org.tr with your .po file attached to it.

You can subscribe to the italian mailing-list too, but, judging from its low activity, I doubt you would get a quick response from it.

Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »

Oh, ok. Quite simple indeed Cheesy I'll email it as soon as it's possible, since i already translated some .po files. Thank you for your help! Cheesy
Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 17:19:59 PM »

Ehm... i emailed it, but i guess there's some code of conduct to follow, since it arrived me a newsletter for pardus translator and i noticed messages from translator have to be written in a certain way. I wish there would be some how-toes to explain the translation process, not only a forum and a "learn as you do" way :p I hope not to harm the project too much with my inexperience :p Bye!
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 21:52:59 PM »

it arrived me a newsletter for pardus translator and i noticed messages from translator have to be written in a certain way.

I don't know anything about this newsletter. Can you post its content here, I'm curious.

I hope not to harm the project too much with my inexperience :p Bye!

Don't worry about that. If there is some errors in your translated files, you will be notified and guided in order to correct them.

Thanks Pepello for contributing to the translation effort !

bubbel
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 16:26:45 PM »

Thanks Pepello for contributing to the translation effort !

That follow I. Wink
Pepello
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 16:04:29 PM »

Thank you guys for your help! Cheesy And Phix, sorry, i have deleted the daily digest you were curious about :-( And i'm receiveing an error message when i try to enter pardus-translator O_o Got to figure out what happened.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 21:42:18 PM by Pepello » Logged
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »

Where to find the .po files to be translated : search for po subdirectories on the Pardus SVN server

There's no ru.po file in trunk_yali4_po. Not really surprising Smiley , but where can I get something to translate from? Something like en.po?
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »

You start with the general http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/trunk/yali4/po/yali4.pot
or preferred (since Pardus is still KDE 3.5): http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/trunk/yali/po/yali.pot

POT file, then edit that one and then you save it as ru.po, and you are the first to have created ru.po which may then be uploaded

so when you want to add a new translation  language you should start with the yali.pot and/or yali4.pot files and save them as ru.po

Personally I have played around with PO only once by creating the dutch translation for kdenlive video editor, this page on their site was quite helpful, if I remember correctly I even used lokalize the KDE4 application.

http://www.kdenlive.org/contribution-manual/how-translate-kdenlive

This will help you with PO
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:39:25 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:20:54 PM »

Thanks!
trixon
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »

Yes and no. Smiley
Do translate yali4 only, it's the current version since a while.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

Thanks for that additional remark, saves out a waste of time for Llama

I REALLY like the idea of Pardus getting available in RUSSIAN language as well, wow

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: