Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:21:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  [solved, the reinstall way]I lost PiSi GUI
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved, the reinstall way]I lost PiSi GUI  (Read 1342 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2009, 23:08:15 PM »

Hi all,

Today I, (and you'll know what comes next) I reinstalled Pardus 2008.1  Cheesy because, silly me wanted to change my os disk's partitions configuration.  I originally had XP installed on the first hard drive (NTFS), then I made the remaining free space extended, and in this extended, I created an NTFS partition for data storage/workspace for XP, followed by Linux Mint partition as ext3.  On second hard drive, Using gparted, I formatted the entire hard drive as 'extended' and then installed Pardus.  I allowed both Linux os's to install Grub, but I was never able to get Pardus grub menu to work, as I would get grub "error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition.". 
I'm not sure, but I think it is because I created an extended partition and put Pardus at the beginning of that partition, or maybe it is becuase Mint grub already had the spot on the MBR?  I was going to come here to ask  you all how to fix this, maybe change extended back to primary, but that to me sounded too complicated, and I decided to back up all of the PiSi repository cache on a disk and reinstall both Pardus and Mint.  So, good thing is I have a Pardus Grub menu now.  XP-NTFS on first hard drive, followed by a primary partition as NTFS (xp data storage), a primary partition as ext3 for Pardus. On the second hard drive I simply installed Linux Mint as primary and ext3 filesystem, and did not install Mint Grub. 

Since I didn't want to spend telephone time updating all 212 updates for Pardus, I stuck my Pisi cache backup disk in and for each pkg. entry, right clicked on it, "open with package manager", and it would install the package.  I had to do this one by one, but I got impatient and selected two packages at once and clicked "open with package manager", but it didn't do anything.  I rebooted system and PiSi icon is no longer in the kicker panel, and when I click on K Menu, and then click on PiSi Package Manager, it shows the little cat bouncing but it fails to bring up the package manager. 

Either the package manager didn't like the order of installed updates, or it was because I selected two pacackage files at once, just a guess. 

Thanks for reading over this.  I know, I'm doing things the hard way.  If I didn't have dial up, I would just download Pardus 2008.2.  Looking at sysinfo, it does say I have canis aureus installed as I had the kernel update on the disk.

Regards,
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:41:37 AM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 23:36:42 PM »

I think the damage is more severe than I had thought, as even System Settings>History Manager, Boot Manage, User Manager doesn't work, and some module missing error is given when I click on Display Manager - "the module Display Manager could not be loaded. " 

It's early in the install.  I think reinstalling and letting Pisi get the updates is the wisest thing to do. 

Lisa Marie
trixon
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 23:51:56 PM »

Hi, whats the output when you type this in Konsole?
Code:
package-manager
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »

Hi trixon,

ah, I already reinstalled, so I can't give you the output.  But, if I do try to update packages from my back up disk again and run into the same problem, I will try that. 

Everything was going well with choosing the packages singularly from my disk, and right clicking, "open with package manager" and then it would ask for my super user password and install each package (only had to enter the password once).  I did do the kernel update first as I knew that is required before doing any of the other updates.  I was just getting impatient and bleary eyed doing each package one by one, and wanted to hurry it along, and chose two python packages and that is when I broke PiSi and maybe some other stuff, as I could no longer finish installing any more packages that were probably dependencies.  Doing it this way, I really don't know what packages are the depency ones.  But, I was experimenting.  At one point, I even attempted (as root) to copy and paste all of the packages I had on the disk, to the PiSi package cache.  PiSi didn't like that and I got a spinning circle every time I hovered the mouse pointer over the package manager window.  I rebooted and that seemed to fix that problem.  So, definitely, I am experimenting here. 

Lisa Marie

P.S. edited to add, that, well, why not, I want to have the latest version on hand, and since I recently learned how to use wget on the iMac to get those huge security updates, I am using wget to download Pardus 2008.2 install cd.  I might as well make my 7 bucks a month for dial-up to be of use!  Cheesy  and wget is a lean and fast download manager compared to using a browser download utility.  Only 35 hours to go.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:49:58 AM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »

Here is my suggestion:
Maybe Clonezilla is  handy tool for you.
It is a live USB/CD tool to make/restore a partition/disk.
The USB version will fit on 125MB.
Look here how to make the USB version.

And as far as I know, extended or primary partitions do not make any difference in Grub.
Look here how to restore/manipulate Grub.
The best way to add another linux to the existing /boot/grub/menu.lst file is by adding:
title ..........
root (hd0,nn)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
Keep in mind that counting starts at 0.
The second partition on the first hard disk is hd0,3

I hope this is of any help !  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 13:09:56 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 15:04:31 PM »

Hi atolboo,

I've never heard of clonezilla.  Thanks! 

I did try the, how to restore grub for Pardus wiki, and when I did
grub> root (enter Tab Key
the output would be:
Possible drives are: hd0 hd1
choosing the first hard drive:
grub> root hd0enter Tab key twice
and it would output the three partitions, and what type of filesystems
but when I
grub> root (hd1enter Tab Key twice
it would not give any output of partitions, but just add a coma and the numeral 4 and a right parenthisis like this:
grub> root (hd1,4)
so even Grub wasn't able to figure out the filesystem.  I went ahead and chose hd1 and did the
setup (hd1)
and it said it found the stage1 or stage something grub on hd1 and successfully restored it, but as I mentioned, selecting any of the operating system listings in Pardus grub menu would give me the grub errors.  I got to the Pardus grub menu by hitting F8 and selecting to boot from second hard drive.

I looked at the disk layout with Ranish Partition Manager, which showed that on my second hardrive, the extended started at sector one, and Pardus ext3 started at sector 2  I don't know.  Maybe Mint Grub needed to be removed first.  I'm still learning about partitioning and Grub. 

That is a much easier way to configure the menu.lst.  Thanks atolboo.  I'm going to try that as I still have to add Mint to the Pardus Grub menu.lst. 

Thanks all!

Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 16:08:24 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 15:18:03 PM »

grub> root (hd1,4)
"root (hdx,y)" must point to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, which is used to restore Grub.
(x and y start counting from 0)
And when your bios points to the first hard disk to start from, the setup command should be:
setup (hd0)
This will restore Grub into the MBR of the first (hd0) hard disk.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 15:23:47 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 16:21:30 PM »

Got it.  I hope!  I had BIOS set up to boot from first hard drive that had xp, xp data partition and Mint, which would be hd0.  I was trying to restore Grub to hd1, the second hard drive where Pardus was.  In the Pardus grub, it showed Pardus at hd1,4 and this entry was found in the MInt Grub menu.lst, and I  was able to boot up Pardus successfully on the first hd, but what I was essentially trying to do was change from Mint Grub to Pardus Grub.

During installation, Mint Grub looks for other Linux distros and automatically adds them to the Grub menu.lst, but Pardus Grub doesn't have this functionality. 

I guess I needed to remove Mint's Grub. 

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 17:43:33 PM »

I had BIOS set up to boot from first hard drive
it showed Pardus at hd1,4
My suggestion:
Change/add the Pardus-entry in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file of Mint on hd0 into:
title Pardus 2008
root (hd1,4)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
and then point Grub with:
root (hd0,x)
and x should point to the partition of Mint on hd0
and restore Grub with:
setup (hd0)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 16:13:03 PM »

Hi atolboo,

I just wanted to thank you for these helpful answers!  I wish now I hadn't reinstalled so I could try out the suggestions to my previous partition problem, but I've saved this for future reference...in my web based email, just in case I...reinstall.  Grin 

Again, thanks for these - they will come in handy!

Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: