Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 20:23:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Installer cannot determine partition table on disk
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installer cannot determine partition table on disk  (Read 1411 times)
kanwar.plaha

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 23:09:20 PM »

Hi,

I am trying to install 2008.2 on my HP laptop 6530b. When it reaches the patitioning disk page, I choose 'Manual partitioning' since I already have multi-boot configuration on my laptop. However, on the next screen I can see the whole disk (/dev/sda) but no partitions under it.

The partition table is fine, btw, because I am writing this post from the same laptop booted into another Linux distribution!

Thanks for all replies.

PS: Using the same installation disk, I have installed Pardus 2008.2 to another laptop and it installed fine. Both laptops are different models.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 14:02:26 PM »

I don't quite understand your problem. You are at the partitionning stage of the install process, ok. But have you tried to make some partitions ?

See http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2008#Partitioning_method

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Erkan Yilmaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 18:19:57 PM »

I have heard a similar story from another user in #pardus - he said his partitions can be seen and accessed by windows but not during the Pardus installation. Not sure, what the prob was.

how about to make a "fdisk - l" and see if the partitions show up there
e.g. either before you start the Yali or e.g. start the live cd and do it from there

let's see if it is a yali bug or something else

Erkan YILMAZ
kanwar.plaha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:04:40 AM »

I don't quite understand your problem. You are at the partitionning stage of the install process, ok. But have you tried to make some partitions ?

See http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2008#Partitioning_method

I have a valid partition table on my laptop. It has a Windows Vista partition (came with the laptop) and then I have created 4 logical partitions, one of them my common home directory and stuff.

One of the logical partitions is where I want to install Pardus. However, when I get to the partitioning page (Custom partitioning), I don't see all the parititions -- just /dev/sda.
kanwar.plaha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:06:25 AM »

I have heard a similar story from another user in #pardus - he said his partitions can be seen and accessed by windows but not during the Pardus installation. Not sure, what the prob was.

how about to make a "fdisk - l" and see if the partitions show up there
e.g. either before you start the Yali or e.g. start the live cd and do it from there

let's see if it is a yali bug or something else

Erkan YILMAZ

Yes, I can see the partitions when I do fdisk -l in a konsole window. I've tried another distribution as well (latest alpha of Kubuntu) and it cannot see the partitions either. I also found a page on RedHat's site that mentioned a possible bug in libata ...
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »

Just to make sure : have you passed this screen ?
At this stage, it is normal to see only /dev/sda, as it is not a partition, but represents the entire hard drive.

If you are taking of the next screen, you have to write a bug report here : http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/enter_bug.cgi?product=YALI
Do not forget to mention the name of the Linux distribution that is already installed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 13:03:44 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: