Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 23:12:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  LiveCD; releases
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LiveCD; releases  (Read 821 times)
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »

Hi,

Maybe a silly question, but good enough for starters, I hope Smiley : Is the Pardus LiveCD (Pardus-2008.2-Canis-aureus.iso) a conventional (fully functional) one? It makes me either install or quit. Do I miss something?

Another question: what is the release system of Pardus? Is it a conventional one with yearly releases? Can it be upgraded in place from 2008 to 2009, for instance? I mean, safely and easily. It's a skilled job with other distros, unless they are rolling release...
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »

Hello and welcome Llama,

The download page offers you to download either the LiveCD or the InstallCD :
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/download.html
Judging by what you wrote, I would say that you have downloaded the InstallCD.

Major versions of Pardus Linux are released every year, as their names say : Pardus 2008 in year 2008, Pardus 2009 in year 2009, etc. Minor versions, for example 2008.1 and 2008.2, are in between.

Pardus is not a rolling release distribution per se, but it can nevertheless be upgraded without the need to redownload and reinstall the new version, either it is a minor or a major one. Is it always a safe process ? I cannot guarantee it. For safety purposes, I advise you not to rush when a new version is available. Waiting a little bit can spare you from possible trouble. If an upgading issue would ever emerge, warnings and workarounds would appear shortly after on the forum and on the wiki.

More details on : http://www.osor.eu/case_studies/a-new-kid-on-the-block-the-turkish-pardus-linux-distribution

PS : there is no silly question : if a question arises, that means there is a need of an answer.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:57:54 AM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »

Thanks!

My fault with the CD Smiley ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: