Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 18:02:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [Solved] Moving Music to and from iPod
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Solved] Moving Music to and from iPod  (Read 2134 times)
Hastings101

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »

Just wondering if there is a way to be able to access my iPod Touch in Pardus without using iTunes.  I've searched around a little and have not really found anything, so was wondering if someone could suggest something.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 20:53:26 PM by Hastings101 » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »

Don't know whether this can help you further but someone posted these sort of Linux alternatives for iTunes:

Amarok (the only alternative which has actually most functions of iTunes and looks quite similar and provides iPod-support)

Yamipod (only to manage the iPod)
 Rhythmbox (mainly to manage the  iPod)
 Songbird
 Banshee
 aTunes
 Quod Libet
 Exaile
 Listen
 gtkpod

Or did I misunderstand your question?

According to:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device:IPod

some iPod touch devices are supported and others not

Extract from the posted link above:
iPod Touch and iPhone
Devices with Firmware 1.x

Jailbroken iPhones and iPod Touchs (models introduced in 2007 only) with firmware revisions not newer than 1.1.5 with ssh installed work if their /var/root/Media directory is mounted via fuse/sshfs and if they are added manually as a media device. Then you can copy music via Wi-Fi with libgpod 0.6.0 or newer.

There is a step by step howto on http://www.fredemmott.co.uk/blog_121.

Recently, another method to access the iPod/iPhone filesystem, which does not require the device to be jailbroken, emerged: the FUSE filesystem iFuse allows to transfer data via USB. While the filesystem level access works for all iPhone and iPod touch models and firmware versions, the problem of computing a correct hash value, which is accepted by firmware revisions 2.0 and newer, is not yet solved and makes it impossible to transfer music to these devices.
Devices with Firmware 2.x

Using Amarok to transfer music to iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (models introduced in 2008) and all other models of iPod Touch and iPhone that have been upgraded to firmware 2.x requires the phone to be jailbroken, you must edit the file /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml on the phone, finding the key DBVersion and changing its value from a 4 to a 2[1]. Then follow the instructions as for firmware 1.x (sshfs or FUSE).

=================

In addition to this some people appear to have (partial) support for iPod Touch under Linux using Songbird.

Amarok 2 will ship shortly with iPod Touch support. For now only Songbird can be used, but iPod-support is not stable yet: http://www.getsongbird.com/

Edit: you have to install this Songbird add-on: http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12

Apparently the Touch is about the worst supported of all types of iPods in Linux, don't know why, but keep faith, it will only be a matter of time for things to get better  Grin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:53:57 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Hastings101

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 17:17:13 PM »

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  I'll try some of these and get back to you on how it goes.
Hastings101

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 19:31:15 PM »

"Using Amarok to transfer music to iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (models introduced in 2008) and all other models of iPod Touch and iPhone that have been upgraded to firmware 2.x requires the phone to be jailbroken, you must edit the file /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml on the phone, finding the key DBVersion and changing its value from a 4 to a 2[1]. Then follow the instructions as for firmware 1.x (sshfs or FUSE)."

I've tried some of the other methods without much success.  I want to try this way, but I don't really understand how I go about editing the file.  Is this required for the iPod 2.x software as well, and if it is, how do I go about doing this?
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 19:57:33 PM »

I am not into iPods at all, and especially not into jailbreaking or whatsoever.

Everything you do is at your own responsibility.

When you Google aorund a bit you will come across a program called pwnage to jailbreak 2.0 iPod devices.

When I google for "jailbreak ipod touch Pwnage Tool linux" I get some hits that may help you, but again be careful.

All i did is Google a bit around for you, you could have done that yourself  Wink

I have no expertise on this issue at all, and perhaps for legal reasons it is better to keep it that way.  Smiley

See also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

BTW to get back to your last posting's procedure do not forget to Google for "edit the file /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml" then you get e.g.  an thi extract from tophit

EDIT: This method only works through WiFi.

This post is purely for anyone out there like me, who has had such a headache trying to find a work around for ubuntu's (or should i say apple's) lack of support for the iphone with the newest firmware 2.x (that being 2.1 or 2.2) in linux.

I found this post (http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/01/using-amarok-and-other-itunesdb-compatible-software-with-the-iphone-2x/) particularly useful in figuring out a proper work around for it.

Basicly, changing a 4 to a 2 in /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml (you'll have to shh into the iphone in order to get it)
and copying the file onto your desktop, change the value under DBVersion then replacing the old Checkpoint.xml with the new one (MAKE SURE TO DO A BACKUP FIRST) will allow you to sync with amarok or any other iphone supported media player.

Hope this helps someone in need :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 20:12:47 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 20:06:11 PM »

Wanted to add that if I were you I would not start engineering my own iPod Touch firmware and would prefer waiting for new Amarok or Songbird relaeses that support your iPod Touch as is !

You never know what side-effects can occur when you change the firmware as mentioned (do all Apps still work etc etc)...

Hastings101

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 20:53:12 PM »

Wanted to add that if I were you I would not start engineering my own iPod Touch firmware and would prefer waiting for new Amarok or Songbird relaeses that support your iPod Touch as is !

You never know what side-effects can occur when you change the firmware as mentioned (do all Apps still work etc etc)...

Thank you Smiley, I don't really know anything about this myself, so wasn't sure if I'd find the right stuff via google.  I think I'll probably just wait instead of messing around with the iPod.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »

Songbird is developing

Current iPod device support status is in a survey here:
http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Docs/Device_Support/IPod_Device_Support

A recent version of Songbird in pisi format can be found here:
http://pchilfe-juergens.de/PISI-Pakete/pardus-2009/songbird-1.2.0-4-1.pisi

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: