Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:18:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  explanation with user account setup
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: explanation with user account setup  (Read 713 times)
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:46:39 AM »

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if you could add a small explanation to a section of YALI. The section is where you setup a user account. There is a box that asks if you want that user to have administrator rights.
I thought that this meant that the user would basically be a root user. I unchecked this box and I had all sorts of problems when I started to use Pardus... I almost gave up on the distro all together.
Perhaps beside the box it could say "allows user to engage temporary root access". Or this could be in a side bar.

I've been using linux for quite some time now and I had never seen that option before so it should have some explanation.

I know it's little but it confused me.
waf
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »

Welcome !

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2008

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:26:39 AM by waf » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 16:00:12 PM »

Good suggestion, tico!

This can be easily misunderstood, especially if you are coming from a ubuntu type os, as with say Mint, after install, and after entering password it gives a small welcome screen that asks if you want to give user root privileges, and it says in parenthesis, that normally you do not want to do this,  that it is best to leave it unchecked (I'm not certain of the exact wording), but when I first tried it out, my husband told me, "just say, "no", and he said, he wondered why Mint even asked this.  With Pardus, I have found the opposite to be true, that you should say yes to administrative privileges for user.  I'm not sure of the difference, but maybe it has something to do with one os using su and the other os using sudo.   I have done a reinstall when I first installed Pardus and didn't give user administrative privileges.  Waf's link is great in showing how to install Pardus, but if you don't have internet access while trying to install an operating system, well, you can't get to it to read it.   Wink

Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: