Lynis is an auditing tool for Unix (specialists). It scans the system and available software, to detect security issues. Beside security related information it will also scan for general system information, installed packages and configuration mistakes.
This software aims in assisting automated auditing, software patch management, vulnerability and malware scanning of Unix based systems. It can be run without prior installation, so inclusion on read only storage is no problem (USB stick, cd/dvd).
Lynis assists auditors in performing Basel II, GLBA, HIPAA, PCI DSS and SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) compliance audits.
What is Lynis NOT:
- Not a hardening tool: Lynis does not fix things automatically, it reports only (and makes suggestions).
Security specialists, penetration testers, system auditors, system/network managers.
Examples of audit tests:
- Available authentication methods
- Expired SSL certificates
- Outdated software
- User accounts without password
- Incorrect file permissions
- Firewall auditing
Stable releases are available, development is active.
- Compatible operating system (see 'Supported operating systems')
- Default shell
Supported operating systems
- Arch Linux
- Fedora Core 4 and higher
- Mac OS X
- Mandriva 2007
- OpenBSD 4.x
- Red Hat, RHEL 5.x
- Slackware 12.1
- Solaris 10