Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 17:59:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  User Manager-"apply" grayed out, not able to alter user groups
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: User Manager-"apply" grayed out, not able to alter user groups  (Read 1128 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 00:21:14 AM »

Hi all,

I noticed this when I first installed Pardus several months back, and decided to leave it alone, but, after recently getting a migration.log file, I thought I'd go ahead and remove "disk" from users groups.  Let me know if I should just leave the settings as they are. But, if I did want to untick on of the selections, I cannot click on "apply.  I'm sure it needs root privileges, but it doesn't pop up a window asking for one. 

So, Tasma>System>User Manager> highlight user ID which is 1000 for my user>Edit>Groups and try to untick "disk", which I can, but then cannot "apply" as apply is grayed out.  Curious why I cannot change any of these. 

My settings is login user has administrative privileges. 

Regards, Lisa Marie

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 19:27:12 PM »

Why do you need to stop being a member of the disk group ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 21:19:25 PM »

Hi PhiX,

I was a bit worried, especially after I received that migration.log file without knowing how it got there, though now I'm somewhat certain it happened after I ran a command line from reading a thread on mounting cdrom drives.  And probably from reading too many threads at another forum where people had to add "disk" to users "additional groups" as a workaround for disk reading problems, and that it is not a good idea, as a user could mess up stuff with this access to the hard drive.  But the same thing happens if I tick one of the unticked  entries to add to my user, I cannot click "apply". 

The only thing I can think of though for "apply" not being able to be clicked on is that this should require root password to alter, but User Manager doesn't ask for this.   I also had this same situation when I first had installed Pardus with user not having administrative privileges.  I wanted to add "give administrative privileges to this user", but it was already ticked and "apply" was not accessible.  Sorry for not explaining this very well. 

Lisa Marie
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 23:09:42 PM »

It is normal that you (your username) belong to the disk group.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »

Thank you!

Yes, I am in mint-ubuntu hybrid right now and checked what all user has listed, and disk is included.  The other forum I was referring to was open suse as many people were having to add "disk" to user groups because of a cdrom permissions bug, and some threads recommend adding your user to the "cdrom" and/or "disk" group. As one person stated, " The disk group gives raw access to all hard drives, so do be careful!"  The bug was later fixed by  a patch.
I see that different os's set up user management differently.  Ups,  I was comparing apples with oranges.   Wink

Thanks for the feedback!
Regards, Lisa Marie

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 18:59:15 PM »

Ups,  I was comparing apples with oranges. 

Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: